Old 22-10-2008, 11:07 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Bricks and mortar

len gardener wrote:

g'day trish,

i can't imagine any issues, spread it over as wide an area as you can.
i have hidden rubble broken roof tiles etc.,. under raised garden
beds, with no apparent negative results. any break down would be very
slow also. with mortar there could also be salt in it as the brickies
loam is generally unwashed and contains salt but again i can't see
this being as issue either.

Thanks, Len! I had no idea what I'd do with all that stuff otherwise. We
started off with two long beds against a fence, but the whole project
has been so successful, we've decided to go for broke and build another
two beds, 4.2m x 1.8m. Yippee! I have *flowers* and last week, I made a
spinach and feta pie from my own home-grown spinach! I can feel a
dedicated rose garden coming on...

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 22-10-2008, 01:24 PM posted to aus.gardens

We've just demolished an old brick barbecue and propose to bury the
rubble at the bottom of our new (40cm deep) garden bed. Is there likely
to be a problem if I put the mortar in as well as the broken bricks? I
know the mortar is alkaline, but am hoping it'll be deep enough not to
be a problem for me veggies. What do you think?

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 22-10-2008, 08:06 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day trish,

i can't imagine any issues, spread it over as wide an area as you can.
i have hidden rubble broken roof tiles etc.,. under raised garden
beds, with no apparent negative results. any break down would be very
slow also. with mortar there could also be salt in it as the brickies
loam is generally unwashed and contains salt but again i can't see
this being as issue either.

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 22:24:26 +1000, Trish Brown
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 22-10-2008, 11:05 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
We've just demolished an old brick barbecue and propose to bury the rubble
at the bottom of our new (40cm deep) garden bed. Is there likely to be a
problem if I put the mortar in as well as the broken bricks? I know the
mortar is alkaline, but am hoping it'll be deep enough not to be a problem
for me veggies. What do you think?

fwiw, i would :-)

it's only going to leach downwards, so it is hard to imagine it's going to
be a problem. having said that, some people claim that (for example) onion
roots actually go down 2 metres. my view is, the massive majority of onion
roots go down about 5cm - you can't even KNOW what's 2 metres down there!!!
and what the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't miss (or at any rate, worry
about). g

glad your beds are going well!
kylie

Old 23-10-2008, 04:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

"len gardener" wrote in message
news
g'day trish,

i can't imagine any issues, spread it over as wide an area as you can.
i have hidden rubble broken roof tiles etc.,. under raised garden
beds, with no apparent negative results. any break down would be very
slow also. with mortar there could also be salt in it as the brickies
loam is generally unwashed and contains salt but again i can't see
this being as issue either.

I think Len is right. Any leaching will be very slow to get into the soil
above.

David

Old 23-10-2008, 12:33 PM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
Trish Brown wrote:

We've just demolished an old brick barbecue and propose to bury the
rubble at the bottom of our new (40cm deep) garden bed. Is there likely
to be a problem if I put the mortar in as well as the broken bricks? I
know the mortar is alkaline, but am hoping it'll be deep enough not to
be a problem for me veggies. What do you think?

Unless Newcastle has alkaline soil (which I doubt), I can't imagine that it
would be a problem. Vegies tend to like it a little bit alkaline anyway.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/