GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Victa Formula V 2-stroke oil (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/179366-victa-formula-v-2-stroke-oil.html)

Fred 23-10-2008 02:59 PM

Victa Formula V 2-stroke oil

I have a 2-stroke mower (Victa) and bought a petrol line-trimmer (Talon).

I've been using Victa's Formula-V oil for the mower at the recommended
petrol-oil ratio of 50:1. For non-Victa oils, Victa recommends 25:1.

The line-trimmer requires 25:1.

Is it safe to use the Formula-V oil at 50:1 on the trimmer?

Thanks.

len gardener 23-10-2008 07:52 PM

Victa Formula V 2-stroke oil

g'day fred,

i don't know anything about victa's oil?

but with your trimmer i'd suggest you use an oil they recommend at the
correct rate, for me that's castrol tt oil.

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 23:59:07 +1000, "Fred" wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

[email protected] 23-10-2008 09:24 PM

Victa Formula V 2-stroke oil

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 23:59:07 +1000, "Fred" wrote:

I have a 2-stroke mower (Victa) and bought a petrol line-trimmer (Talon).

I've been using Victa's Formula-V oil for the mower at the recommended
petrol-oil ratio of 50:1. For non-Victa oils, Victa recommends 25:1.

The line-trimmer requires 25:1.

Is it safe to use the Formula-V oil at 50:1 on the trimmer?

Put it this way, if you use too much oil it will smoke a bit and may foul a plug (which can be easily cleaned and reused). Too
little oil and the engine will die. Permanently.

So use 25:1

Fred 25-10-2008 06:44 PM

Victa Formula V 2-stroke oil

wrote:
On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 23:59:07 +1000, "Fred" wrote:

I have a 2-stroke mower (Victa) and bought a petrol line-trimmer (Talon).

I've been using Victa's Formula-V oil for the mower at the recommended
petrol-oil ratio of 50:1. For non-Victa oils, Victa recommends 25:1.

The line-trimmer requires 25:1.

Is it safe to use the Formula-V oil at 50:1 on the trimmer?

Put it this way, if you use too much oil it will smoke a bit and may foul a plug (which can be

easily cleaned and
reused). Too little oil and the engine will die. Permanently.

So use 25:1

I'm not keen on over-using the Victa oil and producing excessive
smoke - particularly as they warn it's a potential carcinogen :(

It's so confusing to know how to use the Victa oil on other tools
that I'm tempted to switch to a standard 25:1 oil.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

len gardener 25-10-2008 07:32 PM

Victa Formula V 2-stroke oil

yes do that fred,

i use castrol tt (the one for mower engines) in all 2 stroke machines
always have done, get long life from teh engines and plugs, mix at the
recommended rate of the machine maker ie.,. 50:1 whatever.

terryc 26-10-2008 12:16 AM

Victa Formula V 2-stroke oil

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 04:44:42 +1100, Fred wrote:

I'm not keen on over-using the Victa oil and producing excessive smoke -
particularly as they warn it's a potential carcinogen :(

Remeber the Castrol "oils ain't Oils Sol" campain? Well, it was just
that. All smoke.

PC 08-03-2010 08:04 AM

Victa Formula V 2-stroke oil

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 23:59:07 +1000, wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len& bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Lens is right, as otherwise the trimmer will "coke up", the muffler will
be blocked and plugs will foul.
Theyre designed to keep the plug clean with the lesser amount of oil.