Old 25-10-2008, 01:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default planting Silver Birch - optimal spacing?

Hi All,

I have a couple of young Silver Birch trees, still in pots.

After doing a search, I'm still not completely sure of what spacing I
should use when planting... I'd like to plant one either side of my main
front gate (I'm on acreage in Tasmania).

Plenty of sites state that max size is around 20m high x 10m wide, and
that the tree is "short lived". I'm not sure what their definition of
"short lived" is though? Also, approximately how many years are we
talking about when it comes to reaching full size?

I figure if the trees take 10-20 years to get near full mature size, that
I could plant them a bit closer, and I'd have plenty of time to prune/
train branches away so they don't reduce clearance through the gate.

So... what spacing would be best under the circumstances?
They will have full sunlight, the soil is pretty good, well drained with
plenty of organic matter (but I don't know the PH as yet).

I have plenty of compost, chook poo and a bag of dynamic lifter available
to feed the trees. I want to provide optimal conditons for growth, so if
there is anything else I should add, I'd be interested to know.

I suspect that some of the local critter might find the young foliage
tempting, so plan use stakes & chicken mesh for protection.

Having only known tropical horticulture, I'm on a bit of a crash course
learning all about temperate zone trees and plants in general... thanks
for any help.
Old 25-10-2008, 06:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 00:04:48 +0000, Jeßus wrote:

[...]

I settled on 3.5m spacing...

---------------------------------
Betula pendula 'Fastigiata'
Family: Betulaceae.
Landscape value: An adaptable, columnar birch with a silvery-white
trunk and contorted, twisted branches creating an interesting effect in
winter. Betula pendula 'Fastigiata' is suitable as a specimen tree for
landscape effects or for use in areas where lateral space is limited.
Height: 11 metres.
Width: 4 metres.
Growth rate: Moderate.
Habit: Columnar, fastigiate, tending to be narrowly ovate when older.
The outer branches slightly incurve and intertwine.
Foliage: Bright green, triangular leaves with doubly serrate
margins. Butter yellow in autumn.
Flowers: Small flowers borne in catkins. Male and female flowers
are separate on the same plant (monoecious).
Fruit: Small winged nutlets borne in a pendulous 'cone' (a strobilus)
that sheds in autumn.
Bark: Ornamental, papery white bark that exfoliates in sheets. Becoming
black fissured on the lower trunk when older.
Tolerances: Prefers a moist, well drained soil, but will tolerate
relatively wet or dry positions. Adaptable to varied pH values.
Comments: If pruning is required, it should be carried out in late
summer or early autumn, as pruning in late winter or early spring causes
the tree to 'bleed' excessively.
Old 27-10-2008, 07:21 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 00:04:48 +0000 (UTC), Jeßus
wrote:

[...]

How big they grow depends on temperature mainly. A grove in Iceland
has hundred year old trees that wouldn't reach the ceiling of a room.
Yet one I saw planted in Sydney said 'thanks a lot' and raced up to
the height of the single storey house in no time.

There probably won't be any creatures to blight the tree, given it is
exotic.

As for pruning, the essential beauty of a Silver Birch is in the
tracery of its branches. Pruning would destroy that appearance.

http://www.hainaultforest.co.uk/5Silver%20birch.htm

Space them by 10 m so each one can form properly.
Old 27-10-2008, 09:56 PM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the advice Richard.

Turns out that two of the three seedlings I have are 'Pendula' - I am
under the impression that this variety grows somewhat smaller? Anyway, I
planted them 3.5m either side of the gate posts. So they're easily 10m
apart.

I also need a windbreak along one fence line and now I'm considering
using Silver Birches as the main tree for this as well - they should help
block the wind but not overly block the view excessively. Plus, they look
fantastic come winter time of course!

Cheers

Old 28-10-2008, 11:38 PM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:
[...]

I don't think SIlver Birch would be any use as a windbreak. The
foliage is not dense enough in summer. There is no foliage in winter,
because it is a deciduous tree.

Old 30-10-2008, 08:42 PM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:
[...]

I did consider that, but most wind breaks down here (Tas) seem to be
deciduous for some reason.

Old 31-10-2008, 12:08 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 20:42:33 +0000, Jeßus wrote:

I don't think SIlver Birch would be any use as a windbreak. The foliage
is not dense enough in summer. There is no foliage in winter, because it
is a deciduous tree.

I did consider that, but most wind breaks down here (Tas) seem to be
deciduous for some reason.

Are the winds bad when the leaves are on?

Might just have been that the planted rows are mis-identified as wind
breaks.

BTW, a good wind break leaks and slows the wind, rather than totally stops
it. By doing so, its effect covers a wider area.

Old 31-10-2008, 03:08 AM posted to aus.gardens

snipped

I don't think SIlver Birch would be any use as a windbreak. The foliage
is not dense enough in summer. There is no foliage in winter, because it
is a deciduous tree.

I did consider that, but most wind breaks down here (Tas) seem to be
deciduous for some reason.

With respect, that sounds daft to me - unless Tasmanian windbreaks are
not intended to work in winter but are instead protecting from the hot
NW winds of summer. And then Silver Birch would offer little
protection because of its open foliage.
Old 31-10-2008, 03:59 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 00:04:48 +0000 (UTC), Jeßus
wrote:

I'm not seeing any posts on my machine for the abovementioned person
(although I used to see their posts) and when I did a google groups check to
see what the thread was about, I noticed that s/he has asked for their
messages not to be archived.

So, 2 questions. 1) How does on get google groups not to archive somethign
without the yes: no-archive not in an email?
2) Anyone got any idea why I used to see posts from this person and now
don't?

Old 31-10-2008, 08:01 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:08:18 +1100, terryc wrote:

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 20:42:33 +0000, Jeßus wrote:

I don't think SIlver Birch would be any use as a windbreak. The
foliage is not dense enough in summer. There is no foliage in winter,
because it is a deciduous tree.

I did consider that, but most wind breaks down here (Tas) seem to be
deciduous for some reason.

Are the winds bad when the leaves are on?

Might just have been that the planted rows are mis-identified as wind
breaks.

Could well be - to me they look like wind breaks, only because I can't
see any other function. I'm also not sure what the tree/shrub I always
see used is - but it's very bushy and thick, even when devoid of leaves.

BTW, a good wind break leaks and slows the wind, rather than totally
stops it. By doing so, its effect covers a wider area.

Yep - I know I won't ever stop the winds here... especially when it often
blows equally strong from 2 to 3 different directions simultaneously.

Old 31-10-2008, 08:03 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 14:08:19 +1100, Richard Wright wrote:

snipped

I don't think SIlver Birch would be any use as a windbreak. The
foliage is not dense enough in summer. There is no foliage in winter,
because it is a deciduous tree.

I did consider that, but most wind breaks down here (Tas) seem to be
deciduous for some reason.

With respect, that sounds daft to me - unless Tasmanian windbreaks are
not intended to work in winter but are instead protecting from the hot
NW winds of summer. And then Silver Birch would offer little protection
because of its open foliage.

I don't know, see my reply to terryc for my thoughts on the 'wind breaks'
I see everywhere here.

Old 31-10-2008, 08:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

I'm not seeing any posts on my machine for the abovementioned person
(although I used to see their posts) and when I did a google groups
check to see what the thread was about, I noticed that s/he has asked
for their messages not to be archived.

That should not be the case (no archive).

So, 2 questions. 1) How does on get google groups not to archive
somethign without the yes: no-archive not in an email?

Possibly GG is not set up properly to handle X-No-Archive?

2) Anyone got any
idea why I used to see posts from this person and now don't?

Could be so many things... could be my not-quite-compliant headers as
well...