Old 27-10-2008, 10:54 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Crimson Bottlebrush and allergies?

G'day,

does anyone here have any experience with allergic symptons after
working with flourishing Crimson Bottlebrush trees?

I read about symptoms similar to hay fever when sniffing the flowers,
but I am more wondering about a large rash after skin contact with the
tree or its flowers. Is that something that others have experienced?

- Xilander
Old 28-10-2008, 01:37 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 14:54:59 -0700 (PDT), Xilander Xinandu wrote:

G'day,

does anyone here have any experience with allergic symptons after
working with flourishing Crimson Bottlebrush trees?

I read about symptoms similar to hay fever when sniffing the flowers,
but I am more wondering about a large rash after skin contact with the
tree or its flowers. Is that something that others have experienced?

Never with a callistemon, but I am allergic to grevilleas, as are hundreds of thousands of people.

Old 16-02-2014, 02:59 PM posted to aus.gardens

Probably pointless to post in a thread this old, but what the heck. I grew up in central California, and there were a lot of crimson bottlebrush trees in my city. The only time in my life that I have ever broken out in a large blistery rash was on two separate occasions when I was exposed to pollen from these trees. On the first occasion, I stood directly under one for 20-30 minutes, waiting for a bus, and on the second occasion, I brushed up against a flower cluster on a short tree that was overgrowing a narrow path. On both occasions, the trees were in full bloom. I think it's the pollen that makes me break out. I found this thread while looking for information on similar plants that I might be allergic to, since I moved to a very different growing zone a while ago, and haven't thought to look before. I don't know if this is helpful, but it can be a relief to know that you're not the only person with that kind of reaction.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

Yes, I have an allergy to Bottlebrush Trees, I have only just discovered this and I am quite shocked about this as I have been blaming my raised very red itchy, inflamed skin on insect bites as the beginning of hives always start with spots like bites. I put the Bottlebrush to the test by deliberately rubbing a flower against the inside of my forearm to test if there is a reaction and sure enough next morning I had very itchy, red, inflamed hives!

Old 15-05-2015, 05:01 PM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:
G'day,

does anyone here have any experience with allergic symptons after
working with flourishing Crimson Bottlebrush trees?

I read about symptoms similar to hay fever when sniffing the flowers,
but I am more wondering about a large rash after skin contact with the
tree or its flowers. Is that something that others have experienced?

- Xilander

Yes, I have an allergy to Bottlebrush Trees, I have only just discovered
this and I am quite shocked about this as I have been blaming my raised
very red itchy, inflamed skin on insect bites as the beginning of hives
always start with spots like bites. I put the Bottlebrush to the test by
deliberately rubbing a flower against the inside of my forearm to test
if there is a reaction and sure enough next morning I had very itchy,
red, inflamed hives!

are youabsolutely sure the plant is infested with some mite or such.?

Old 18-05-2015, 12:38 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

wrote:
G'day,

does anyone here have any experience with allergic symptons after
working with flourishing Crimson Bottlebrush trees?

I read about symptoms similar to hay fever when sniffing the flowers,
but I am more wondering about a large rash after skin contact with
the tree or its flowers. Is that something that others have
experienced?

- Xilander

Yes, I have an allergy to Bottlebrush Trees, I have only just
discovered this and I am quite shocked about this as I have been
blaming my raised very red itchy, inflamed skin on insect bites as
the beginning of hives always start with spots like bites. I put the
Bottlebrush to the test by deliberately rubbing a flower against the
inside of my forearm to test if there is a reaction and sure enough
next morning I had very itchy, red, inflamed hives!

You send three replies within five minutes to a post that's seven years
old?

Still on a server after 7 years wow...

OK.

Sorry to hear of your allergy.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Old 25-05-2015, 10:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:
[...]

Usenet as it's supposed to be - not the version Google is pre-empting,
removing the technology hurdle of finding a server and setting up an account
and packaging for the hoi polloi.

Google have your usenet, email, phone and/or tablet operating system (?),
youtube uploads, web search history and geographical search history. How do
you quantify a soul? When is TMI actually TMI?

Old 26-05-2015, 09:12 AM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

wrote:
[...]

I do not use Google in it's various (nepharius) forms. Unfortuately I was
given an iphone4.
Don't use utube and use duckduckgo as my search engine.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:29 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Tuesday, October 28, 2008 at 7:54:59 AM UTC+10, Xilander Xinandu wrote:
G'day,

does anyone here have any experience with allergic symptons after
working with flourishing Crimson Bottlebrush trees?

I read about symptoms similar to hay fever when sniffing the flowers,
but I am more wondering about a large rash after skin contact with the
tree or its flowers. Is that something that others have experienced?

- Xilander

I have several of this species, and if I work in the garden in that area, or brush past them, I break out in hives, extremely painful and last for up to 10 days. My 2nd last episode was a trial after the 1st reaction cleared up. Sure enough I broke out again, currently recovering.
Old 26-02-2019, 10:49 AM posted to aus.gardens

I have had a severe reaction today. I was emptying a garden bag with bottlebrush offcuts. Any pieces of exposed skin broke out in painful, and very itchy, hives. Similar to post above.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:25 PM posted to aus.gardens

I had a bad reaction to the red flower. A piece was in the hammock chair which I sat in for a long while. I later had burning in the shower, 4 little red marks and pain. I thought it was a bug bite and tried to squeeze the stinger. By the next morning it was oozing, red and had a red ring around it. Size of a quarter. Plus blisters started forming around it. After a week I was put on antibiotics but no help then prescription creams & cortisone. After a month its is going away. Very painful and hard to get rid of. Who knew? Thanks for this or I would still be wondering what happened.

White Lies - where do we get all these cancers, allergies etc? pt1 aquachimp United Kingdom 17 16-12-2010 11:27 PM
Vegetable foliage allergies David in Normandy[_8_] United Kingdom 11 04-07-2009 11:32 PM
Fescue and allergies Eigenvector Lawns 3 22-08-2007 02:52 AM
Sarcochilus Dove Crimson X Zoe Crimson 3 P Max Orchid Photos 0 01-03-2007 12:24 PM
Allergies to orchids (was: This Orchid Stinks) Eric Hunt Orchids 11 13-12-2003 09:02 PM