GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   birds and pea tendrils (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/179570-birds-pea-tendrils.html)

faeychild 02-11-2008 02:14 AM

birds and pea tendrils

Do birds attack bean tendrils?

This morning I fully intended to put climbing poles and mesh around my beans
but when I went back out to do so some hours later, the tendril was lying over
half bitten and crushed.
This has happened to several plants. Don't know whether to persevere with
peas/beans or give up.

Has anyone had or seen this happen?

I'm in east Melbourne with magpies, ravens and lorikeets. I don't know if any
of them are to blame.

--
faeychild

Anne Chambers[_2_] 03-11-2008 07:24 AM

birds and pea tendrils

faeychild wrote:
Do birds attack bean tendrils?

This morning I fully intended to put climbing poles and mesh around my beans
but when I went back out to do so some hours later, the tendril was lying over
half bitten and crushed.
This has happened to several plants. Don't know whether to persevere with
peas/beans or give up.

Has anyone had or seen this happen?

I'm in east Melbourne with magpies, ravens and lorikeets. I don't know if any
of them are to blame.

Yes, I found magpies attacking my climbing beans this morning.

--
Anne Chambers
South Australia

anne dot chambers at bigpond dot com

faeychild 03-11-2008 10:07 PM

birds and pea tendrils

Anne Chambers wrote:

faeychild wrote:
Do birds attack bean tendrils?

This morning I fully intended to put climbing poles and mesh around my beans
but when I went back out to do so some hours later, the tendril was lying
over half bitten and crushed.
This has happened to several plants. Don't know whether to persevere with
peas/beans or give up.

Has anyone had or seen this happen?

I'm in east Melbourne with magpies, ravens and lorikeets. I don't know if
any of them are to blame.

Yes, I found magpies attacking my climbing beans this morning.

Hmm slightly depressing news.

Do the beans still grow with the tendril chewed off?
Does it sprout a new one?

obviously I've never grown vegetable before.
--
faeychild

Anne Chambers[_2_] 03-11-2008 11:41 PM

birds and pea tendrils

faeychild wrote:
Anne Chambers wrote:

faeychild wrote:
Do birds attack bean tendrils?

This morning I fully intended to put climbing poles and mesh around my beans
but when I went back out to do so some hours later, the tendril was lying
over half bitten and crushed.
This has happened to several plants. Don't know whether to persevere with
peas/beans or give up.

Has anyone had or seen this happen?

I'm in east Melbourne with magpies, ravens and lorikeets. I don't know if
any of them are to blame.

Yes, I found magpies attacking my climbing beans this morning.

Hmm slightly depressing news.

Do the beans still grow with the tendril chewed off?
Does it sprout a new one?

obviously I've never grown vegetable before.

If they've still got leaves, they should be OK.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 04-11-2008 12:43 AM

birds and pea tendrils

"faeychild" wrote in message
Anne Chambers wrote:

faeychild wrote:
[...]

Yes they grow new ones.

David

faeychild 04-11-2008 08:25 PM

birds and pea tendrils

Anne Chambers wrote:

Hmm slightly depressing news.

Do the beans still grow with the tendril chewed off?
Does it sprout a new one?

obviously I've never grown vegetable before.

If they've still got leaves, they should be OK.

Thanks to David and Anne for answers, Yes several growing healthy plant just
missing the twirly bit out the top.

--
faeychild