GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Shade tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/179863-shade-tree.html)

justin burns 20-11-2008 07:54 AM

Shade tree

Im after some ideas for a tree for my yard looking for a tree thats fast
growing and the roots wont cause any problems to house something around 10m
high
by 6plus wide it will be about 10m from house and will get full afternoon
sun.
thanks Justin

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 21-11-2008 02:21 AM

Shade tree

"justin burns" wrote in message
Im after some ideas for a tree for my yard looking for a tree thats fast
growing and the roots wont cause any problems to house something around
10m high
by 6plus wide it will be about 10m from house and will get full afternoon
sun.
thanks Justin

Where are you and what sort of soil do you have?

David

[email protected] 21-11-2008 08:17 PM

Shade tree

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 18:54:59 +1100, "justin burns" wrote:

Im after some ideas for a tree for my yard looking for a tree thats fast
growing and the roots wont cause any problems to house something around 10m
high
by 6plus wide it will be about 10m from house and will get full afternoon
sun.
thanks Justin

Fast growing and no root problems don't often go together.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 21-11-2008 09:33 PM

Shade tree

"justin burns" wrote in message
in melbourne and have hard clay type soil

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"justin burns" wrote in message
Im after some ideas for a tree for my yard looking for a tree thats fast
growing and the roots wont cause any problems to house something around
10m high
by 6plus wide it will be about 10m from house and will get full
afternoon sun.
thanks Justin

Where are you and what sort of soil do you have?

David

I have clay soil also and have had success with the rough barked apple,
Angophora floribunda. It's a gum tree that grows quickly (tubestock to 6m
in 4 years) to about 8-25m, the upper limit would only be reached in ideal
conditions. It likes clay and is frost and drought hardy. I cannot speak
for the roots issue as I don't care as I don't plant trees anywhere near the
house. If you google for the scientific name you will get more info and
pictures. If you want something smaller try some of the larger long-lived
acacias such as A. melanoxylon (Tasmanian blackwood).

You can get good information in NSW from the Forestry who also have
nurseries, I presume Vic has similar.

David

Dinsdale Pirana 22-11-2008 12:11 AM

Shade tree

wrote in aus.gardens:

Im after some ideas for a tree for my yard looking for a tree thats fast
growing and the roots wont cause any problems to house something around 10m
high
by 6plus wide it will be about 10m from house and will get full afternoon
sun.
thanks Justin

I had a Liquid Amber in a garden when I lived in Sydney. I thought it
was a great shade tree and because it lost its leaves in winter it let
the sun in during the cold months when you needed it. I can't say that
I saw any problem with the roots and by then it was about a 5 metre
tree and pretty close to the house (full brick).

I suppose if you don't like cleaning up the leaves for composting then
they are a bit of a bugger but it is worth it for the autumn colour
alone.

Regards
Dinsy

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - Lucretius

Chookie 26-11-2008 11:51 AM

Shade tree

In article ,
Dinsdale Pirana wrote:

I had a Liquid Amber in a garden when I lived in Sydney. I thought it
was a great shade tree and because it lost its leaves in winter it let
the sun in during the cold months when you needed it. I can't say that
I saw any problem with the roots and by then it was about a 5 metre
tree and pretty close to the house (full brick).

Five metres tall and close to the house? You are lucky you moved. They grow
to TWENTY-FIVE METRES. Moreover, they are famous for penetrating drains and
cracking concrete.

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/199...rees_and_palms
/liquidambars

A maple can provide deciduous shade without quite so much drama. But for
speed, I'd find an appropriate wattle.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/