Old 21-11-2008, 12:30 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default help - Can I propagate these?

I have just collected what I presume to be seed pods. The plant is one
of those things with a single tall stalk (a couple of metres), a red
flower on top and pointed leaves from the base (about .75 to 1 metre.
Even the name won't come to me at the moment.

Can I propagate them from these pods which I don't think are yet ripe?
A couple of photos of them are at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/psycho12/

Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the plant but they are not
uncommon.

Thanks

Regards
Dinsy

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - Lucretius
Old 22-11-2008, 05:29 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
Dinsdale Pirana wrote:

I have just collected what I presume to be seed pods. The plant is one
of those things with a single tall stalk (a couple of metres), a red
flower on top and pointed leaves from the base (about .75 to 1 metre.
Even the name won't come to me at the moment.

Gymea lily? Spear lily?

Can I propagate them from these pods which I don't think are yet ripe?
A couple of photos of them are at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/psycho12/

Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the plant but they are not
uncommon.

See this forum page:

http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/l...329235129.html

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/
Old 23-11-2008, 03:53 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 10:22:59 +1100, Dinsdale Pirana wrote:

They are indeed the Gymea Lilly and the page you quoted talks about
germinating from seed however I don't think I have the seeds yet. I
presume the seeds come from the pods I have so I guess I will have to wait
until they dry out.

If the seed pods are green, you might not have viable seeds unless that is
how the plant drops them.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:13 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryc View Post
On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 10:22:59 +1100, Dinsdale Pirana wrote:

They are indeed the Gymea Lilly and the page you quoted talks about
germinating from seed however I don't think I have the seeds yet. I
presume the seeds come from the pods I have so I guess I will have to wait
until they dry out.

If the seed pods are green, you might not have viable seeds unless that is
how the plant drops them.
Sounds like a hippiastrum (please excuse spelling) seed should be viable leave in a airy/sunny spot to thoroughly dry then plant and get set for a long wait, weeks or months.If they are hippies much quicker to look around the base/clump for stray bulbs (pups). god bless
Old 10-12-2008, 03:14 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris anthem um View Post
Sounds like a hippiastrum (please excuse spelling) seed should be viable leave in a airy/sunny spot to thoroughly dry then plant and get set for a long wait, weeks or months.If they are hippies much quicker to look around the base/clump for stray bulbs (pups). god bless
sorry for bad info lol i shoulda read on.hippiastrum indeed.cheers

Propagate Jasmine? O United Kingdom 4 08-07-2003 02:08 AM
Do hyacinths propagate? John Bachman Ponds 18 18-06-2003 03:44 PM
when do swords propagate? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 20-04-2003 06:26 AM
when do swords propagate? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 9 01-04-2003 05:56 PM
Evergreen Clematis Armandi - propagate? [email protected] Gardening 2 20-03-2003 02:08 PM