Old 27-11-2008, 05:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Sacred Bamboo

I like the idea of Nandina Sacred Bamboo as a fence screen. It has soft
feathery leaves.

Any thoughts about this plant. The magazine says it is non-invasive. Has
anyone got it in their yard, and if so, are you happy with it?

Thanks
Katherine

Old 27-11-2008, 08:50 AM posted to aus.gardens

"jones" wrote in message
I like the idea of Nandina Sacred Bamboo as a fence screen. It has soft
feathery leaves.

Any thoughts about this plant. The magazine says it is non-invasive. Has
anyone got it in their yard, and if so, are you happy with it?

Thanks
Katherine

It spreads and thrives on neglect but may not grow high enough and/or
densely enough to screen your fence.

My preference would be NZ Flax - Phormium tenax which will grow to 2 - 3
metres and cover the fence line. Comes in a variety of colours too. Someone
is selling the seed of the green and grey types on eBay. Nandina planted in
front of that would be nice.

Old 27-11-2008, 09:40 PM posted to aus.gardens

jones wrote:
I like the idea of Nandina Sacred Bamboo as a fence screen. It has
soft feathery leaves.

Any thoughts about this plant. The magazine says it is non-invasive.
Has anyone got it in their yard, and if so, are you happy with it?

Thanks
Katherine

It is not a true bamboo and doesn't spread like many bamboos. One thing
though, the seeds/berries are poisonous.

Old 28-11-2008, 01:42 AM posted to aus.gardens

Thank you for the replies.

We get a lot of birds in our yard and I would hate them to eat the poisonous
berries.

I will check google to see what the NZ Flax looks like.

Old 28-11-2008, 04:12 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Nov 27, 4:27*pm, "jones" wrote:
Any thoughts about this plant. The magazine says it is non-invasive. Has
anyone got it in their yard, and if so, are you happy with it?

Hmmm... I have one in my backyard hidden under a mulberry bush.
Reading here that it is poisonous, I will probably be getting rid of
it.

I need to check with real estate first, but if you're in Sydney, you
can have mine. Let me know if you are interested.

(It may be a dwarf variety... it's fairly small currently, but it
lives in the shade, so who knows)

Cheers

Brock

Old 28-11-2008, 07:49 AM posted to aus.gardens

"jones" wrote in message

I like the idea of Nandina Sacred Bamboo as a fence screen. It has soft
feathery leaves.

Any thoughts about this plant. The magazine says it is non-invasive.

Snort! Which magazine was that. I'd like to know so I can avoid ever
wasting money on it.

Has
anyone got it in their yard, and if so, are you happy with it?

Well you can't kill it with any herbicide I've ever found, you can't stop it
finding its way into the septic system and blocking it up every few years
but it does give great umbrella to put over young seedlings till they have a
chance to establish themselves.

I'd never, ever plant it voluntarily but as I can't kill the mongrel stuff,
I use it.

Old 28-11-2008, 01:19 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Sacred Bamboo - FarmI

Hello FarmI,

The magazine was a gardening one I picked up at Mitre 10. Not a glossy
expensive one, but a free one "Australian Garden Guide" It says not
invasive as this variety is not really a bamboo like those awful ones.

Katherine

Old 28-11-2008, 01:23 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Sacred Bamboo - Brock

Thank you for the offer of your plant Brock. I will have to do more research
on it - about the berries being poisonous before I commit to growing it.

At the moment I am busy taking out that awful Asthma Weed. Tha councils
provide a mask, gloves and a big bin bag (try saying that fast) to put the
weeds in, so it doesn't get mixed in with the compost. It goes in the
ordinary rubbish bin.

Katherine

Old 30-11-2008, 07:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

"jones" wrote in message

The magazine was a gardening one I picked up at Mitre 10. Not a glossy
expensive one, but a free one "Australian Garden Guide" It says not
invasive as this variety is not really a bamboo like those awful ones.

There are in fact quite a few bamboos which are called clumping bamboos and
which are not considered to be invasive, but I still wouldn't plant them
either. Sacred bamboo is similar to the clumping bamboos. It doesn't put
out the sort of persistent and hugely invasive but runners of a bamboo but
it certainly clumps very well.

The dwarf Sacred bamboo is very mild and I wouldn't even say that it has a
clumping habit but that wouldn't be tall enough to cover a fence. The stuff
that is big enough to hide a fence is definitely a clumper and I'd put it
into the invasive category. Plant it if you have a big garden and don't
ever intend to remove it but be aware that is can certainly be invasive.

Old 30-11-2008, 01:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

Thanks FarmI,

I only have a small garden - I suppose it is called a courtyard these days,
so I won't put any kind of bamboo in there.

Would love to know more about this Ginger Meggs Plant I saw. Looks pretty.

Katherine