Old 27-11-2008, 09:20 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Using seed potatoes vs. 'ordinary 'spuds?

Might seem like a naive question - but I'm still learning all about
temperate climate veggies

Pros & Cons of using proper seed spuds vs. spuds from the grocers?

For those that have tried both - what are your experiences and
conclusions?

Thanks.
Old 27-11-2008, 09:39 PM posted to aus.gardens

Jeßus wrote:
Might seem like a naive question - but I'm still learning all about
temperate climate veggies

Pros & Cons of using proper seed spuds vs. spuds from the grocers?

For those that have tried both - what are your experiences and
conclusions?

Thanks.

Seed potatoes are certified disease free and are grown under strict
quarantine conditions. Also you can be certain of the variety.

Old 27-11-2008, 10:30 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Jeßus" wrote in message
Might seem like a naive question - but I'm still learning all about
temperate climate veggies

Pros & Cons of using proper seed spuds vs. spuds from the grocers?

For those that have tried both - what are your experiences and
conclusions?

Thanks.

Seed potatoes are generally smaller so it is cheaper to plant them whole
(although they can be cut provided you leave at least one eye on each part
and preferably let the cuts callus before planting) and they should be
certified disease free. Other than that they ought to be exactly the same
as grocer's unless the grocer's taters are diseased. What is the chance
that grocer's potatoes carry disease? I don't know.

David

Old 27-11-2008, 11:27 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 08:39:10 +1100, GreenieLeBrun wrote:

Jeßus wrote:
Might seem like a naive question - but I'm still learning all about
temperate climate veggies

Pros & Cons of using proper seed spuds vs. spuds from the grocers?

For those that have tried both - what are your experiences and
conclusions?

Thanks.

Seed potatoes are certified disease free and are grown under strict
quarantine conditions. Also you can be certain of the variety.

Yes, those were the only benefits I could come up with myself.
I'd be inclined to take my chances with plain old shop bought spuds,
unless I came across the varieties I'm after as seed potatoes.

Thanks for your reply Greenie.
Old 27-11-2008, 11:29 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 09:30:45 +1100, David Hare-Scott wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message
Might seem like a naive question - but I'm still learning all about
temperate climate veggies

Pros & Cons of using proper seed spuds vs. spuds from the grocers?

For those that have tried both - what are your experiences and
conclusions?

Seed potatoes are generally smaller so it is cheaper to plant them whole
(although they can be cut provided you leave at least one eye on each
part and preferably let the cuts callus before planting) and they should
be certified disease free. Other than that they ought to be exactly the
same as grocer's unless the grocer's taters are diseased. What is the
chance that grocer's potatoes carry disease? I don't know.

Thanks David. As I've just mentioned to Greenie, I'll probably just use
spuds sourced from the grocer.

Old 28-11-2008, 01:26 AM posted to aus.gardens

Hi,
I used to use the spuds that were bought for eating that had got a bit old.
Then I got a sort of blight. The young spuds turned into a sort of foul
smelling bag of milky fluid in the ground. Not only ruined that planting,
but other attempts to plant in the same area. I'd stick to seed potatoes.
Cheers,
Dan

Old 28-11-2008, 08:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

" Dan" wrote in message
Hi,
I used to use the spuds that were bought for eating that had got a bit
old. Then I got a sort of blight. The young spuds turned into a sort of
foul smelling bag of milky fluid in the ground. Not only ruined that
planting, but other attempts to plant in the same area. I'd stick to seed
potatoes.
Cheers,
Dan

i've had that happen from a purchased seed potato :-) (unbelievably foul,
isn't it?)

even if a potato does not commence life diseased, they can pick things up
from the soil (or elsewhere) once planted, sadly. otherwise, every potato
crop would be magnificent & there would be no diseased potatoes anywhere!!

to the o.p. i'd say use seed if you want a particular kind, and they are
surely better (not to mention much cheaper than the retail price for eating
potatoes) but honestly, grocer's potatoes are fine too, especially since it
is a useful thing you can do with them if they've greened or sprouted while
you weren't looking.
kylie

Old 28-11-2008, 08:49 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 01:26:50 +0000, Dan wrote:

Hi,
I used to use the spuds that were bought for eating that had got a bit
old. Then I got a sort of blight. The young spuds turned into a sort of
foul smelling bag of milky fluid in the ground. Not only ruined that
planting, but other attempts to plant in the same area. I'd stick to
seed potatoes.

Yes, I guess it come down to how lucky one feels

I guess, if I come across the right kind of seed spuds (Red Rascals is
the variety I'm interested in for now) then I'll use proper seed spuds.
If not... I'll take my chances with some grocer bought spuds.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 28-11-2008, 09:06 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 08:46:18 +0000, 0tterbot wrote:

" Dan" wrote in message
Hi,
I used to use the spuds that were bought for eating that had got a bit
old. Then I got a sort of blight. The young spuds turned into a sort of
foul smelling bag of milky fluid in the ground. Not only ruined that
planting, but other attempts to plant in the same area. I'd stick to
seed potatoes.

i've had that happen from a purchased seed potato :-) (unbelievably
foul, isn't it?)

Indeed it is!
Which brings up an interesting point - a lot of my bought spuds have gone
'bad' from time to time. But I keep using the same wicker basket for
storage... which may well be harbouring the disease?

Anyway, I intend making a whole new storage area in one of my sheds along
these lines (root cellar using old freezer):
www.ehow.com/how_5806_make-deep-freeze.html

even if a potato does not commence life diseased, they can pick things
up from the soil (or elsewhere) once planted, sadly. otherwise, every
potato crop would be magnificent & there would be no diseased potatoes
anywhere!!

to the o.p. i'd say use seed if you want a particular kind, and they are
surely better (not to mention much cheaper than the retail price for
eating potatoes) but honestly, grocer's potatoes are fine too,
especially since it is a useful thing you can do with them if they've
greened or sprouted while you weren't looking.

Thanks for your reply

Old 29-11-2008, 01:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

" Dan" wrote in message
Hi,
I used to use the spuds that were bought for eating that had got a bit
old. Then I got a sort of blight. The young spuds turned into a sort of
foul smelling bag of milky fluid in the ground. Not only ruined that
planting, but other attempts to plant in the same area. I'd stick to
seed potatoes.

i've had that happen from a purchased seed potato :-) (unbelievably
foul, isn't it?)

Indeed it is!
Which brings up an interesting point - a lot of my bought spuds have gone
'bad' from time to time. But I keep using the same wicker basket for
storage... which may well be harbouring the disease?

Very likely the basket has fungal spores in it. Wash it with soap and water
and put it out in the sun for a few days.

David

Old 29-11-2008, 03:20 AM posted to aus.gardens

" Dan" wrote in message
Hi,
I used to use the spuds that were bought for eating that had got a bit
old. Then I got a sort of blight. The young spuds turned into a sort of
foul smelling bag of milky fluid in the ground. Not only ruined that
planting, but other attempts to plant in the same area. I'd stick to
seed potatoes.

i've had that happen from a purchased seed potato :-) (unbelievably
foul, isn't it?)

Indeed it is!
Which brings up an interesting point - a lot of my bought spuds have gone
'bad' from time to time. But I keep using the same wicker basket for
storage... which may well be harbouring the disease?

Anyway, I intend making a whole new storage area in one of my sheds along
these lines (root cellar using old freezer):
www.ehow.com/how_5806_make-deep-freeze.html

Ever opened an old non-working refrigerator that has had something left in
it? Those instructions will not work in Australia.
That is just a slow cooker deep in the earth. what you are doing is hoping
that heat leakage out of the freezer is greater than the "hibernation"
heat of the veges. It may work there because they get snow and/or ice
forming on the ground (Point 7).

The problem as I see it is hat there is no coolng air flowing through the
veges.If anything is living, it is going to be creating heat and venting
gasses that need to be removed.
Old 29-11-2008, 06:45 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day,

certified seed potato's are supposed to be disease free ie.,. potato
blight, if you ever get it then growing spuds again there might be out
of the question?

i generally buy certified's as it gives me the all at once supply, and
also on the just in case disease safety side as well.

but i have grown from ordinary spuds out of the fridge, and never had
any disease problems. here we grow through the winter months planting
about march/april and where they get pretty much full sun especially
all of the late sun.

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 21:20:30 +0000 (UTC), Jeßus snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 04-12-2008, 08:10 PM posted to aus.gardens

" Dan" wrote in message
Hi,
I used to use the spuds that were bought for eating that had got a
bit old. Then I got a sort of blight. The young spuds turned into a
sort of foul smelling bag of milky fluid in the ground. Not only
ruined that planting, but other attempts to plant in the same area.
I'd stick to seed potatoes.

i've had that happen from a purchased seed potato :-) (unbelievably
foul, isn't it?)

Indeed it is!
Which brings up an interesting point - a lot of my bought spuds have
gone 'bad' from time to time. But I keep using the same wicker basket
for storage... which may well be harbouring the disease?

Very likely the basket has fungal spores in it. Wash it with soap and
water and put it out in the sun for a few days.

Good idea and will do, thanks David.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:15 PM posted to aus.gardens

" Dan" wrote in message
[...]

Good points, which I'll keep in mind.
I do know of a few people in Aus who seem to have had success with this
idea, obviously depends on the local environment/climate as well, i.e it
is not unusual to get frosts here at xmas time. Cheers.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:17 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 18:45:36 +0000, len gardener wrote:

g'day,

certified seed potato's are supposed to be disease free ie.,. potato
blight, if you ever get it then growing spuds again there might be out
of the question?

i generally buy certified's as it gives me the all at once supply, and
also on the just in case disease safety side as well.

but i have grown from ordinary spuds out of the fridge, and never had
any disease problems. here we grow through the winter months planting
about march/april and where they get pretty much full sun especially all
of the late sun.

Thanks Len. I'll probably play it safe and go for seed spuds, assuming I
find the right varieties at the right time. I found a small plot of spuds
growing here the other day, I have no idea what variety or origin, theyre
just starting to flower now.

Cheers