GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   harvesting onions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/180010-harvesting-onions.html)

Andy 29-11-2008 04:07 AM

harvesting onions

I have a crop of onions with large bulbs.
The tops are still green.
One onion has put out a flower, which I broke off.
Is it OK to bend all the tops over now to stop further flowers setting and
to get the onions ready for harvesting.
Thanks
Andy

loosecanon 29-11-2008 04:57 AM

harvesting onions

"Andy" wrote in message
I have a crop of onions with large bulbs.
The tops are still green.
One onion has put out a flower, which I broke off.
Is it OK to bend all the tops over now to stop further flowers setting and
to get the onions ready for harvesting.
Thanks
Andy

yes bend over the tops will encourage extra growth into the bulb. Can reduce
the amount of water given now too.

Andy 29-11-2008 07:58 AM

harvesting onions

"Loosecanon" wrote in message

"Andy" wrote in message
I have a crop of onions with large bulbs.
The tops are still green.
One onion has put out a flower, which I broke off.
Is it OK to bend all the tops over now to stop further flowers setting
and to get the onions ready for harvesting.
Thanks
Andy

yes bend over the tops will encourage extra growth into the bulb. Can
reduce the amount of water given now too.

Thanks Loosecanon :-)