Old 02-12-2008, 01:03 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Mulberry flowering and fruiting

What time of year does the black mulberry flower? Books say November to
January and I recall from childhood we had fruit by Xmas. I have fine
healthy specimens 2m tall with no sign of flowers yet. How much is the time
influence by climate and location or cultivar?

David

Old 02-12-2008, 02:09 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 12:03:14 +1100, David Hare-Scott wrote:

What time of year does the black mulberry flower?

I'm not sure what you mean by "black" mulberry, but ours has fruited and
been eaten. Sydney.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:23 AM posted to aus.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
What time of year does the black mulberry flower? Books say November
to January and I recall from childhood we had fruit by Xmas. I have
fine healthy specimens 2m tall with no sign of flowers yet. How much
is the time influence by climate and location or cultivar?

David

They are ripening now in Melbourne

Old 02-12-2008, 02:39 AM posted to aus.gardens

"terryc" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 12:03:14 +1100, David Hare-Scott wrote:

What time of year does the black mulberry flower?

I'm not sure what you mean by "black" mulberry, but ours has fruited and
been eaten. Sydney.

I mean Morus nigra, as opposed to the white mulberry or the shahtoot which
are fairly commonly grown.

David

Old 02-12-2008, 02:43 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 12:03:14 +1100, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:

What time of year does the black mulberry flower? Books say November to
January and I recall from childhood we had fruit by Xmas. I have fine
healthy specimens 2m tall with no sign of flowers yet. How much is the time
influence by climate and location or cultivar?

G'day David, ours from a bit further south than yours also hasn't done
much this year. Usually it would have fruited and been picked and eaten
by now, but I only saw a few fruit there this year (and the birds/bats
got most of those).
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Tuesday is Soylent Green day"

Old 02-12-2008, 09:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

What time of year does the black mulberry flower? Books say November to
January and I recall from childhood we had fruit by Xmas. I have fine
healthy specimens 2m tall with no sign of flowers yet. How much is the
time influence by climate and location or cultivar?

Mine have already flowered and fruited. Mind you, the fruit was a total of
about 6 mulberries but they are only babies which I planted last year for my
sericulture.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:16 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

What time of year does the black mulberry flower? Books say November to
January and I recall from childhood we had fruit by Xmas. I have fine
healthy specimens 2m tall with no sign of flowers yet. How much is the
time influence by climate and location or cultivar?

Mine have already flowered and fruited. Mind you, the fruit was a total
of about 6 mulberries but they are only babies which I planted last year
for my sericulture.

I thought silkworms preferred a different type of mulberry.

David

Old 05-12-2008, 01:58 AM posted to aus.gardens
Ed Ed is offline

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
What time of year does the black mulberry flower? Books say November to
January and I recall from childhood we had fruit by Xmas. I have fine
healthy specimens 2m tall with no sign of flowers yet. How much is the
time influence by climate and location or cultivar?

David

Hi David, mine are in fruit now, at the small not ripe stage, ie still
light red colour, it looks like quite a good crop, so I've put the bird net
on, because otherwise the blackbirds get the lot. We are in surburban
Melbourne. I grow ours surrounded by violet and curry bush as a book on
companion planting recomends this.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:48 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

What time of year does the black mulberry flower? Books say November to
January and I recall from childhood we had fruit by Xmas. I have fine
healthy specimens 2m tall with no sign of flowers yet. How much is the
time influence by climate and location or cultivar?

Mine have already flowered and fruited. Mind you, the fruit was a total
of about 6 mulberries but they are only babies which I planted last year
for my sericulture.

I thought silkworms preferred a different type of mulberry.

They are supposed to prefer the white mulberry, but mine have eaten black
mulberry quite happily. They are also supposed to be able to eat oak leaves
but I don't know anyone who has managed to get their silkworm to eat oak.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:10 AM posted to aus.gardens

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given writes:

I thought silkworms preferred a different type of mulberry.

They are supposed to prefer the white mulberry, but mine have eaten black
mulberry quite happily. They are also supposed to be able to eat oak leaves
but I don't know anyone who has managed to get their silkworm to eat oak.

As kids we fed ours on leaves from the black mulberry. Silkworms also
can be fed on lettuce leaves (for white silk), and beetroot leaves (for
pink silk). We did try the lettuce; but I can't remember whether we
tried for pink silk.