Old 08-12-2008, 07:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default slow release

I imagine that it's not much use scattering slow release fertilizer on top of
mulch. Surely it would require hose watering or rain to get it to penetrate.

There wont be too much of either of those phenomena in Melbourne.

--
faeychild
Old 14-12-2008, 07:28 PM posted to aus.gardens

no, but if it does rain I can just see you out there scattering away.
We've had plenty up here is syd. Everywhere is scattered!
jules

Old 18-12-2008, 10:50 PM posted to aus.gardens

"faeychild" wrote in message

I imagine that it's not much use scattering slow release fertilizer on top
of
mulch. Surely it would require hose watering or rain to get it to
penetrate.

There wont be too much of either of those phenomena in Melbourne.

i'm not sure it's much use scattering slow release fertiliser in general, is
it? :-) i thought that type of thing needs to be mixed into the soil,
otherwise it won't be damp enough to release anything anyway, & it's too big
to work itself in with rain when the rain does come.

blood & bone is a slow release fertiliser you can scatter, although i always
water it in just a wee bit, otherwise it might blow away. lime can be
scattered too. if you can settle it, then you can just wait for rain to turn
up & send the particles downwards.

you probably want to pull back the mulch & spread sheep poo or dynamic
lifter or b&b or whatever you've got underneath, then put it back. it sounds
like a hassle, but is probably not so bad. personally i find it less
tiresome to just keep applying nutritious mulch onto the top & do it that
way; it just breaks down as it goes. i am lazy. :-) you can't do this with
bark chips or stones or that sort of thing, though.
kylie

Old 20-12-2008, 10:17 PM posted to aus.gardens

faeychild wrote:
I imagine that it's not much use scattering slow release fertilizer on top
of mulch. Surely it would require hose watering or rain to get it to
penetrate.

There wont be too much of either of those phenomena in Melbourne.

It does conjure up a vision, doesn't it?
--
faeychild