Old 22-12-2008, 08:27 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default aerating a large lawn on the cheap?

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 09:58:58 +1100, terryc wrote:

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 20:31:09 +0000, Jeßus wrote:

After which it'd probably be a permanent resident

Yes
1) Fate
2) SWMBO really wanted to keep that one.

Heh
Old 22-12-2008, 08:46 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 13:59:53 +1100, David Hare-Scott wrote:

[apologies for delay, this got marked as 'read' for some reason...]

"Jeßus" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 01:34:35 +1100, David Hare-Scott wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message
Just a quick one:

I have about 1.5 acres of 'lawn', the soil appears to be fairly
compacted and so I'd really like to aerate it as it clearly needs
doing so.

I also want to introduce clover seed and other varieties as well, so
yet another reason it needs doing.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear of any ideas of how to do this
without spending hundreds (or more) on equipment.

Any good ideas on building something to do the job perhaps? I have a
ride- on and ATV to tow any such gadget around if need be.

TIA.

You could pay a contractor to plough, harrow and seed it.

I could - or might be able to - but thats not a good long term
solution.

Why not? What has the long/short term got to do with it?

I just wish to DIY here as much as possible, and this is something I can
do myself - once I locate suitable materials

Unless you know a local with the right gear and skills,

I don't know where you are. People who do this are fairly common where
I am (country NSW north of Newcastle)

N.E Tassie here, well and truly out in the 'sticks'.

Yes, I do know of one person who could do it for me, although his works
more by 'ripping' rather than by punching holes into the ground. This
would be fine for down the back, but around the house area, it'd make a
bit of a mess IMO (I've seen the finished result in the neighbours
property).

the only other
option is DIY. Try getting an electrician or plumber out here, for
example - forget it!

I have exactly the same problem with tradesmen but I would not have such
a problem with ploughing and seeding, different issue altogether. If a
neighbour couldn't do it they would know somebody who could. This is
only a small job for a tractor and spreader they would normally be doing
20 or 50 acres around here, 200 or 500 out west (but they have bigger
tractors!).

The trouble with DIY is doing it with human-powered gear is out of the
question unless you have much time and are very fit, cheaper than going
to the gym I suppose.

Well, I am in pretty good shape now thanks to all the chores I now need
to do myself. I've been cutting, splitting and stockpiling full loads of
Ironbark for firewood once a week since I moved here last July

Anyway, as mentioned, I have an ATV quad and a ride on mower, so no
problems towing it.

On a related topic:

My spreader *finally* arrived (communicating with couriers here is a
nightmare) last Friday. Only took 3.5 weeks - all the way from Hobart (a
mere 3 hour drive!)... Still, it only cost about $300, I couldnt find
anything else under $1300 (not all that much better in build quality
anyway). So the wait was worth it... Anyway, I digress.

It's now put together, ready for use. I'll wait another week for the
grass to grow, then give it a test run. Looks like there will be a lot of
trial and error to work out the setting for the correct rate of release
of fertiliser and/or seed. I might try a few dummy runs with the 30y/o
sawdust I have access to, thats assuming it doesnt clog it up.

I'm hoping the sawdust *won't* clog up in the spreader, as I was thinking
about spreading the sawdust each and every time I cut the grass, since
there is not much in the way of organic matter in the lawn. Previous
owners clearly used a catcher for many years, unfortunately. Not
something I'll ever do!

aerating lawn: anyone try those shoes? Heidi Gardening 8 15-08-2003 04:42 PM
Aerating Lawn Chris Lawns 3 06-06-2003 03:32 AM
Aerating the lawn - which type of sand ged hickman United Kingdom 1 18-05-2003 08:44 PM
Aerating the lawn. Jerry Lawns 4 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Aerating the lawn. Jerry Lawns 1 30-03-2003 04:56 PM