Old 13-12-2008, 10:38 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default aerating a large lawn on the cheap?

Just a quick one:

I have about 1.5 acres of 'lawn', the soil appears to be fairly compacted
and so I'd really like to aerate it as it clearly needs doing so.

I also want to introduce clover seed and other varieties as well, so yet
another reason it needs doing.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear of any ideas of how to do this without
spending hundreds (or more) on equipment.

Any good ideas on building something to do the job perhaps? I have a ride-
on and ATV to tow any such gadget around if need be.

TIA.
Old 13-12-2008, 11:55 PM posted to aus.gardens

Jeßus wrote:
Just a quick one:

I have about 1.5 acres of 'lawn', the soil appears to be fairly compacted
and so I'd really like to aerate it as it clearly needs doing so.

I also want to introduce clover seed and other varieties as well, so yet
another reason it needs doing.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear of any ideas of how to do this without
spending hundreds (or more) on equipment.

Any good ideas on building something to do the job perhaps? I have a ride-
on and ATV to tow any such gadget around if need be.

TIA.

Have a look here http://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/txt/s1893717.htm
watch the video and you can expand on that idea .

There is or was a thing called the billy goat lawn aerator had a honda
or briggs on it about 5 hp but was less than 20 inches wide

However, if you have a welder do what I did ages ago
get some old tynes off a seeder or rotary hoe
weld the tynes onto a plate that can then be bolted onto your wheel
studs then take the car vehicle for a shake rattle and roll about
the paddocks being sure not to snap off the studs

I later refined that idea to welding the plates on a a frame type thing
with a centre axle and the plates ran along that axle (axis)
Had 2 x 44 gal drums on their sides and just altered the weight by water
fill/empty and took the thing for a drag via the tow ball on the landie .

That thing still lives in Tassie as I loaned to a bloke up at Exeter
before I left

Try a scale model with just star pickets or channel bar and go from
there however a POWERED version is much better albeit more expensive

But your a bright lad hope this helps .

There are the Sheppard Boys (clan) in your neck of the woods
"Big nose" is handy on such solutions RED & White Boat was a Cray
scallop fellah back in the late 80's if he is still around

top bloke fine mind and would help you I am sure
Old 14-12-2008, 02:34 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Jeßus" wrote in message
Just a quick one:

I have about 1.5 acres of 'lawn', the soil appears to be fairly compacted
and so I'd really like to aerate it as it clearly needs doing so.

I also want to introduce clover seed and other varieties as well, so yet
another reason it needs doing.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear of any ideas of how to do this without
spending hundreds (or more) on equipment.

Any good ideas on building something to do the job perhaps? I have a ride-
on and ATV to tow any such gadget around if need be.

TIA.

You could pay a contractor to plough, harrow and seed it.

David

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --
Old 14-12-2008, 10:59 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 22:38:37 +0000, Jeßus wrote:

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear of any ideas of how to do this without
spending hundreds (or more) on equipment.

Any good ideas on building something to do the job perhaps? I have a
ride- on and ATV to tow any such gadget around if need be.

Buy or make something to tow behind your ride on tractor.

It really is a case of a drum filled with concrete with spikes, or a
length of pipe.

If you could lay your hands on some steel pipe, you could weld some heavy
nails to it.

Simplest axle is large pipe through middle of concrete with thinner pipe
inside and you weld the two arms ofthe tow hitch to the thinner pipe.

Alternatively, look for a old vehicle-towed trailer and scavenge the axle
and hubs from that, although about $AUS60 would buy you a pair of
replacement trailer hubs from the cheap auto places.

I would hesitate to suggest a 44gal drum as that is a lot of concrete.
might be better with something like a 20Litre or slightly bigger drum and
just tow it every time you mow.

I hope you are not removing the cut grass, but leaving it as a mulch. you
could also add other material as mulch thinly spread. This is how I
recover bare patches under my trees and feed my lawn. I get large trailer
loads of show rabbit bedding delivered from a breeder, which I thinly
spread over the lawn each load, amongst other places.

I'd suggest bales of rice husks, but given the major slump in our rice
harvest, they are probably hard to find and rather expensive. (Nearly a
decade since SWMBO was raising cute bunnies).

sigh, off to delivery four kittens to the pound, then buy lots of
chocolate for SWMBO to console her)
Old 15-12-2008, 01:24 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 08:55:45 +0900, PhilC wrote:

Jeßus wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the info Phil. I'll have to ask about the "Sheppard Boys",
cannot recall hearing their name before.

I do have a Mig welder - still all shiny and never used, bought 2 or 3
months ago. Also have to teach myself the art of Mig welding, which I'll
do when time permits I have a lot of projects on the go here, cheers

Old 15-12-2008, 01:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 01:34:35 +1100, David Hare-Scott wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message
Just a quick one:

I have about 1.5 acres of 'lawn', the soil appears to be fairly
compacted and so I'd really like to aerate it as it clearly needs doing
so.

I also want to introduce clover seed and other varieties as well, so
yet another reason it needs doing.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear of any ideas of how to do this
without spending hundreds (or more) on equipment.

Any good ideas on building something to do the job perhaps? I have a
ride- on and ATV to tow any such gadget around if need be.

TIA.

You could pay a contractor to plough, harrow and seed it.

I could - or might be able to - but thats not a good long term solution.

Unless you know a local with the right gear and skills, the only other
option is DIY. Try getting an electrician or plumber out here, for
example - forget it!

Old 15-12-2008, 01:39 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 09:59:27 +1100, terryc wrote:

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 22:38:37 +0000, Jeßus wrote:

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear of any ideas of how to do this
without spending hundreds (or more) on equipment.

Any good ideas on building something to do the job perhaps? I have a
ride- on and ATV to tow any such gadget around if need be.

Buy or make something to tow behind your ride on tractor.

The latter is what I had in mind.

All the buying I have done this year has got to stop, need to DIY where
possible... it's been a very expensive year for me.

It really is a case of a drum filled with concrete with spikes, or a
length of pipe.

If you could lay your hands on some steel pipe, you could weld some
heavy nails to it.

Simplest axle is large pipe through middle of concrete with thinner pipe
inside and you weld the two arms ofthe tow hitch to the thinner pipe.

Alternatively, look for a old vehicle-towed trailer and scavenge the
axle and hubs from that, although about $AUS60 would buy you a pair of
replacement trailer hubs from the cheap auto places.

I would hesitate to suggest a 44gal drum as that is a lot of concrete.
might be better with something like a 20Litre or slightly bigger drum
and just tow it every time you mow.

Thanks Terry, there are some good ideas there.

I did think of something drum-like in shape with spikes, but as you
mentioned, a 44gal drum will end up weighing too much - unless I use
something lighter than concrete. But plenty food for thought there, for
sure. I'll keep an eye out for something like a 44gal drum, only smaller
diameter.

I hope you are not removing the cut grass, but leaving it as a mulch.

Oh yes indeed I am.

That said, I bought this property in July this year, I strongly suspect
the previous owners were removing the cuttings. Bugger-all organic matter
visible.

you could also add other material as mulch thinly spread. This is how I
recover bare patches under my trees and feed my lawn. I get large
trailer loads of show rabbit bedding delivered from a breeder, which I
thinly spread over the lawn each load, amongst other places.

I'd suggest bales of rice husks, but given the major slump in our rice
harvest, they are probably hard to find and rather expensive. (Nearly a
decade since SWMBO was raising cute bunnies).

I have a small spreader due to arrive any time now, the type that can be
towed behind a ride-on or ATV. With this I planned to sow the seed, some
fertiliser.

I also discovered a lifetime's supply of sawdust, from a sawmill that
shut down 40 years ago.

I've been grabbing truck loads of it for use as mulch primarily around
the fencline, where there are trees and shrubs. It is well and truly
broken down and not acidic. I was thinking of adding this to the spreader
every time I mow the grass, just to help build up some organic matter.

Aside from the 'lawn' areas, the soil here is very good indeed.

sigh, off to delivery four kittens to the pound, then buy lots of
chocolate for SWMBO to console her)

Oh bugger... good luck with that.

Old 15-12-2008, 02:59 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jeßus" wrote in message
Just a quick one:

I have about 1.5 acres of 'lawn', the soil appears to be fairly
compacted and so I'd really like to aerate it as it clearly needs doing
so.

I also want to introduce clover seed and other varieties as well, so
yet another reason it needs doing.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear of any ideas of how to do this
without spending hundreds (or more) on equipment.

Any good ideas on building something to do the job perhaps? I have a
ride- on and ATV to tow any such gadget around if need be.

TIA.

You could pay a contractor to plough, harrow and seed it.

I could - or might be able to - but thats not a good long term solution.

Why not? What has the long/short term got to do with it?

Unless you know a local with the right gear and skills,

I don't know where you are. People who do this are fairly common where I am
(country NSW north of Newcastle)

the only other
option is DIY. Try getting an electrician or plumber out here, for
example - forget it!

I have exactly the same problem with tradesmen but I would not have such a
problem with ploughing and seeding, different issue altogether. If a
neighbour couldn't do it they would know somebody who could. This is only a
small job for a tractor and spreader they would normally be doing 20 or 50
acres around here, 200 or 500 out west (but they have bigger tractors!).

The trouble with DIY is doing it with human-powered gear is out of the
question unless you have much time and are very fit, cheaper than going to
the gym I suppose.

David

Old 15-12-2008, 09:22 AM posted to aus.gardens

=?iso-8859-1?b?SmXfdXM=?= writes:
Anyway, I'd be interested to hear of any ideas of how to do this without
spending hundreds (or more) on equipment.

Are you near a city? If so, try ringing those rental places where
you can hire DIY equipment, and see what they have. I think you
need a tennis court roller bristling with hollow spikes: each takes
up a small plug of soil as it passes. It might be a bit of a load to
tow around behind the ride on, though. Besides, it will work wonders
on those abs.
Old 15-12-2008, 12:22 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 01:39:13 +0000, Jeßus wrote:

Simplest axle is large pipe through middle of concrete with thinner pipe
inside and you weld the two arms ofthe tow hitch to the thinner pipe.

Another idea came to mind if you can weld; old bicycles; the bottom
bracket from cheap bicycles. Real cheap little kids bikes have a plastic
plug beaing, or the o peiece bmx axle can be adaped. Thinkng you might
score some during the summer clean out, especially when kids get upgraded
bicycles for christmas.

I would hesitate to suggest a 44gal drum as that is a lot of concrete.
might be better with something like a 20Litre or slightly bigger drum
and just tow it every time you mow.

Thanks Terry, there are some good ideas there.

I did think of something drum-like in shape with spikes, but as you
mentioned, a 44gal drum will end up weighing too much - unless I use
something lighter than concrete. But plenty food for thought there, for
sure. I'll keep an eye out for something like a 44gal drum, only smaller
diameter.

alternaively, if you bolt offcuts of poly around the axle or outside, you
can lesson the amount of concrete. At one stage I would have sugested
buying pipe/tube and cutting to length and filling the drum with that,
but since the price of steel has oh,gone up a magnitude, it is rather
expensive.

I wonder how a drum chocka with wood, or that saw dust(make sure it is
dry) would work.

sigh, off to delivery four kittens to the pound, then buy lots of
chocolate for SWMBO to console her)

Oh bugger... good luck with that.

Poor guy at the pound flinched when she wanted reassurance that they would
not be euthanised and coped a mouthful (stern taling to). Lol, but managed
to calm her down and explain that he couldn't guarantee it, but it was
best chance.*

Especially, when we went to vet later with olde cat and someone already
had a list of free kittens photos with cute descriptions and no one had
taken the phone number, which was what she was intending to do.

I've had more trouble with the two older cats, who spent more time hissing
at the kittens, but the old one bit me at the vet and the younger one has
been very aloof as it's playmates have disappeared. Even managed to get
caught in the cat trap,which it had totally ignored for weeks.

*I was folding up the carry cage at the pound after they had emptied it
and it didn't sit right, so open it out again and WHOOSH, there went a
ginger flash. "Oh, I thought there was only three" said the pound guy.
Chuckle, the mischevous ginger one had hidden under the old jumper in the
cage. If I hadn't decided to fold the cage down, he would have come
back home again.

Old 15-12-2008, 03:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

John Savage wrote:
=?iso-8859-1?b?SmXfdXM=?= writes:
Anyway, I'd be interested to hear of any ideas of how to do this without
spending hundreds (or more) on equipment.

Are you near a city? If so, try ringing those rental places where
you can hire DIY equipment, and see what they have. I think you
need a tennis court roller bristling with hollow spikes: each takes
up a small plug of soil as it passes. It might be a bit of a load to
tow around behind the ride on, though. Besides, it will work wonders
on those abs.

Sounds similar to those units used on golf courses
Do you know a greenkeeper who could be tempted by 30 pieces of (scrub
that ;-P), substitute a block of 30 of the best?

Failing that, the 44 gallon (sorry, 200 litre) drum sounds reasonable.
That is, provided you cut a slice from a second drum which could be
re-joined to provide a lesser cyclinder - and then to be inserted inside
the first drum. Concrete could be poured between the two. This would
lessen your weight problem.

All the other provisos on axle manufacturer and attachment of spikes do,
of course, stand. Bit of tack welding would get you through ... though
solid welds would be preferred ;-)

Would take time, effort and money (the quantity of the latter depending
of coure depending on your Steptoe qualities and hussling teqniques ;-P
.... and of course availability of materials in your locality.)
avagoodone
And good luck
giovani

PS: the strength of the equipment and that of the spikes (needed) would
of course depend on the soil make-up of your 1.5 acres of lawn. If
soft-ish, you may get way with spikes of reinforcement rod, or better
still, 1/2 inch (oops, should that be 12mm?) pipe. With the hollow
cylinder described above, pipe could be made to allow plugs of soil to
pass through. (Trust that makes sense?)

If "solid clay,a rethink may be necessary; you may need a ripper (or
rippers)

A further consideration would of course be the ultimate proposed use of
the 1.5 acres. Will it be for production of grass for grazing animals,
just to look good .... or perhaps a nice ground for tennis ... or
perhaps even ... croquet?

PPS: plse stop picking on Cliff ;-) He's as straight as they come! :-P
(However cannot confirm his skills in relation to internet access or his
use there-of. Would suggest however, that he does not glitter)
Old 17-12-2008, 08:10 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 09:22:28 +0000, John Savage wrote:

=?iso-8859-1?b?SmXfdXM=?= writes:
Anyway, I'd be interested to hear of any ideas of how to do this without
spending hundreds (or more) on equipment.

Are you near a city? If so, try ringing those rental places where you
can hire DIY equipment, and see what they have.

Nowhere near a city or large town

I think you need a
tennis court roller bristling with hollow spikes: each takes up a small
plug of soil as it passes. It might be a bit of a load to tow around
behind the ride on, though. Besides, it will work wonders on those abs.

Yes, something like that would be ideal and what I initially pictured in
my head

I have an ATV here, so if the ride-on couldnt cope... mind you, the ride-
on has a twin cylinder 22HP engine, so it has a reasonable amount of
grunt.

Thanks for the idea.

Old 17-12-2008, 08:20 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 23:07:55 +0800, giovani wrote:

snip

Failing that, the 44 gallon (sorry, 200 litre) drum sounds reasonable.
That is, provided you cut a slice from a second drum which could be
re-joined to provide a lesser cyclinder - and then to be inserted inside
the first drum. Concrete could be poured between the two. This would
lessen your weight problem.

All the other provisos on axle manufacturer and attachment of spikes do,
of course, stand. Bit of tack welding would get you through ... though
solid welds would be preferred ;-)

Would take time, effort and money (the quantity of the latter depending
of coure depending on your Steptoe qualities and hussling teqniques ;-P
.... and of course availability of materials in your locality.)

Bingo on your last comment. One of the few downsides to living where I do
is the scarcity of materials, both new and used. Around this area,
nothing gets thrown out, and even scouting the recycling places in
Launceston, you won't see a whole lot.

So to an extent, the design will be limited to the materials I can come
across. The two 44gal drum idea is a good one though - this part of the
design is the main issue - depends on what or if I can find something
better than 44gal drums. The width would be just about right for the
mower or ATV though.

PS: the strength of the equipment and that of the spikes (needed) would
of course depend on the soil make-up of your 1.5 acres of lawn. If
soft-ish, you may get way with spikes of reinforcement rod, or better
still, 1/2 inch (oops, should that be 12mm?) pipe. With the hollow
cylinder described above, pipe could be made to allow plugs of soil to
pass through. (Trust that makes sense?)

Yup, sure does

If "solid clay,a rethink may be necessary; you may need a ripper (or
rippers)

A further consideration would of course be the ultimate proposed use of
the 1.5 acres. Will it be for production of grass for grazing animals,
just to look good .... or perhaps a nice ground for tennis ... or
perhaps even ... croquet?

Pretty much all of the above. I have no intention of turing it into a
manicured, perfect lawn. I just want it to be healthy and vigorous.

As mentioned, I only bought the property last July and the house itself
is approx. 12 years old, so that more or less dates the lawn. I wouldve
been pasture previously. I'd say they used a catcher the whole time
instead of returning the cuttings to the soil (blasphemy IMO).

PPS: plse stop picking on Cliff ;-) He's as straight as they come! :-P
(However cannot confirm his skills in relation to internet access or his
use there-of. Would suggest however, that he does not glitter)

LOL

Old 17-12-2008, 08:31 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 23:22:43 +1100, terryc wrote:

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 01:39:13 +0000, Jeßus wrote:

Simplest axle is large pipe through middle of concrete with thinner
pipe inside and you weld the two arms ofthe tow hitch to the thinner
pipe.

Another idea came to mind if you can weld; old bicycles; the bottom
bracket from cheap bicycles. Real cheap little kids bikes have a plastic
plug beaing, or the o peiece bmx axle can be adaped. Thinkng you might
score some during the summer clean out, especially when kids get
upgraded bicycles for christmas.

It just so happens the previous owners left behind a bunch of BMX bikes,
so your idea is highly appropriate It's a good idea.

I would hesitate to suggest a 44gal drum as that is a lot of concrete.
might be better with something like a 20Litre or slightly bigger drum
and just tow it every time you mow.

Thanks Terry, there are some good ideas there.

I did think of something drum-like in shape with spikes, but as you
mentioned, a 44gal drum will end up weighing too much - unless I use
something lighter than concrete. But plenty food for thought there, for
sure. I'll keep an eye out for something like a 44gal drum, only
smaller diameter.

alternaively, if you bolt offcuts of poly around the axle or outside,
you can lesson the amount of concrete. At one stage I would have
sugested buying pipe/tube and cutting to length and filling the drum
with that, but since the price of steel has oh,gone up a magnitude, it
is rather expensive.

Yep, but due to the relatively short lengths required, I shouldnt have
*too* much trouble collecting enough old pipe to do that.

I wonder how a drum chocka with wood, or that saw dust(make sure it is
dry) would work.

Another good idea Terry

sigh, off to delivery four kittens to the pound, then buy lots of
chocolate for SWMBO to console her)

Oh bugger... good luck with that.

Poor guy at the pound flinched when she wanted reassurance that they
would not be euthanised and coped a mouthful (stern taling to). Lol, but
managed to calm her down and explain that he couldn't guarantee it, but
it was best chance.*

Especially, when we went to vet later with olde cat and someone already
had a list of free kittens photos with cute descriptions and no one had
taken the phone number, which was what she was intending to do.

The great irony when I was looking for a cat 5 years ago, it took me
about 6 weeks to find one. This was back when I lived on the mainland.
I did find one, eventually, at the RSPCA. But I was surprised how few
people advertised litters in the area - well, none actually, in a town of
13000.

I've had more trouble with the two older cats, who spent more time
hissing at the kittens, but the old one bit me at the vet and the
younger one has been very aloof as it's playmates have disappeared. Even
managed to get caught in the cat trap,which it had totally ignored for
weeks.

Ah yes, the dynamics of relationships also applies to animals
The younger one will get its nose back in joint soon enough...

*I was folding up the carry cage at the pound after they had emptied it
and it didn't sit right, so open it out again and WHOOSH, there went a
ginger flash. "Oh, I thought there was only three" said the pound guy.
Chuckle, the mischevous ginger one had hidden under the old jumper in
the cage. If I hadn't decided to fold the cage down, he would have come
back home again.

After which it'd probably be a permanent resident

Old 17-12-2008, 10:58 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 20:31:09 +0000, Jeßus wrote:

After which it'd probably be a permanent resident

Yes
1) Fate
2) SWMBO really wanted to keep that one.

aerating lawn: anyone try those shoes? Heidi Gardening 8 15-08-2003 04:42 PM
Aerating Lawn Chris Lawns 3 06-06-2003 03:32 AM
Aerating the lawn - which type of sand ged hickman United Kingdom 1 18-05-2003 08:44 PM
Aerating the lawn. Jerry Lawns 4 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Aerating the lawn. Jerry Lawns 1 30-03-2003 04:56 PM