Old 23-12-2008, 12:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default rural couriers (was cheap lawn aeration)

Jeßus wrote:
On a related topic:

My spreader *finally* arrived (communicating with couriers here is a
nightmare) last Friday. Only took 3.5 weeks - all the way from Hobart
(a mere 3 hour drive!)... Still, it only cost about $300, I couldn't
find anything else under $1300 (not all that much better in build
quality anyway). So the wait was worth it... Anyway, I digress.

You have a courier who actually delivers? The system here is they (or some
part of the delivery chain) take delivery of an item but by the time they
get to the nearest main road they decide they will not go further to our
minor road. When I refuse to allow items to be dropped at a shop on the
main road, where I would have to pick it up and security is uncertain, the
courier gets abusive. If I point out that the destination is plain and if
he (or his upstream agents) cannot deliver it then they shouldn't take it in
the first place. At this point he goes ballistic, it's all my fault you
see. I have tried to get vendors to check in advance before they consign
stuff but it does no good, the head of the chain always says yes we can do
it. Somebody is rorting the system but I cannot determine who.

It's now put together, ready for use. I'll wait another week for the
grass to grow, then give it a test run. Looks like there will be a
lot of trial and error to work out the setting for the correct rate
of release of fertiliser and/or seed. I might try a few dummy runs
with the 30y/o sawdust I have access to, thats assuming it doesnt
clog it up.

You can also use sand or sandy loam to dilute seed.

I'm hoping the sawdust *won't* clog up in the spreader, as I was
thinking about spreading the sawdust each and every time I cut the
grass, since there is not much in the way of organic matter in the
lawn. Previous owners clearly used a catcher for many years,
unfortunately. Not something I'll ever do!

But where did they put the clippings?

David

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --
Old 24-12-2008, 12:42 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 11:25:16 +1100, David Hare-Scott wrote:

Jeßus wrote:
On a related topic:

My spreader *finally* arrived (communicating with couriers here is a
nightmare) last Friday. Only took 3.5 weeks - all the way from Hobart
(a mere 3 hour drive!)... Still, it only cost about $300, I couldn't
find anything else under $1300 (not all that much better in build
quality anyway). So the wait was worth it... Anyway, I digress.

You have a courier who actually delivers?

Oh David - don't get me started...

I have ONE courier who delivers to my door - as long as you make several
STD phone calls over a period of a week AND only if it suits them.

In the few months that I have lived here, I could write a small paperback
on the trials and tribulations of dealing with couriers here. This is one
industry which seems to lead a very charmed life. Most engage in outright
theft here, IMO

The system here is they (or
some part of the delivery chain) take delivery of an item but by the
time they get to the nearest main road they decide they will not go
further to our minor road.

Yep...

When I refuse to allow items to be dropped
at a shop on the main road, where I would have to pick it up and
security is uncertain, the courier gets abusive. If I point out that
the destination is plain and if he (or his upstream agents) cannot
deliver it then they shouldn't take it in the first place.

Oh yes indeed, a very obvious and sensible policy that'd be.
But then, they already have your package - and the delivery is pre-paid.
So they have no real incentive to do what theyve actually been paid for.

At this
point he goes ballistic, it's all my fault you see.

Yep. Along with you not having checked in advance for any problems (their
usual claim), even though you have enquired into every possible scenario
you can think of in advance already. Right?

I have tried to get
vendors to check in advance before they consign stuff but it does no
good, the head of the chain always says yes we can do it.

Yep...
As I have just mentioned - no amount of pre-emptive checking does any
good.

Somebody is rorting the system but I cannot determine who.

The couriers are, from pickup to 'delivery'.
As mentioned - they have your goods - they've already been paid, so what
is their incentive to deliver anything that requires what they perceive
to be any extra effort?

I could tell you some incredible stories regarding the couriers I have
dealt with. None of the senders initially believe my claims - not until a
few weeks have passed, and I'm forced to make contact with them for
connote numbers, etc.

I ordered a coffee grinder and beans yesterday. I explained to them what
the problems are with couriers. They called TNT (not a company I have
dealt with here, as far as I can recall). They phoned TNT, who assured
them that the goods will be delivered to my door. I've never seen a TNT
van here. You watch what will happen...

It's really unfortunate that some businesses are so inflexible with
shipping options. The item is under 6KG but cost over $60 in shipping
costs via TNT. I'll wager I have to travel the 160KM to Launceston to
pick it up - and this is after a few weeks of misleading phone calls, etc.

Add to that the extra cost charged to deliver it to my home address,
despite the fact that it doesnt even leave Launceston.

They couldve sent it via Aus Post, who would charged approx. $15, and
it'd be here in a few days.

Some businesses are willing to cooperate though, and will send my stuff
via Aus Post after considerable nightmares tracking down my items.

I've had items 'delivered' and vanished without a trace. Thankfully the
businesses concerned sent replacements.

Another common stunt here is that without warning, deliveries get
transferred to a completely differnt courier company. They *never* tell
you this either. And then you wonder why the connote number is invalid...

No point giving them your phone number either - they will NOT phone you -
not ever. They *know* you'll have to chase them up, as you have no other
choice.

You also need to be a mind reader, as all the companies have unique and
many quirks - ie; only deliver if there is also a beer delivery for the
town club, or the astrological signs permit it. That sort of thing.

Heres another nice experience: the *steel* 16" wheels for my 4X4 - two
arrived smashed, literally. The ones I waited 4 months to arrive from the
U.S, of course. How in Gods name does that happen? And the courier had NO
problems with that at all - even though it was plainly obvious... didnt
even say a word about it *at all* until I did.

It's now put together, ready for use. I'll wait another week for the
grass to grow, then give it a test run. Looks like there will be a lot
of trial and error to work out the setting for the correct rate of
release of fertiliser and/or seed. I might try a few dummy runs with
the 30y/o sawdust I have access to, thats assuming it doesnt clog it
up.

You can also use sand or sandy loam to dilute seed.

Good tip, thanks.

I'm hoping the sawdust *won't* clog up in the spreader, as I was
thinking about spreading the sawdust each and every time I cut the
grass, since there is not much in the way of organic matter in the
lawn. Previous owners clearly used a catcher for many years,
unfortunately. Not something I'll ever do!

But where did they put the clippings?

Some 'down the back' along the creek, but also at the local tip, probably.
Oddly enough, a lot of people within the township go to the trouble of
carting their clipping away. And no, I don't understand it either

Old 24-12-2008, 01:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jeßus wrote:
[...]

I wonder how you would go getting COD deliveries? Is such an option
still available?

cheers,
pete
Old 24-12-2008, 01:59 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jeßus wrote:

Oh David - don't get me started...

I have ONE courier who delivers to my door - as long as you make
several STD phone calls over a period of a week AND only if it suits
them.

In the few months that I have lived here, I could write a small
paperback on the trials and tribulations of dealing with couriers
here. This is one industry which seems to lead a very charmed life.
Most engage in outright theft here, IMO

Do you live in a rural out of the way area?

Do you realise couriers have to do more than just your delivery, to make
money? Fuel certainly isn't cheap these days and neither is labour.
If it takes extra time to get to where you are, it means they can't get to
other places and so let other people down.
Are you there all the time to take delivery? Nothing more annoying to go out
of the way only to find no one is there to take delivery/pay COD etc and so
then have to make a return delivery.
People who move from urban areas to rural areas and expect the same service
as town dwellers and expect the deliveries for the same price are extremely
annoying.
I could volumes on the stupidity and lack of common sense of people and what
they expect of couriers/carriers.

(also why do you post in HTML)?

Old 24-12-2008, 02:38 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 11:59:46 +1000, Barbara wrote:

Jeßus wrote:

Oh David - don't get me started...

I have ONE courier who delivers to my door - as long as you make
several STD phone calls over a period of a week AND only if it suits
them.

In the few months that I have lived here, I could write a small
paperback on the trials and tribulations of dealing with couriers here.
This is one industry which seems to lead a very charmed life. Most
engage in outright theft here, IMO

Do you live in a rural out of the way area?

Yes, definitely rural and out of the way.

Do you realise couriers have to do more than just your delivery, to make
money?

Goodness, why no Barb... I hadnt thought of that.

Fuel certainly isn't cheap these days and neither is labour.

Indeed... Queenslanders are notorious for the lowest wages anywhere.

If
it takes extra time to get to where you are, it means they can't get to
other places and so let other people down. Are you there all the time to
take delivery? Nothing more annoying to go out of the way only to find
no one is there to take delivery/pay COD etc and so then have to make a
return delivery.

Do you have *anything* to say beyond the bloody obvious?

People who move from urban areas to rural areas and expect the same
service as town dwellers and expect the deliveries for the same price
are extremely annoying.

Who expects the same service - and why would they? How insulting. Go ****
yourself Barb.

I could volumes on the stupidity and lack of common sense of people and
what they expect of couriers/carriers.

I cringed when I saw your name in this thread, realising what you do (or
did)

I'm not sure there is much point taking the time to counter or answer the
raher obvious and insulting points you made Barb.

All I will say is - NO amount of checking, asking or even pre-empting
possible scenarios in advance results in these courier companies giving
you the truth BEFORE commiting to using them. This makes it very, very
difficult to convince business that you will have significant problems
actually obtaining your parcel until its too late
.. Notice I said 'obtain' and NOT actually having it delivered.

I've heard it all before from these so-called couriers.

The key problem - as I have said - is that they have both the goods AND
payment in advance. They have no incentive to deliver, or at least
deliver in a timely fashion.

3.5 weeks for a parcel to travel 200KM is a joke, as is being charged
extra for delivery to my town compared to their depot, only to find that
they don't deliver to my town - ever.

Anyway, no point arguing with you about this, is there?

(also why do you post in HTML)?

I don't.

Old 24-12-2008, 02:47 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 12:46:18 +1100, Pete wrote:

snip

I wonder how you would go getting COD deliveries? Is such an option
still available?

I assume it wouldn't be an option - I doubt there would be anything but
disadvantages from the courier's point of view.

Over time this whole situation ought to improve - if only because slowly
but surely I am finding suitable companies willing to send by Aus Post
(after they witness what happens here) and/or learning each and every
quirk of the various courier companies. By then, I'll better be able to
choose *who* to buy from, based on their shipping methods.

I can fully recommend eyo.com.au (primarily sells PC parts) for being
very helpful indeed in this regard. After they saw what Star Track
Express did to me, even they were fuming. Everything from them now comes
via Aus Post - damned sight quicker, cheaper and infinitely more reliable
than *any* courier here!
Old 24-12-2008, 03:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jeßus wrote:
Do you live in a rural out of the way area?

Yes, definitely rural and out of the way.

Do you realise couriers have to do more than just your delivery, to
make money?

Goodness, why no Barb... I hadnt thought of that.

Fuel certainly isn't cheap these days and neither is labour.

Indeed... Queenslanders are notorious for the lowest wages anywhere.

Goodness but you live in the past.

If
it takes extra time to get to where you are, it means they can't get
to other places and so let other people down. Are you there all the
time to take delivery? Nothing more annoying to go out of the way
only to find no one is there to take delivery/pay COD etc and so
then have to make a return delivery.

Do you have *anything* to say beyond the bloody obvious?

I have lots to say, but it's off topic.

People who move from urban areas to rural areas and expect the same
service as town dwellers and expect the deliveries for the same price
are extremely annoying.

Who expects the same service - and why would they? How insulting. Go
**** yourself Barb.

I have no need to, I'm married.

I could volumes on the stupidity and lack of common sense of people
and what they expect of couriers/carriers.

I cringed when I saw your name in this thread, realising what you do
(or did)

Still do and have done so for 18 years now, I've heard/seen it all, though
it must be pointed out I own a carrying business, not a courier business.

I'm not sure there is much point taking the time to counter or answer
the raher obvious and insulting points you made Barb.

If it's all rather obvious why the whining? I deal with people like you all
day long.
Insulting....? well go up a few paragraphs, seems you've caught
Peterlucasitis.

All I will say is - NO amount of checking, asking or even pre-empting
possible scenarios in advance results in these courier companies
giving you the truth BEFORE commiting to using them. This makes it
very, very difficult to convince business that you will have
significant problems actually obtaining your parcel until its too late
. Notice I said 'obtain' and NOT actually having it delivered.

I've heard it all before from these so-called couriers.

The key problem - as I have said - is that they have both the goods
AND payment in advance. They have no incentive to deliver, or at least
deliver in a timely fashion.

Total crap, most courier companies rely on word of mouth advertising and if
they are contracted to a large company to do their deliveries, well they
bloodywell go out of their way to keep them happy, that means keeping the
receiver happy too.

3.5 weeks for a parcel to travel 200KM is a joke, as is being charged
extra for delivery to my town compared to their depot, only to find
that they don't deliver to my town - ever.

Extremely hard to believe, perhaps you're fudging a little *or* the company
sending the goods is having a lend of you, an extremely common occurrence,
it's always easier to blame the courier. I deal with that one on a daily
basis.Companies promise goods, say they've been sent, when they haven't and
then blame the courier for not delivering them....I have a thousand stories
I could tell on that subject.

Anyway, no point arguing with you about this, is there?

No

Old 24-12-2008, 04:18 AM posted to aus.gardens

Who expects the same service - and why would they? How insulting. Go
**** yourself Barb.

I have no need to, I'm married.

Lot of desperate guys around. I guess you got one eh???????

Old 24-12-2008, 04:41 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 13:25:58 +1000, Barbara wrote:

Jeßus wrote:
Do you live in a rural out of the way area?

Yes, definitely rural and out of the way.

Do you realise couriers have to do more than just your delivery, to
make money?

Goodness, why no Barb... I hadn't thought of that.

Fuel certainly isn't cheap these days and neither is labour.

Indeed... Queenslanders are notorious for the lowest wages anywhere.

Goodness but you live in the past.

Oh, so it's gone up by $1 per hour now, has it? Wow...
Even in rural Tasmania, wages are higher in general, this specific
subject has been brought up twice already since I moved here last April
by people who've also lived and worked in QLD.

Small businesses in S.E are the worst I've come across anywhere in the
country for being notorious tight-arses, who expect the world for a
pittance from their employees. You can't take anything remotely critical
of QLD either, I noticed. The summer weather is horrible in S.E QLD as
well. Makes Darwin or Cairns look like Antartica by comparison.

If
it takes extra time to get to where you are, it means they can't get
to other places and so let other people down. Are you there all the
time to take delivery? Nothing more annoying to go out of the way only
to find no one is there to take delivery/pay COD etc and so then have
to make a return delivery.

Do you have *anything* to say beyond the bloody obvious?

I have lots to say, but it's off topic.

So far you've said nothing of any use, other than to respond merely
because you don't like criticism directed at couriers.

People who move from urban areas to rural areas and expect the same
service as town dwellers and expect the deliveries for the same
price are extremely annoying.

Who expects the same service - and why would they? How insulting. Go
**** yourself Barb.

I have no need to, I'm married.

I doubt that changes anything.

I could volumes on the stupidity and lack of common sense of people
and what they expect of couriers/carriers.

So what? How does that alter ANYTHING relating to the discussion you've
decided to whine in? Is that your justification for poor service? Tit-for-
tat, is it? Do you inform any potential customers of this policy of yours?

I cringed when I saw your name in this thread, realising what you do
(or did)

Still do and have done so for 18 years now, I've heard/seen it all,
though it must be pointed out I own a carrying business, not a courier
business.

I'm not sure there is much point taking the time to counter or answer
the rather obvious and insulting points you made Barb.

If it's all rather obvious why the whining?

Are you dense, or what? Its your comments which state the rather obvious.
Idiotic shit such as: "People who move from urban areas to rural areas
and expect the same service as town dwellers and expect the deliveries
for the same price are extremely annoying"

I deal with people like you all day long.

Yeah, and believe me it's showing. "You people" etc. You've got that
bitter, sour attitude which is so typically behind these problems to
begin with. The ****ing /hide/ of me, wanting to know when or how to
obtain goods I have paid for, eh?! Or even *if* I'll ever get the goods
*at all*, as in one case (which never did arrive).

Sometimes I've even had the gall to ask why they've charged the extra to
deliver to my town, even though they subsequently state that they won't
even deliver to my town, and I have to travel the 280KM round-trip to
pick it up at their Launceston depot. The ****ing nerve I have, hey?
Yeah... "people like you" indeed.

Oh... and NO refund on the price difference, of course. They "can't issue
refunds". How is this acceptable in your eyes? Oh... I'm just "making it
all up", right?

Insulting....? well go up a few paragraphs, seems you've caught
Peterlucasitis.

Go **** yourself bitch. You insulted me - I'll insult you right back.

You come in here and try to tell *me* that my own experiences never
happened. And you wonder why I consider it an insult?

You don't seem to have any concept of how badly some people get jerked
around by these *******s.

All I will say is - NO amount of checking, asking or even pre-empting
possible scenarios in advance results in these courier companies giving
you the truth BEFORE commiting to using them. This makes it very, very
difficult to convince business that you will have significant problems
actually obtaining your parcel until its too late . Notice I said
'obtain' and NOT actually having it delivered.

I've heard it all before from these so-called couriers.

The key problem - as I have said - is that they have both the goods AND
payment in advance. They have no incentive to deliver, or at least
deliver in a timely fashion.

Total crap, most courier companies rely on word of mouth advertising and
if they are contracted to a large company to do their deliveries, well
they bloodywell go out of their way to keep them happy, that means
keeping the receiver happy too.

ROFL, what a JOKE!
You're in S.E QLD, you have NO direct personal experience here AT ALL!
But all the same - you decide to weigh in on a topic anyway.

If these parasites had to *collect* payment, I have no doubt at all
they'd show a lot more motivation in getting those goods from point A to
point B in rural areas.

3.5 weeks for a parcel to travel 200KM is a joke, as is being charged
extra for delivery to my town compared to their depot, only to find
that they don't deliver to my town - ever.

Extremely hard to believe,

Yeah. I made it up of course (for what purpose is anyones guess)...

perhaps you're fudging a little *or*

No. For what purpose? The last thing I need is to embellish this ongoing
problem.

the
company sending the goods is having a lend of you, an extremely common
occurrence, it's always easier to blame the courier. I deal with that
one on a daily basis.Companies promise goods, say they've been sent,
when they haven't and then blame the courier for not delivering
them....I have a thousand stories I could tell on that subject.

Yeah, I suppose they're forging the invoices, right?

Anyway, no point arguing with you about this, is there?

No

Exactly, because you're just another one of them, and don't give a flying
shit about the recipient's lack of psychic powers that are obviously
required when dealing with these turds.

If these companies would only tell you truthfully in advance (if asked)
that they cannot deliver to a town - or what procedure is required to
collect said item - I would have no complaint. None at all.

But they won't, at least not the ones I have dealt with thus far.

The 'extra' information is *only* revealed well after they have your
goods, by which time it's far too late to do anything about it of course.
There hasnt been a single exception to this rule so far when I have
enquired beforehand.

The only problem-free exception relating to couriers has been Aus Air
Freight/Express (whichever it is) - which uses the Aus Post network (here
at least). No surprises whatsoever - the goods arrived exactly as they
said they would. Several long distance calls not required. No need to
phone back because they ignore your messages. It just arrives at the post
office, and you pick it up. It's fantastic.

I hope enough of your customers continue to give you the shits, as they
clearly do. No best wishes for xmas/new year, and this is my last reply
to you.

Old 24-12-2008, 06:08 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jeßus wrote:
On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 13:25:58 +1000, Barbara wrote:

Oh, so it's gone up by $1 per hour now, has it? Wow...
Even in rural Tasmania, wages are higher in general, this specific
subject has been brought up twice already since I moved here last
April by people who've also lived and worked in QLD.

Small businesses in S.E are the worst I've come across anywhere in the
country for being notorious tight-arses, who expect the world for a
pittance from their employees. You can't take anything remotely
critical of QLD either, I noticed. The summer weather is horrible in
S.E QLD as well. Makes Darwin or Cairns look like Antartica by
comparison.

Wayne, you're really slipping into Lucus mentality now, the above statements
are just not right, you may have convinced yourself otherwise, but in doing
so you are only doing a Lucas.

I'm not sure there is much point taking the time to counter or
answer the rather obvious and insulting points you made Barb.

If it's all rather obvious why the whining?

Are you dense, or what? Its your comments which state the rather
obvious. Idiotic shit such as: "People who move from urban areas to
rural areas and expect the same service as town dwellers and expect
the deliveries for the same price are extremely annoying"

And so it is.

I deal with people like you all day long.

Yeah, and believe me it's showing. "You people" etc. You've got that
bitter, sour attitude which is so typically behind these problems to
begin with. The ****ing /hide/ of me, wanting to know when or how to
obtain goods I have paid for, eh?! Or even *if* I'll ever get the
goods *at all*, as in one case (which never did arrive).

Yes I know, that's why I've been in business for 18 years, let me
reiterate...no one would stay in business if their attitude was what you
say.

Sometimes I've even had the gall to ask why they've charged the extra
to deliver to my town, even though they subsequently state that they
won't even deliver to my town, and I have to travel the 280KM
round-trip to pick it up at their Launceston depot. The ****ing nerve
I have, hey? Yeah... "people like you" indeed.

Any one who had such a policy would not be in business too long.

Oh... and NO refund on the price difference, of course. They "can't
issue refunds". How is this acceptable in your eyes? Oh... I'm just
"making it all up", right?

In much as the same manner of your wild statements about living conditions
in SE Qld, no doubt.

Insulting....? well go up a few paragraphs, seems you've caught
Peterlucasitis.

Go **** yourself bitch. You insulted me - I'll insult you right back.

Heh....very thin skinned of you, seeing insults that aren't there.

You come in here and try to tell *me* that my own experiences never
happened. And you wonder why I consider it an insult?

No, I merely pointed out that, as always, there's two sides to a story, you
took umbrage, not me.

You don't seem to have any concept of how badly some people get jerked
around by these *******s.

That begs the question...why use them?

ROFL, what a JOKE!
You're in S.E QLD, you have NO direct personal experience here AT ALL!
But all the same - you decide to weigh in on a topic anyway.

So? does that mean no one can answer a post here unless they live in the
exact same area as the OP?

If these parasites had to *collect* payment, I have no doubt at all
they'd show a lot more motivation in getting those goods from point A
to point B in rural areas.

Simple... don't pay them till they deliver or better still use another
company.

Yeah, I suppose they're forging the invoices, right?

I'll tell you what happens. Salesman/office staff tell customer "yes sir we
can deliver that, it's in stock" do up invoice and it can occasionally be
misplaced, somewhere between the office and despatch. Or there's no stock
and no more is due in for a few days/weeks. No salesman is going to admit
that he made a promise that can't be kept.
Meanwhile customer doesn't get goods, so rings company, speaks to office,
they check and see the goods have been invoiced and so say the courier must
have the goods.
Hint: if goods don't arrive and you ring the supplier, always ask for
dispatch, never go through the front office.

Exactly, because you're just another one of them, and don't give a
flying shit about the recipient's lack of psychic powers that are
obviously required when dealing with these turds.

No, I'm one of them that gets called names and abused several times a day by
people with the same attitude as you, when most of cases, the supplier is
at fault or the customer has expectations beyond the realms of possibility.

If these companies would only tell you truthfully in advance (if
asked) that they cannot deliver to a town - or what procedure is
required to collect said item - I would have no complaint. None at
all.

But they won't, at least not the ones I have dealt with thus far.

The fact that you use a plural suggests you are having problems with
multiple couriers, which in turn leads me to think that perhaps the supplier
or your good self may be a little at fault.

The 'extra' information is *only* revealed well after they have your
goods, by which time it's far too late to do anything about it of
course. There hasnt been a single exception to this rule so far when
I have enquired beforehand.

The only problem-free exception relating to couriers has been Aus Air
Freight/Express (whichever it is) - which uses the Aus Post network
(here at least). No surprises whatsoever - the goods arrived exactly
as they said they would. Several long distance calls not required. No
need to phone back because they ignore your messages. It just arrives
at the post office, and you pick it up. It's fantastic.

Well there's your answer, why use some useless courier company?

I hope enough of your customers continue to give you the shits, as
they clearly do.

Yes, ones with your attitude do, but rest assured that I never let them know
to their face, I just do my best to help them and you know what, It's rarely
our fault and if it is I own up immediately, after all I see both sides of
the story.

No best wishes for xmas/new year, and this is my
last reply to you.

Merry Christmas to you, may 2009 be filled with deliveries done on time and
to your satisfaction.

Old 24-12-2008, 07:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jeßus" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 12:46:18 +1100, Pete wrote:

snip

Over time this whole situation ought to improve - if only because slowly
but surely I am finding suitable companies willing to send by Aus Post
(after they witness what happens here) and/or learning each and every
quirk of the various courier companies. By then, I'll better be able to
choose *who* to buy from, based on their shipping methods.

As a matter of interest I have noticed in the past few years that mail can
be delayed upto 3 weeks in getting to country Queensland. I sell seeds and
blank plant labels/tags on eBay & Oztion. These are not sent by parcel post
but fit in standard and prepaid envelopes which travel by air from Perth. I
figure at worst they would take 3 days to get to Brisbane and a day or 2 to
get to the country areas.

The delay happens mainly every 2 or 3 years so I am assuming that the
smaller areas have mail contractors who put tenders into Australia Post. My
theory is not many reapply hence the delays at these times.

These courier companies jack up the prices so much on items I can't see why
they can't to be mailed using Australia Post Express or do a deal with
Australia Post in remote areas to deliver items.

Barbara makes no sense because if she has a contract to cart items from A-B
the price is quoted taking all factors into consideration (time & vehicle
upkeep). Here we have a price already supplied by the courier company to
have it delivered to the door. They should never take on anything they can't
make good on and should quote a price to make the end couriers efforts at
least profitable.

I have had only one hassle using Australia Posts Express Post where a
customer said the 3kg Satchel had not arrived. I filled out a form to say
the item had disappeared supplied the number on the satchel. I received a
letter from AP saying the item had arrived at the Post Office in that town
and the date. The item was sitting in the post office for a week.

As the customer was not notified by a card in the letterbox or had it
delivered to the home address I thought I would be entitled to a free 3kg
Express post satchel. I made a call and was told it arrived at the port
office in good time so they would not honour the guarantee. I was peeved by
this and wrote a letter. I stated how I had mailed the item etc etc and how
I had to waste my time filling in forms. I got a letter of apology and a
free satchel.

Old 24-12-2008, 07:47 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 16:08:38 +1000, Barbara wrote:

Jeßus wrote:
[...]

Barbara, I apologise for exploding in this thread.
I know you're a good person - but I also know you well enough to know you
knew what you wrote would elicit a hostile response.

Also well done in constructing a reply that I couldn't resist replying to
(as I did say I wouldn't respond any further)...

The questions you have asked here have been covered already.

For clarification however:

No - I do NOT want to use these couriers (with one exception) I've dealt
with since moving here in July. The problem is some (most?) businesses
don't offer much in the way of shipping options. You ought to know that
yourself.

Remember, I've only been here since July, and it takes time to find
businesses that cater to your needs (i.e stock the goods you want), at a
fair price, AND are flexible with shipping options.

I've found a couple of businesses so far willing to help, and they are
guaranteed to get my repeat business.

The same applies to the couriers themselves - thus far I know Aus Air
Express (if that is the correct name) is fine to use - they use the Aus
Post network, so it actually gets here without issue.

Suncoast is another who should be OK, albeit once you know their special
requirements in hindsight.

My next experience will be with TNT, who so far are also easily the most
expensive courier.

I'm awaiting coffee and coffee grinder, under 6KG total for $65 shipping.
Alas, if I wanted these particular items, I had no alternative source.

They won't send anything over 3KG through Aus Post... which is a shame,
because it'd be *here* (not Launceston!) within 3 days, and at a quarter
of the price!

A phone call to TNT has 'assured' me that not only will it be delivered
to my town, it'll be delivered to my door. The sender did the same as
well. I also made sure they have my phone number.

I am highly sceptical I'll ever see a TNT van, or even get a phone call
advising me of delivery problems, as I've had this exact same
conversation with other couriers before to no avail... but I have to give
them the benefit of the doubt. Not that I have much option anyway.

I usually wait a minimum of ten days before hunting down my 'missing'
items. Why? Because I know what I'm going to be in for (it now stresses
me considerably having to listen to their generic lies and jump through
their hoops), because I want to give them ample time to deliver, without
appearing to be pushy/impatient. And, I am reasonably patient anyway
(IMO).

Until I moved out here, I can't say I've had many problems with couriers
before. I take issue with you categorising me as a difficult customer.
I'm sorry, but you really don't know what you're talking about on that
score.

I just cannot see how I am doing anything wrong Barbara.
What am I doing wrong? No speculation now, give me something tangible, if
you can.

All I really want to know is how to get my hands on the items I have paid
for - and even then only after 10 or more days have passed of no
communication.

So far I havent been rude or unplesant to any of them in any way
whatsoever, not on the phone, nor in person. So far.

With respect, you are NOT part of the companies I've had to deal with
here. Your uninformed ASSUMPTIONS don't help either.

And forgive me for objecting to paying extra for delivery here - which is
more than the equivalent cost to their depot - even though they already
*know* (but won't say beforehand) they don't deliver here! Did I mention
the parcel that was 'delivered' but I never did receive - also
interesting, because it transpires that they too don't deliver here.

But I guess the above is something I just made up to help my argument,
right? If you really believe that, then you really don't know me at all.

It has nothing to do with not being sympathetic or ignorant of their
logistical problems in rural areas. At the moment it is a one way street
- and all in favour of the couriers... HERE. I'd love to be able to prove
this to you, but how?

Give your dogs and cats a pat from Jeßus, thanks.

Bah Humbug.

Old 24-12-2008, 08:15 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 16:44:06 +0900, Loosecanon wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 12:46:18 +1100, Pete wrote:

snip

Over time this whole situation ought to improve - if only because
slowly but surely I am finding suitable companies willing to send by
Aus Post (after they witness what happens here) and/or learning each
and every quirk of the various courier companies. By then, I'll better
be able to choose *who* to buy from, based on their shipping methods.

As a matter of interest I have noticed in the past few years that mail
can be delayed upto 3 weeks in getting to country Queensland. I sell
seeds and blank plant labels/tags on eBay & Oztion.

Actually, I think I have bought seeds from you
Shoalwater W.A, right?

These are not sent
by parcel post but fit in standard and prepaid envelopes which travel by
air from Perth.

Now I am pretty sure of it...

I figure at worst they would take 3 days to get to
Brisbane and a day or 2 to get to the country areas.

The delay happens mainly every 2 or 3 years so I am assuming that the
smaller areas have mail contractors who put tenders into Australia Post.
My theory is not many reapply hence the delays at these times.

Good point there. I've lived all over the country, almost always rural
places. There has been the odd time that mail delivery was patchy, almost
invariably these places had contractors come and go, so yes, good point...

These courier companies jack up the prices so much on items I can't see
why they can't to be mailed using Australia Post Express or do a deal
with Australia Post in remote areas to deliver items.

Tell me about it. I do try to explain this to some businesses I've dealt
with, along with the fact that I know I'll recieve it within a reasonable
time frame, without endless phone calls chasing said package up, and
without driving all the way to Launceston. Some have come to the party,
most don't... theyve set up their shipping system and have little desire
to alter it, I guess.

Barbara makes no sense because if she has a contract to cart items from
A-B the price is quoted taking all factors into consideration (time &
vehicle upkeep).

This would also be my philospohy if I was in the business. If they can't/
won't honour the contract (which is essentially what it is) - don't
accept the job! It seems simple enough to me! I just couldnt treat people
in that fashion, I'd rather find some other way to make a crust.

Here we have a price already supplied by the courier
company to have it delivered to the door. They should never take on
anything they can't make good on and should quote a price to make the
end couriers efforts at least profitable.

Agreed. And also ensure the intended recipents are aware that a different
company is now handling delivery wouldnt hurt either.

I have had only one hassle using Australia Posts Express Post where a
customer said the 3kg Satchel had not arrived. I filled out a form to
say the item had disappeared supplied the number on the satchel. I
received a letter from AP saying the item had arrived at the Post Office
in that town and the date. The item was sitting in the post office for a
week.

As the customer was not notified by a card in the letterbox or had it
delivered to the home address I thought I would be entitled to a free
3kg Express post satchel. I made a call and was told it arrived at the
port office in good time so they would not honour the guarantee. I was
peeved by this and wrote a letter. I stated how I had mailed the item
etc etc and how I had to waste my time filling in forms. I got a letter
of apology and a free satchel.

Aus Post cop a lot of flack, to be sure. Sometimes for good reason of
course. I have to say though, the odd time I've had damaged items,
they've done the right thing.

You can be unlucky and live in an area with delivery people who, for
example, will just plonk your parcels in plain view of the street. That
sort of thing... which can be a right pain in the arse.
The last time I personally had such a problem was in Eumundi QLD. Quite a
few years ago now, but again a rural area, the 'postie' insisted on
plonking all parcels in the driveways, perfect for the dishonest to pull
over (in complete privacy) and grab your parcels... no need to even get
out of the car to do it!. The then new owners of the local post office
couldnt have cared less, and wouldnt hold any mail for anyone with a
fixed address in town. They were both relatively recent American or
Canadian immigrants as well, just to add a nice touch.

Happy holidays.

Old 24-12-2008, 08:51 AM posted to aus.gardens

Loosecanon wrote:

Barbara makes no sense because if she has a contract to cart items
from A-B the price is quoted taking all factors into consideration
(time & vehicle upkeep). Here we have a price already supplied by the
courier company to have it delivered to the door. They should never
take on anything they can't make good on and should quote a price to
make the end couriers efforts at least profitable.

It makes no sense because you don't know how things go and what happens. I,
on the other hand know the story from both sides of the fence. As pointed
out I have a carrying company, I occasionally have to use couriers.

The point is, people lie. Suppliers lie, customers lie and we in the
transport industry are also guilty, there's no disputing that. Yes we give
quotes taking all factors told to us, but when you're told that something is
just 10 minutes off the highway and you've quoted taking those factor into
consideration, then when you do the delivery, you realise that the "10
minutes" off the highway is timed by the customer whilst flying his
helicopter or perhaps he has a Ferrari and that's how he does it in 10 mins
and that's just to his front gate, his house could be a further km on down a
goat track. Or you go out of your way to do a COD and the customer's wife
has the cheque book and she's gone to visit her mother, so that means a
second call to collect the money, that's not always factored in the price.

Old 24-12-2008, 09:49 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 16:44:06 +0900, Loosecanon wrote:

These are not sent by parcel post
but fit in standard and prepaid envelopes which travel by air from
Pert

Should really be there the next morning if by air. Their are some WA
electronic companies that owe their success to being two hours behind
Eastern states and can take orders to 7pm AEST time and have it their
tomorrow.

The delay happens mainly every 2 or 3 years so I am assuming that the
smaller areas have mail contractors who put tenders into Australia Post.
My theory is not many reapply hence the delays at these times.

Chuckle, but there is always another person to quote too low to take their
place.

Aeration On The Cheap Lawns 8 29-10-2007 11:38 AM
other cheap rural papers will shout believably in bowls Sickly Canadian Teenager United Kingdom 0 01-09-2005 03:26 PM
how Yolanda's rural teacher grasps, Charles recommends against clean, cheap caves Dumb Republican United Kingdom 0 01-09-2005 03:18 PM
lawn aeration Celeste Evans Texas 1 30-01-2004 02:26 PM
Lawn Aeration, how many passes ? Ray Lawns 2 26-06-2003 06:56 PM