Old 15-07-2010, 03:53 AM
Registered User

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave -Turner[_3_] View Post
There's a strange vine of some sorts that's growing alongside/inside my
passionfruit vine ... i don't know if it's the next door neighbours plant or
if it's just a weed, or what.

I pulled one off and was easily able to break it in half with my fingers to
take this photo so you can see inside and out:
http://i44.tinypic.com/10ie9ds.jpg

It's the size of a small apricot, has a smooth (not hairy) skin that is
apricot-orange, and has deep red seeds inside grouped together similar to
passionfruit, that remind me of those from a pomegranate. It looks very
tempting to eat and I love fruit, so hopefully it's edible, but obviously im
not going to eat it until i can identify it

Thanks! :-)
Thank you for this picture. I also have a vine growing on my fence and just found two of these pods with beautiful bright red seeds. The shape was like a small meyer's lemon or quince. Both pods were of different colors, one yellow and the other light peach. They are smooth, thin skinned and look very tempting. I live in California and would love to know if these can be eaten. It is also growing with a passion flower. Thanks for the input.
Old 22-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnicola View Post
Thank you for this picture. I also have a vine growing on my fence and just found two of these pods with beautiful bright red seeds. The shape was like a small meyer's lemon or quince. Both pods were of different colors, one yellow and the other light peach. They are smooth, thin skinned and look very tempting. I live in California and would love to know if these can be eaten. It is also growing with a passion flower. Thanks for the input.
I know, me and my grandma found these in southern California. In spanish they are called "mocados" but I think it is slang and not a proper name. Anyways they taste fig like and are very sweet, they are safe to eat. We ate only the insides and harvested a bunch, I hope they will grown in our garden as the taste is delicious.
Old 22-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnicola View Post
Thank you for this picture. I also have a vine growing on my fence and just found two of these pods with beautiful bright red seeds. The shape was like a small meyer's lemon or quince. Both pods were of different colors, one yellow and the other light peach. They are smooth, thin skinned and look very tempting. I live in California and would love to know if these can be eaten. It is also growing with a passion flower. Thanks for the input.
Oh yea, and they are very frail, thin skin. I'm not sure if I put the seeds in the ground directly or dry them out first, but they are really really tasty and sweet.
Old 22-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnicola View Post
Thank you for this picture. I also have a vine growing on my fence and just found two of these pods with beautiful bright red seeds. The shape was like a small meyer's lemon or quince. Both pods were of different colors, one yellow and the other light peach. They are smooth, thin skinned and look very tempting. I live in California and would love to know if these can be eaten. It is also growing with a passion flower. Thanks for the input.
I'll harvest more and post a pic so you can verify it's the same fruit.
Old 22-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave -Turner[_3_] View Post
There's a strange vine of some sorts that's growing alongside/inside my
passionfruit vine ... i don't know if it's the next door neighbours plant or
if it's just a weed, or what.

I pulled one off and was easily able to break it in half with my fingers to
take this photo so you can see inside and out:
http://i44.tinypic.com/10ie9ds.jpg

It's the size of a small apricot, has a smooth (not hairy) skin that is
apricot-orange, and has deep red seeds inside grouped together similar to
passionfruit, that remind me of those from a pomegranate. It looks very
tempting to eat and I love fruit, so hopefully it's edible, but obviously im
not going to eat it until i can identify it

Thanks! :-)
Here are the pics:

http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/...glikefruit.jpg

http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/...likefruit2.jpg

http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/...colorfruit.jpg

http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/...efruitvine.jpg

The fruit in this picture is a little over ripe, but when they turn a nice orange color, they are delicious. Taste a little figlike and hit the spot.

Old 22-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultradeeps View Post
Here are the pics:

http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/...glikefruit.jpg

http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/...likefruit2.jpg

http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/...colorfruit.jpg

http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/...efruitvine.jpg

The fruit in this picture is a little over ripe, but when they turn a nice orange color, they are delicious. Taste a little figlike and hit the spot.
After much searching, it's Passion fruit....