Old 06-01-2009, 10:53 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default GM Midified tomatoes

This Info found on the web and modified.

These greedy corporations who take a tomatoes plant, modify them and then
charge for the "improved" variety should go jump in the lake.

In the first place they take a tomato seed out of the "public domain" mess
about with it, not knowing the full consequences and then obtain copyright
on the GM product.

Growing a modified tomato or any other product then creates the situation
which leaves the grower open to all kinds of lawsuits.

Read below

Rouge D'Irak

Rouge D'Irak ( this may be a new variety for Aussie conditions)

'This variety is endangered even in its own country, where saving seeds was
made illegal under the 'Colonial Powers' of the United States. Under the new
law, Iraqi farmers must only plant seeds from 'protected varieties' from
international corporations. Is this our unique way of making democracy?

Thats not quite right. Under Iraqi seed law it is illegal for Iraqi farmers
to re-use seeds harvested from new varieties registered under the law. That
means seeds cannot be saved from a crop, or cuttings and other propagations
cannot be made from a crop grown from PVPs (Plant Variety Protection
germplasm) without the patent-holder (term used loosely) being compensated
through an agreed upon method prescribed by the seed law. Yes, this favors
corporate control of new germplasm for 20 years for field crops and 25 years
for trees and vines. And yes, this is a trend worldwide in the seed
industry.

Iraqis may continue to use and save seeds from their traditional seed stocks
.... I suppose so long as there is no cross pollination from PVPs that a
corporation may prove by DNA testing.

But how the heck would anyone know they were growing these GM seeds anyway?
And how do WE know it is modified by them? So how do they "prove" ownership?
I not only angry they can do this, but I'm even more suspicious that some
legal moron allowed this to happen.

Farmers have been genetically modifying seeds by selective growing methods.
Surely you cant patent these plants grown by these methods either?...

In any case, fact is, an Iraqi can grow Rouge D'Irak ( this may be a new
variety for Aussie conditions)on Iraqi soil and from saved seeds without
repurchasing each year.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:16 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"Jonno" wrote:

This Info found on the web and modified.

Please pass on details of the originating website(s).

I think you may be confusing Plant Variety Protection (Plant Breeder's Right
in Australia) with GMOs. The two things are not the same; you register
cultivars under PBR, and there is an International Convention for the
Protection of New Varieties of Plants to go with it (see
http://www.ipaustralia.gov.au/pbr/faq.shtml). Genetically Modified Organisms
are covered by patents, like other inventions. Both PBR and patent law are
administered by the same body in Australia: IPA (see website above).

I know of one problem created by PBR in Australia, and that is that a
naturally-occurring form of a species may be registered as a cultivar. This
is a particular problem for growers of Australian natives, especially people
who collect wild seeds and might inadvertently infringe somebody's PBR. Some
Australian plants (I was reading about callistemons today) vary greatly when
grown from seed, so while a nurseryman thinks he has a cultivar, Aunt Ethel
down the road just has a different form. I suppose that's a roundabout way of
saying that we still don't know a great deal about our flora.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/

Old 17-01-2009, 12:34 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"Jonno" wrote:

As requested ::
http://tinyurl.com/8sokck

As I thought, they mean PBR. Nothing to do with GMOs.