Old 11-01-2009, 03:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Sweet Corn and "Tassel Ear"

Hi Everyone,

This year the Sweet Corn we are growing is D.T. Brown's "Kelvedon
Glory F1" - I notice it is also offered by Mr Fotheringill.

Googling around, it seems to be an established variety.

However a lot of mine is going to "Tassel Ear", where there are side
shoots, called "Tillers", produced from the main stem and these
produce groups of the cobs and the anthers in the same place, with
useless results.

Photos at

http://chloesgarden.blogspot.com/200...weet-corn.html

On reading, it seems that some F1 hybrids have more tendency to this
Tillering, under certain conditions, although none in particular are
named.

I suspect mine has been triggered by being in too rich a soil.

So my questions a

Is anyone else growing "Kelvedon Glory F1" this season, and if so -
how is it going?

And since I am going to avoid F1 Hybrid corn (it was a weak moment),
does anyone have a particular favourite that you suggest?

Cheers

Linda B
There is a new Australian group at Kitchen Gardeners International.
Small, but growing.
http://my.kitchengardeners.org/group...inginaustralia
Old 12-01-2009, 02:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

LindaB wrote:
[...]

Yes. It's not going at all, it was eaten top to bottom by horses :-(

David

Corn ear worms Steve Peek Edible Gardening 0 07-07-2007 06:23 PM
Green Tassel Shrub? Me United Kingdom 6 17-01-2005 08:57 AM
Elephant ear on its ear Heritage58 Ponds 2 18-07-2003 07:12 AM
corn silks/ear shoots DigitalVinyl Edible Gardening 2 15-07-2003 02:32 PM
Corn Ear Worm?? Roger\X\ Texas 2 21-06-2003 04:08 PM