Old 20-01-2009, 09:32 AM posted to aus.gardens
PD PD is offline

Default Odour-filtering Plant suggestions anyone?

Thanks everyone, I may not have received a vast number of plant suggestions
but have enjoyed myself nevertheless! ) Perhaps an occasional sprinkling
of prawn heads in their front yard might discourage them from lingering
outside - wonder how far that smell would travel?

Of course, a small job becomes a big job - I can put a lattice up to grow
something on, but first need to repair the fence that the neighbour's son
burned a hole through after a few too many drinks, I believe. (Dumped the
post-bbq ashes from the Weber at the base of a timber fence, by next morning
it was in flames. Clever bloke. Somehow managed to miss the bark chip
mulch that was all over his garden, otherwise the whole lot would've gone
up.)

Cheers.

"PD" wrote in message
u...

OK, maybe a slightly odd question, but here goes:
Our new neighbours sit at the front of their house smoking at all hours of
the day and night. Due to the lay of the land, the smell fills our front
yard, and if we have our front door open, it fills the house as well.

We have a strip of garden between our driveway and our joint fence which
is in dire need of attention - so now I'm wondering if there's anything I
can plant that would help to filter the air between our place and theirs.
Or be sufficiently (pleasantly) fragranced itself year-round that it might
overpower the smoke pong. Any ideas anyone? The strip of garden is only
about 2ft wide, and I don't want anything that's going to end up
scratching the car every time we drive in and out (had that problem for
many years, and a badly damaged car as a result!).

Thanks in advance,
Penny
(in Beecroft, Sydney)

Old 21-01-2009, 06:17 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message

I should have buried it better but then I thought the
maggots would do a much quicker job on it than they are so far doing.
They seem to manage to get rid of roos much faster thant his chook.
Can't understand it given the size difference.

do you think wombats decompose faster than feral pigs? because now that
you mention the above, i reckon they might.

Hmmm. Now you mention it, you could be right. The dead wombats I've seen
just seem to melt away.

But the pigs.... the trick with them is to get the others to come to the
carcase and pretty soon it's not a problem. Have you seen the RLPB feral
pig trap in action? Very effective.

decomposition is so very interesting! (which i suppose is why we are all
here at alt.gardens ;-)

Yeah, we all love rot :-))