Old 13-01-2009, 06:23 AM posted to aus.gardens
PD PD is offline

Default Odour-filtering Plant suggestions anyone?

OK, maybe a slightly odd question, but here goes:
Our new neighbours sit at the front of their house smoking at all hours of
the day and night. Due to the lay of the land, the smell fills our front
yard, and if we have our front door open, it fills the house as well.

We have a strip of garden between our driveway and our joint fence which is
in dire need of attention - so now I'm wondering if there's anything I can
plant that would help to filter the air between our place and theirs. Or be
sufficiently (pleasantly) fragranced itself year-round that it might
overpower the smoke pong. Any ideas anyone? The strip of garden is only
about 2ft wide, and I don't want anything that's going to end up scratching
the car every time we drive in and out (had that problem for many years, and
a badly damaged car as a result!).

Thanks in advance,
Penny
(in Beecroft, Sydney)

Old 14-01-2009, 12:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

"PD" wrote in message
u...

[...]

i have that problem myself with my septic tank occasionally having an
explosion of pong!! it has a big load of pampas grass on one side, which i
have noticed helps a great deal (in that direction, depending on the
wind...) so i feel any type of vegetative barrier seems to help quite a bit.

what about star jasmine? it grows very well practically everywhere, & the
flowers smell really lovely (if you are into those types of heady aromas),
and you can keep it tied to it's lattice (or whatever you put up, it needs
support) and can thus be kept tidy & pretty. if your support is quite tall,
it will go up high.
kylie

Old 14-01-2009, 02:47 AM posted to aus.gardens

Report them to the EPA?
Put them in to the Quit campaign?

http://www.quitnow.info.au/

You would also be helping their health...

Or move... It may be damaging your health too...

"0tterbot" wrote in message
u...

Old 14-01-2009, 06:31 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"PD" wrote in message

[...]

I have a dead chook in the compost heap at the moment and it stinks
something chronic. I should have buried it better but then I thought the
maggots would do a much quicker job on it than they are so far doing. They
seem to manage to get rid of roos much faster thant his chook. Can't
understand it given the size difference.

I've been walking past it for days and remembering that I read in the
"Body Farm" book about an experiment they did on how close people had to be
before they smelled corpses. It was very, very close. dont' think I
believe that experiement anymore.

Try a dead chook. You'll enjoy the tobacco after that and your neighbours
won't want to use their verandah at all any more.

Old 14-01-2009, 07:07 AM posted to aus.gardens

Re Dead chook, I Like it, yeah, but will the smokers still have a sense of
smell at this point?
Its obvious they have no sense!
Damned drug addicts!

Old 14-01-2009, 07:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:

Try a dead chook. You'll enjoy the tobacco after that and your
neighbours won't want to use their verandah at all any more.

Try a commercial chicken shed being cleaned out, tons of fresh manure and
dozens of corpses. The blokes who work inside wear breathing apparatus. We
used to be 300m from one and on really hot nights it was better to keep the
windows closed and lose weight.

David

Old 14-01-2009, 11:59 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Jan 13, 5:23*pm, "PD" wrote:
[...]

Dear Penny

In addition to all the other helpful comments (like moving house), I
thought you might like to see this article on "third hand smoke" which
was on some "news" site today.

http://motherandbaby.com.au/ContentI...ContentID=1150

It seems as if some dangerous elements of smoke remain after the
cigarette is put out. It occurs to me that your neighbours themselves
are likely to be dangerous to your health if you get too close to
them.

I hope you come up with a solution. Cigarette smoke can be extremely
penetrating, and masking it with other smells often does not even make
a "cosmetic" difference. I did once think of moving house because of
neighbours who constantly practiced playing heavy metal music until
the early hours of the morning, and I imagine I would find smoke very
taxing.

Yours

Norm
Old 15-01-2009, 02:34 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonno[_18_] View Post
Report them to the EPA?
Put them in to the Quit campaign?

http://www.quitnow.info.au/

You would also be helping their health...

Or move... It may be damaging your health too...

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"PD"
wrote in message
u...

[...]

Any of the lillypilly family [syzygium] would be good because of the dense foliage and fresh , almost citrus smell , the folliage will remain soft if pruned reg. golden penda or the xanthostemon could also be suitable as it grows upright with few lateral branches so way less pruning and it produces a showy yellow flower. cheers and good luck, you could always try tabacco, the flowering kind.....very pleasant smelling but lacks the height you require.
Old 15-01-2009, 08:08 AM posted to aus.gardens

I should have buried it better but then I thought the
maggots would do a much quicker job on it than they are so far doing.
They seem to manage to get rid of roos much faster thant his chook. Can't
understand it given the size difference.

do you think wombats decompose faster than feral pigs? because now that you
mention the above, i reckon they might.

decomposition is so very interesting! (which i suppose is why we are all
here at alt.gardens ;-)
kylie

Old 15-01-2009, 09:32 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:56:53 +0000, Jonno wrote:

Do dead composers decompose too?

Yep.
Old 17-01-2009, 12:41 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"PD" wrote:

We have a strip of garden between our driveway and our joint fence which is
in dire need of attention - so now I'm wondering if there's anything I can
plant that would help to filter the air between our place and theirs. Or be
sufficiently (pleasantly) fragranced itself year-round that it might
overpower the smoke pong. Any ideas anyone?

A titan arum?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...1/s1779480.htm

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/
Old 18-01-2009, 05:55 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Chookie" wrote in
"PD" wrote:

We have a strip of garden between our driveway and our joint fence which
is
in dire need of attention - so now I'm wondering if there's anything I
can
plant that would help to filter the air between our place and theirs. Or
be
sufficiently (pleasantly) fragranced itself year-round that it might
overpower the smoke pong. Any ideas anyone?

A titan arum?

LOL

I wonder if a dead chook would be cheaper that a titan Arum?

Old 18-01-2009, 12:48 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:23:51 +1100, PD wrote:

so now I'm wondering if there's anything I can
plant that would help to filter the air between our place and theirs.

Nope. if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction, you're going to get
stunk out.

About the only think that would make senses is a very tall trellis/frame
which you grow a pongy vine over, but that will only work when the vine
is in flower.

We are in a similar situation with the neighbour next door, although, since
his melanoma returned, he has stopped.