Old 04-02-2009, 09:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

Default Ripening pears

David Hare-Scott wrote:

Settle down you lot. Why are you disputing?

I'm not sure what caused such an agressive response either to your
original post or to my reply.

My memory is faulty. I repeat myself. And say the same thing over
again. And sometimes ask questions more than once. And forget why I
am I typing. What is this all about again?

Who knows ?

I hope you manage to harvest your pears at the right time this year -
and if you do get it right, write it down so you don't have to ask again
next year

David

--
Anne Chambers
South Australia

anne dot chambers at bigpond dot com
Old 04-02-2009, 06:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

In message , David Hare-Scott
writes
Billy wrote:
I'm grumpy alright, but the heat has nothing to do with it. The
grumpiness is because I'm seeing stupidity from someone who I don't
normally rate as being stupid.

Perhaps the heat causes stupidity.

FarmI,
you should excuse David, he's from "La-La Land" (a.k.a. Los Angeles)
and they are expecting 2 to 4 millimeters of rain on thursday. As you
might expect, panic and confusion has broken out among the
inhabitants of the region at the prospect of a day that isn't bright
and sunny. He'll settle down again, once the crisis is past ;O)

Irony of it is that it appears to be you who is experiencing the heat,
i.e., 91F (33C) in Cooma, and 81F (27C) in Sydney.

No I'm from north of Newcastle, Australia. My pasture is drying off as
there has been no useful rain for three months and I cannot irrigate
'cause the river has stopped. Weather prediction is 40C (104F) for the
weekend, I may have to send my stock elsewhere if it doesn't rain
soon. The mine down the road wants to turn my valley into a pit and
discharge dirty water into the river, so I am a little tense. Not that
causes forgetfulness.

And did I mention that I wish I had never started this thread?

David

Don't worry - you're promised rain by next Tuesday. That should relax
you and improve the memory
--
Gopher .... I know my place! It's called Dorset.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

I solve these problems by walking away before posting a grumpy reply. If I'm
still feeling grumpy, I'd change my personal habits...
People do forget...
E's sorry! Now straighten out Farm1... (grin!)
He's now got three problems 1) his pears
2) his memory
3) You being grumpy in some
remote faraway place, god knows where. But he cares enough to say sorry....
I only have one question Farm1 Do you want to be renamed GRUMPY?

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Pears will ripen off the tree but is it necessary? How do you
know the best time to pick them? What happens if you leave them
too long?

Didn't you ask this question last year?

Yes, didn't get a sensible answer.

I recall answering such a question last year and going back and
forth about how to pick the right time to pick them.

And yes, they do need to be picked and ripened off the tree. The
trick is how to do that. I gave a fulsome answer on that in last
year's response but it's just too hot to go through the same thing
all over again.

Sorry I must have missed it.

Well that's clear. Anyone who had anything to say on the topic last
year knows not to bother again.

The heat is making you grumpy.

What is making me grumpy is that you asked the question last year,
you were given the answer then when you asked the question and you
seemingly didn't believe the answer given.

If you think you didn't get a 'sensible answer' last year and you now
get a similar sort of response from new people this year who say
similar things to what I told you last year, then you should get off
your arse and do some research for yourself rather than asking here.

I'm grumpy alright, but the heat has nothing to do with it. The
grumpiness is because I'm seeing stupidity from someone who I don't
normally rate as being stupid.

Perhaps the heat causes stupidity.

As I said before I'm sorry

David

Old 06-02-2009, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
[...]

the river, so I am a little tense. Not that that causes forgetfulness.

And did I mention that I wish I had never started this thread?

David

Whoops, my bad ;O)

The strip mine near Martins Creek? Strip mines are a dirty business in
the U.S. They are rarely good neighbors.

This may be totally worthless to you but at

http://www.pickyourown.org/pearpickingtips.htm

it says

* Attached to the tree: Pears are best picked when the fruit
separates easily from the twigs. If it is hard to pull off the tree, it
isn't ready!
* Textu A pear ready to be picked should have a feeling of
springiness to its flesh. Close your hand around one and squeeze. If it
feels absolutely rock hard, it's still not ready. You should be able to
detect a slight feeling of give, but not too much.
* Drops: when healthy fruits begin to drop, the others on the tree
are ready;
* Color: there is a change in fruit color from green to yellow; and
the stem separates easily from the branch. To pick pears, grasp the
fruit firmly and twist or roll it to make the stem separate from the
tree.
* Asian pears, unlike European pears, should be allowed to ripen on
the tree. They need no after-ripening storage period. Asian pears are
ready for harvest when they come away easily from the spur or branch
when they are lifted and twisted slightly. Use the taste test; they're
ready when they taste good. Asian pears should be crisp and crunchy when
eaten.

The other poster is right, the weather guesser says you have a 40%
chance of rain on the 10th, and 60% chance on the 11th and 12th.
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars
Old 06-02-2009, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

Anne as a family historian, you surprise me. I never wrote that
David didn't respond to me.

If you put your critical reading hat on, you should be wondering why
David is being such a dill given that he's admitted to asking the
quesion last year.

No but he said he had missed your posting...and what has being a
family historian got to do with it ?

PLONK

Settle down you lot. Why are you disputing? My memory is faulty. I
repeat myself. And say the same thing over again. And sometimes ask
questions more than once. And forget why I am I typing. What is this all
about again?

i think it IS about how grumpy we all are in the heat :-) (well, i know _i_
am - it's primarily been 40 degrees- to 44 degrees almost every day for
bloody weeks & weeks in my back yard. a cool day is 38. my garden is grumpy
too, consequently).

i can't help you about the nectarines, though. all i can do is whinge.
kylie

Old 09-02-2009, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
[...]

Well it's big of you to say so. But don't get too put out by a snarly
session on my part. Given the shit that's happening in Victoria at the
moment a minor face ripping on usenet is totally irrelevant in the great
scheme of things.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Pears will ripen off the tree but is it necessary? How do you know
the best time to pick them? What happens if you leave them too
long?
Didn't you ask this question last year?
Yes, didn't get a sensible answer.

I recall answering such a question last year and going back and
forth about how to pick the right time to pick them.

And yes, they do need to be picked and ripened off the tree. The
trick is how to do that. I gave a fulsome answer on that in last
year's response but it's just too hot to go through the same thing
all over again.
Sorry I must have missed it.
Well that's clear. Anyone who had anything to say on the topic last
year knows not to bother again.
The heat is making you grumpy.

The whole thread from last year can be viewed here - you did respond to
her at the time.

http://tinyurl.com/d4x6b2

Anne as a family historian, you surprise me. I never wrote that David
didn't respond to me.

If you put your critical reading hat on, you should be wondering why
David is being such a dill given that he's admitted to asking the quesion
last year.

No but he said he had missed your posting...and what has being a family
historian got to do with it ?

PLONK

Well Anne, you've plonked me so you won't see this. But just for the
archives, I'll record here that I left out a paragraph in what I wrote in
response to you.

I went out to move a hose and came back and put in a final para but missed
out the one I'd composed in my head whilst outside. As it is my post in
response to you made no sense whatsoever, so my injunction to put a critical
reading hat on obviously didnt' work either gfor you or for me. And I'm
cross at myself for my own stupidity at posting somethign that doesn't make
sense.

But you gave me a good chuckle at your grumpiness and such a quickfire
Plonking. Must be the season for grumpiness.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
I solve these problems by walking away before posting a grumpy reply. If
I'm still feeling grumpy, I'd change my personal habits...
People do forget...
E's sorry! Now straighten out Farm1... (grin!)
He's now got three problems 1) his pears
2) his memory
3) You being grumpy in some
remote faraway place, god knows where. But he cares enough to say
sorry....
I only have one question Farm1 Do you want to be renamed GRUMPY?

No. I'd rather be Sleepy.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
As I said before I'm sorry

Well it's big of you to say so. But don't get too put out by a snarly
session on my part. Given the shit that's happening in Victoria at
the moment a minor face ripping on usenet is totally irrelevant in
the great scheme of things.

Quite so. How is your psture going? Any fires near you?

David

Old 10-02-2009, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
As I said before I'm sorry

Well it's big of you to say so. But don't get too put out by a snarly
session on my part. Given the shit that's happening in Victoria at
the moment a minor face ripping on usenet is totally irrelevant in
the great scheme of things.

Quite so. How is your psture going? Any fires near you?

There is one fire in the district but it's nnot considered a problem ATM but
the smoke is somewhat concerning because you're always on high alert, as
you'd know.

Our pasture is all hayed off so it's a case of giving the cattle bypass
blocks to cope with the feed. Luckily (or perhaps unluckily if a fire
starts) we have lots of dry standing feed so we don't have to feed out or
buy any. Should be OK for winter too. And in fact I'm now looking forward
to winter with a vengeance.

What about your pasture - have you had to agist your animals yet?

Old 10-02-2009, 07:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
I solve these problems by walking away before posting a grumpy reply. If
I'm still feeling grumpy, I'd change my personal habits...
People do forget...
E's sorry! Now straighten out Farm1... (grin!)
He's now got three problems 1) his pears
2) his memory
3) You being grumpy in some
remote faraway place, god knows where. But he cares enough to say
sorry....
I only have one question Farm1 Do you want to be renamed GRUMPY?

No. I'd rather be Sleepy.

Yer gomnna get Dopey if youre not nice! or could be cursed by being
Sneezy....

Old 11-02-2009, 03:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
"Jonno" wrote in message
I solve these problems by walking away before posting a grumpy reply. If
I'm still feeling grumpy, I'd change my personal habits...
People do forget...
E's sorry! Now straighten out Farm1... (grin!)
He's now got three problems 1) his pears
2) his memory
3) You being grumpy in some
remote faraway place, god knows where. But he cares enough to say
sorry....
I only have one question Farm1 Do you want to be renamed GRUMPY?

No. I'd rather be Sleepy.

Yer gomnna get Dopey if youre not nice! or could be cursed by being
Sneezy....

But Dopey is already taken so I think I'll let you keep it.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
"Jonno" wrote in message
I solve these problems by walking away before posting a grumpy reply. If
I'm still feeling grumpy, I'd change my personal habits...
People do forget...
E's sorry! Now straighten out Farm1... (grin!)
He's now got three problems 1) his pears
2) his memory
3) You being grumpy in some
remote faraway place, god knows where. But he cares enough to say
sorry....
I only have one question Farm1 Do you want to be renamed GRUMPY?

No. I'd rather be Sleepy.

Yer gomnna get Dopey if youre not nice! or could be cursed by being
Sneezy....

But Dopey is already taken so I think I'll let you keep it.

Ok Youre cursed with Dopey...
Ya havent been nice lately....

Old 12-02-2009, 07:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
[...]

Not yet. We have just let them into a reserve area that I was irrigating a
bit (until the river stopped) so they are OK for now. We have had 28mm of
rain in the last few days and getting a little green flush. Right now I am
gambling that we will get more rain and build up some growth before the
weather turns - if not we are stuffed. They are all pretty fat so a couple
of good falls in the next few weeks will see us through.

David

Ripening pears FarmI Edible Gardening 21 01-06-2011 08:23 PM
Ripening pears Anne Chambers[_2_] Edible Gardening 2 09-02-2009 12:49 AM
Pears - Pears.jpg (0/1) Steve Newport Edible Gardening 1 26-06-2006 06:23 AM
ripening pears mark United Kingdom 3 24-09-2003 09:22 PM
Ripening schedule for pears? krm United Kingdom 1 01-02-2003 10:22 AM