Old 30-01-2009, 10:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

Default Ripening pears

Pears will ripen off the tree but is it necessary? How do you know the best
time to pick them? What happens if you leave them too long?

David

Old 31-01-2009, 04:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Pears will ripen off the tree but is it necessary? How do you know the
best time to pick them? What happens if you leave them too long?

Didn't you ask this question last year?

I recall answering such a question last year and going back and forth about
how to pick the right time to pick them.

And yes, they do need to be picked and ripened off the tree. The trick is
how to do that. I gave a fulsome answer on that in last year's response but
it's just too hot to go through the same thing all over again.

Old 31-01-2009, 06:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Pears will ripen off the tree but is it necessary? How do you know
the best time to pick them? What happens if you leave them too long?

Didn't you ask this question last year?

Yes, didn't get a sensible answer.

I recall answering such a question last year and going back and forth
about how to pick the right time to pick them.

And yes, they do need to be picked and ripened off the tree. The
trick is how to do that. I gave a fulsome answer on that in last
year's response but it's just too hot to go through the same thing
all over again.

Sorry I must have missed it.

David
Old 31-01-2009, 08:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

And yes, they do need to be picked and ripened off the tree. The trick is
how to do that.

I think the best way is to pick a couple and let them sit for a few days,
then taste them. If they are completely unripe, go out and pick some more
to test. If they are almost ripe, pick them all.
--S.

Old 31-01-2009, 05:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

This is a huge question! There are innumerable varieties of pears, and each
one is different. I've been looking, without much success, for clear and
reliable information on this for many years.

Some suggested ways to tell when they are ready to pick:
Just after the "last run-up in size."
When, if you lift them gently, they detach from the tree (or, when they
begin to fall).
When the seeds are hardened and mature (cut some open to check).

Just to keep things interesting, on some varieties all the fruit on the tree
will not be ready to pick at the same time. And I've been told that
Bartletts will ripen on the tree.

If you pick them too soon they will never ripen. If you leave them too long,
some will just go straight from inedible to mush, some will just seem
indefinitely inert.

That's the first tricky part, when to pick them. The second tricky part is
what to do next. Some will ripen over a period of days or weeks sitting
around at room temperature, some need a particular stretch of refrigeration.
And some, once they are ripe, pass very quickly (just a very few days) into
rottenness.

Actually, I guess the first tricky part is to know what kind of pear you
have. If it is a tree you "inherited," this can be very difficult. If you
know what kind it is, you can search for information on that particular
variety. If not, do some meticulous experimenting and keep track of your
results, until you hit on the right timing and ripening routine for your
tree. Keep track of the bloom time, too, so you will eventually be able to
predict when they are getting ready to pick (i.e., xxx days from bloom to
picking). It can take years, so be stubborn.

Good luck!

--

Visit
www.insectgraphics.com for all your insect gift needs

Old 02-02-2009, 03:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Pears will ripen off the tree but is it necessary? How do you know
the best time to pick them? What happens if you leave them too long?

Didn't you ask this question last year?

Yes, didn't get a sensible answer.

I recall answering such a question last year and going back and forth
about how to pick the right time to pick them.

And yes, they do need to be picked and ripened off the tree. The
trick is how to do that. I gave a fulsome answer on that in last
year's response but it's just too hot to go through the same thing
all over again.

Sorry I must have missed it.

Well that's clear. Anyone who had anything to say on the topic last year
knows not to bother again.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Pears will ripen off the tree but is it necessary? How do you know
the best time to pick them? What happens if you leave them too
long?

Didn't you ask this question last year?

Yes, didn't get a sensible answer.

I recall answering such a question last year and going back and
forth about how to pick the right time to pick them.

And yes, they do need to be picked and ripened off the tree. The
trick is how to do that. I gave a fulsome answer on that in last
year's response but it's just too hot to go through the same thing
all over again.

Sorry I must have missed it.

Well that's clear. Anyone who had anything to say on the topic last
year knows not to bother again.

The heat is making you grumpy.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Pears will ripen off the tree but is it necessary? How do you know
the best time to pick them? What happens if you leave them too
long?

Didn't you ask this question last year?

Yes, didn't get a sensible answer.

I recall answering such a question last year and going back and
forth about how to pick the right time to pick them.

And yes, they do need to be picked and ripened off the tree. The
trick is how to do that. I gave a fulsome answer on that in last
year's response but it's just too hot to go through the same thing
all over again.

Sorry I must have missed it.

Well that's clear. Anyone who had anything to say on the topic last
year knows not to bother again.

The heat is making you grumpy.

The whole thread from last year can be viewed here - you did respond to
her at the time.

http://groups.google.com.au/group/au...browse_thread/
thread/e0ccc6b4d40ced03/0e6ba07083a45158?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=rip
ening+pears#0e6ba07083a45158

or

http://tinyurl.com/d4x6b2

--
Anne Chambers
South Australia

anne dot chambers at bigpond dot com
Old 04-02-2009, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Pears will ripen off the tree but is it necessary? How do you know
the best time to pick them? What happens if you leave them too
long?

Didn't you ask this question last year?

Yes, didn't get a sensible answer.

I recall answering such a question last year and going back and
forth about how to pick the right time to pick them.

And yes, they do need to be picked and ripened off the tree. The
trick is how to do that. I gave a fulsome answer on that in last
year's response but it's just too hot to go through the same thing
all over again.

Sorry I must have missed it.

Well that's clear. Anyone who had anything to say on the topic last
year knows not to bother again.

The heat is making you grumpy.

What is making me grumpy is that you asked the question last year, you were
given the answer then when you asked the question and you seemingly didn't
believe the answer given.

If you think you didn't get a 'sensible answer' last year and you now get a
similar sort of response from new people this year who say similar things to
what I told you last year, then you should get off your arse and do some
research for yourself rather than asking here.

I'm grumpy alright, but the heat has nothing to do with it. The grumpiness
is because I'm seeing stupidity from someone who I don't normally rate as
being stupid.

Perhaps the heat causes stupidity.

..

Old 04-02-2009, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

"Anne Chambers" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
[...]

Anne as a family historian, you surprise me. I never wrote that David
didn't respond to me.

If you put your critical reading hat on, you should be wondering why David
is being such a dill given that he's admitted to asking the quesion last
year.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

In article
,

FarmI wrote:
[...]

FarmI,
you should excuse David, he's from "La-La Land" (a.k.a. Los Angeles) and
they are expecting 2 to 4 millimeters of rain on thursday. As you might
expect, panic and confusion has broken out among the inhabitants of the
region at the prospect of a day that isn't bright and sunny. He'll
settle down again, once the crisis is past ;O)

Irony of it is that it appears to be you who is experiencing the heat,
i.e., 91F (33C) in Cooma, and 81F (27C) in Sydney.
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars
Old 04-02-2009, 02:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
[...]

No but he said he had missed your posting...and what has being a family
historian got to do with it ?

PLONK

Old 04-02-2009, 07:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
[...]

Settle down you lot. Why are you disputing? My memory is faulty. I repeat
myself. And say the same thing over again. And sometimes ask questions more
than once. And forget why I am I typing. What is this all about again?

David

Old 04-02-2009, 07:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
[...]

As I said before I'm sorry

David
Old 04-02-2009, 07:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens

Billy wrote:
I'm grumpy alright, but the heat has nothing to do with it. The
grumpiness is because I'm seeing stupidity from someone who I don't
normally rate as being stupid.

Perhaps the heat causes stupidity.

FarmI,
you should excuse David, he's from "La-La Land" (a.k.a. Los Angeles)
and they are expecting 2 to 4 millimeters of rain on thursday. As you
might expect, panic and confusion has broken out among the
inhabitants of the region at the prospect of a day that isn't bright
and sunny. He'll settle down again, once the crisis is past ;O)

Irony of it is that it appears to be you who is experiencing the heat,
i.e., 91F (33C) in Cooma, and 81F (27C) in Sydney.

No I'm from north of Newcastle, Australia. My pasture is drying off as
there has been no useful rain for three months and I cannot irrigate 'cause
the river has stopped. Weather prediction is 40C (104F) for the weekend, I
may have to send my stock elsewhere if it doesn't rain soon. The mine down
the road wants to turn my valley into a pit and discharge dirty water into
the river, so I am a little tense. Not that that causes forgetfulness.

And did I mention that I wish I had never started this thread?

David

Ripening pears FarmI Edible Gardening 21 01-06-2011 08:23 PM
Ripening pears Anne Chambers[_2_] Edible Gardening 2 09-02-2009 12:49 AM
Pears - Pears.jpg (0/1) Steve Newport Edible Gardening 1 26-06-2006 06:23 AM
ripening pears mark United Kingdom 3 24-09-2003 09:22 PM
Ripening schedule for pears? krm United Kingdom 1 01-02-2003 10:22 AM