Old 22-02-2009, 11:26 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Black snakes

Robb Scott wrote:

Many years ago I was walking in the Lederderg Gorge in Victoria and I
sat on a rock and had a smoke while I was resting. My Labrador also
had a rest and sat beside me. After I put out my cigarette and
started to stand up I viewed an enormous brown snake lying on the
rock behind us.

I gently grabbed the Labrador by the collar and guided her away and
from a distance I viewed the snake still there and apparently
unperturbed by our visit. Had we been bitten we were probably 4 hours
away from medical support.

See smoking IS a health hazard.

David
Old 22-02-2009, 11:28 PM posted to aus.gardens

Trish Brown wrote:
terryc wrote:
On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 21:37:05 +0000, Jonno wrote:

Animals, fish and humans blunder onto a snake, and that's their main
objective.
To not be seen. Lunch comes their way...

Er which snakes have humans as part of their natural diet?
Even large mamals (small macropods) would be an exception.

FWIW, brown snakes take great pleasure in biting cows and their calves
in the paddock. We lost at least three or four a year to snakebite. I
don't know about black snake bite, but assume a RBB snake would bite a
large mammal if disturbed or trodden upon. That's not to say the
snakes *eat* large mammals, but they do bite them... ;-D

In my experience browns are much more aggressive. Blacks would rather run
than fight but I don't try to corner them to see how far I can push it!

David