Old 28-02-2009, 11:26 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Grafting

Hi all,
I once watched a friend graft a black fig variety onto a green fig variety.
He used plastic cling wrap, tape, and aluminium foil. He removed a small
branch from the green fig leaving a couple of centimetres stump. He split
this down about a centimetre. Then he made a wedge of the stem to be grafted
on and pushed it down into the split. He then went to work with the above
materials, but I cannot remember in what order he used them.
I now have a green fig growing and would like to graft a black fig onto it.
Is anyone familiar with this procedure and can explain it please. My friend
is no longer available to ask.
Thanks,
Dan

Old 28-02-2009, 02:01 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 11:26:23 +0000, Dan wrote:

Is anyone familiar with this procedure and
can explain it please.

You have to make sure that the cambiran layer on both meet, so the stump
can feed the graft.

Usually, the plastic tape was just to close the slit and hold the graft
bud into place. That is really all you need. the aluminium foil may have
been to protect it from the sun. no idea about the cling wrap unless it
is a special requirement of figs.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

"terryc" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 11:26:23 +0000, Dan wrote:

Is anyone familiar with this procedure and
can explain it please.

You have to make sure that the cambiran layer on both meet, so the stump
can feed the graft.

Usually, the plastic tape was just to close the slit and hold the graft
bud into place. That is really all you need. the aluminium foil may have
been to protect it from the sun. no idea about the cling wrap unless it
is a special requirement of figs.

Hi terryc,
I don't think the cling wrap was a special requirement for figs. I think it
was just a very successful grafting procedure. My friend had an avocado tree
with about five varieties grafted on so the one tree bore fruit practically
all the year round. He had a peach tree with at least three varieties, and
of course the fig. The foil was probably used to protect from the sun as it
was in the subtropical Atherton Tablelands, and I believe the cling wrap was
to maintain moisture. I'm not really worried why he used them, but how he
used them. I think at least one of the films was used twice. Sadly he has
passed away, and I have lost a great friend as well as a mine of gardening
information.
Cheers,
Dan.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:20 PM posted to aus.gardens

" Dan" wrote in message

Hi terryc,
I don't think the cling wrap was a special requirement for figs. I think
it was just a very successful grafting procedure. My friend had an avocado
tree with about five varieties grafted on so the one tree bore fruit
practically all the year round. He had a peach tree with at least three
varieties, and of course the fig. The foil was probably used to protect
from the sun as it was in the subtropical Atherton Tablelands, and I
believe the cling wrap was to maintain moisture. I'm not really worried
why he used them, but how he used them. I think at least one of the films
was used twice. Sadly he has passed away, and I have lost a great friend
as well as a mine of gardening information.
Cheers,
Dan.

i understand that what you wrap it with is much less important than just
getting it right - nice neat cuts, and a good size match, so the cambium
layers match up (which is the important thing) and stay matched until the
graft grows together, as terry said. some people use raffia. some people
probably use string or sticky tape!
good luck.
kylie

Old 05-03-2009, 06:23 PM posted to aus.gardens

some people
probably use string or sticky tape!

.....................or even grafting wax
--

09=ix