Old 09-03-2009, 04:39 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Tomatoes

terryc wrote:
On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 17:43:14 +1100, FarmI wrote:

Bloody thing got its revenge by being as tough as an old
boot once cooked.

Slow cooking.

If you have a few, you could always try the chook softner technique; give
them chateau le cardboard to drink, or so I'm told.

Or drink it yourself...and forget about the worlds woes and rabbits for
a while...Jack Russel's sound like fun. What do they taste like?

Old 09-03-2009, 04:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 17:43:14 +1100, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

wrote in message
On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 01:16:13 GMT, "0tterbot" wrote:

other than that we are having/have had
big problems with furry creatures & now the ****ing rabbits are back,

Ahhhh Free meat for the pot..... Yummmm !

Dunno about that. I suspect farmed rabbits are the way to go. Himself shot
one on our back lawn and handed it to me to skin, gut and cook. I figured
it wasn't too dissimilar to a chook so managed the gutting and skinning OK.
Bloody thing got its revenge by being as tough as an old boot once cooked.
I should have just cut it up with some secateurs and given it to the dogs.

Brown all over in a large pot (Pressure cooker) in a good dollop of
olive oil, close up and cookin own juices and a touch of extra water
or perhaps a bit of "Red" added, for around 20 ~ minutes.

Open, season and eat.....
Old 09-03-2009, 07:08 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 17:43:14 +1100, FarmI wrote:

Dunno about that. I suspect farmed rabbits are the way to go.

Frankly, they are tasteless, require individual cages and then you have
to buy(expensive) or hand collect their feed.

If they ran like a flock of chooks, it would be easier, but you would
still need fences down 4' and over 6' high. The problem with a group of
rabbits is they take to fighting as they mature, both sexes, which ruins
the skins.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:33 PM posted to aus.gardens

jonno wrote:

Tom N wrote:
0tterbot wrote:

i haven't seen much bee activity for quite a while & i
wonder what is going on there. we've had bees out the wazoo all year
round since we came, but not lately.

I haven't been seeing many bees lately either (Melbourne). Half of
those I see are blue-banded bees (native) rather than introduced bees
(which is what we normally see). Blue-banded bees have been rare in
the past. Many of the introduced bees I see are crawling on the
ground like they are dying.

Our tomatoes have been shite (2 types of cherry and 1 roma). Fungal
problems early on, lots of flowers, not many leaves, hardly any
fruit. Tank water so no problem there.

We had plenty of nectarines so the bees must have been active in
spring.

Same here. Blue banded bees, are seen but the lavender, which usually
attracts all bees are only visited by blue banded bees (never noticed
b4) and are unfortunately seasonal types. The introduced species are
missing completely in the northern suburbs of Melbourne for sure, or
at least diminished. I wondered why I couldnt see the little beggars
earlier this year, thinking I may have killed them using dusting
powder....

Wonder what might be going on...

I saw a couple of healthy European honey bees today. Still way outnumbered
by blue banded bees (and European wasps for that matter).

Perhaps the extreme heat and lack of rain in Melbourne has been to blame.
If that is the reason, then it must be perfect weather for blue banded
bees.

I saw a story in the local paper about a house dripping honey after a bees
nest in the ceiling melted in the heat.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:12 PM posted to aus.gardens

"terryc" wrote in message
On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 17:43:14 +1100, FarmI wrote:

Dunno about that. I suspect farmed rabbits are the way to go.

Frankly, they are tasteless, require individual cages and then you have
to buy(expensive) or hand collect their feed.

If they ran like a flock of chooks, it would be easier, but you would
still need fences down 4' and over 6' high. The problem with a group of
rabbits is they take to fighting as they mature, both sexes, which ruins
the skins.

My middle brother raised NZ whites in years past. Bloody big enuf to saddle,
and with a real sour disposition, biting the hand that feeds ya is NOT good
form. Really biting had to wear gloves and this was the alpha male of the
household.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:33 PM posted to aus.gardens

SG1 wrote:
"terryc" wrote in message
On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 17:43:14 +1100, FarmI wrote:

Dunno about that. I suspect farmed rabbits are the way to go.

Frankly, they are tasteless, require individual cages and then you have
to buy(expensive) or hand collect their feed.

If they ran like a flock of chooks, it would be easier, but you would
still need fences down 4' and over 6' high. The problem with a group of
rabbits is they take to fighting as they mature, both sexes, which ruins
the skins.

My middle brother raised NZ whites in years past. Bloody big enuf to saddle,
and with a real sour disposition, biting the hand that feeds ya is NOT good
form. Really biting had to wear gloves and this was the alpha male of the
household.

Get this
"The damage was not covered by insurance because it was caused by an
insect rather than an animal."
Arent bees an animal? Of course they are.
Open to further comment...

Bet ya it was Commonwealth insurance!
Good people to do business with, until you make a claim.
Found the story here... http://preview.tinyurl.com/cma7q5

Old 09-03-2009, 11:13 PM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
wrote in message
On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 01:16:13 GMT, "0tterbot" wrote:

other than that we are having/have had
big problems with furry creatures & now the ****ing rabbits are
back,

Ahhhh Free meat for the pot..... Yummmm !

Dunno about that. I suspect farmed rabbits are the way to go. Himself
shot one on our back lawn and handed it to me to skin, gut
and cook. I figured it wasn't too dissimilar to a chook so managed
the gutting and skinning OK. Bloody thing got its revenge by being as
tough as an old boot once cooked. I should have just cut it up with
some secateurs and given it to the dogs.

I don't have rabbits for long despite plenty in the district, good feed and
unfenced vege garden. The kelpie rabbit remover is too good. He is quite
willing to hand them over to me but many are not in a state to cook as they
have been overly punctured. The non punctured ones are inclined to squeal
but only until he starts to eat at the head. By that stage I just tell him
he's a good boy and leave him to it, we are both happy with the outcome, he
never leaves a mess, never leaves anything at all actually.

David

Old 09-03-2009, 11:41 PM posted to aus.gardens

jonno wrote:
Tom N wrote:

Found the story here... http://tinyurl.com/cma7q5
Old 10-03-2009, 02:43 AM posted to aus.gardens

On 09 Mar 2009 07:08:10 GMT, terryc
wrote:

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 17:43:14 +1100, FarmI wrote:

Dunno about that. I suspect farmed rabbits are the way to go.

Frankly, they are tasteless, require individual cages and then you have
to buy(expensive) or hand collect their feed.

If they ran like a flock of chooks, it would be easier, but you would
still need fences down 4' and over 6' high. The problem with a group of
rabbits is they take to fighting as they mature, both sexes, which ruins
the skins.

Do you eat their Skins ??

By the way, I used to have a mate whose family did exactly that....
ie.Farmed chickens.... Not so unusual.

Was done in big sheds just like chickens.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:47 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 22:54:33 GMT, jonno wrote:

BIG SNIP /

I saw a story in the local paper about a house dripping honey after a bees
nest in the ceiling melted in the heat.

Get this
"The damage was not covered by insurance because it was caused by an
insect rather than an animal."
Arent bees an animal? Of course they are.
Open to further comment...

Bet ya it was Commonwealth insurance!
Good people to do business with, until you make a claim.
Found the story here... http://preview.tinyurl.com/cma7q5

Why differentiate, those insurance mobs are all the same.

The insurance company probably just applied the 60% rule.

If the people keep fighting them, they will possibly win in the end.

Mind you, it takes an iron will to get them to pay when they should.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:06 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:
On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 22:54:33 GMT, jonno wrote:

BIG SNIP /

I saw a story in the local paper about a house dripping honey after a bees
nest in the ceiling melted in the heat.

Get this
"The damage was not covered by insurance because it was caused by an
insect rather than an animal."
Arent bees an animal? Of course they are.
Open to further comment...

Bet ya it was Commonwealth insurance!
Good people to do business with, until you make a claim.
Found the story here...
http://preview.tinyurl.com/cma7q5

Why differentiate, those insurance mobs are all the same.

The insurance company probably just applied the 60% rule.

If the people keep fighting them, they will possibly win in the end.

Mind you, it takes an iron will to get them to pay when they should.

They wouldnt have stood a chance with me...
I reckon theyre ignorant...thinking the public is...
Old 10-03-2009, 10:56 AM posted to aus.gardens

jonno wrote:

Tom N wrote:

I saw a story in the local paper about a house dripping honey after a
bees nest in the ceiling melted in the heat.

Get this
"The damage was not covered by insurance because it was caused by an
insect rather than an animal."
Arent bees an animal? Of course they are.
Open to further comment...

I'm pretty sure insurance wouldn't cover termite damage, so I wouldn't
expect it to cover bees, wasps, borers etc.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

Tom N wrote:
jonno wrote:

Tom N wrote:

I saw a story in the local paper about a house dripping honey after a
bees nest in the ceiling melted in the heat.

Get this
"The damage was not covered by insurance because it was caused by an
insect rather than an animal."
Arent bees an animal? Of course they are.
Open to further comment...

I'm pretty sure insurance wouldn't cover termite damage, so I wouldn't
expect it to cover bees, wasps, borers etc.

Youre probably correct, but it would seem to me the law would look at it
differently as the issue is "sudden" impact,which is weather, which was
weather related... So the bees weren't the immediate cause. A thin line
to draw on but tenable.