Old 10-03-2009, 10:31 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Tomatoes

SG1 wrote:
"jonno" wrote in message
Tom N wrote:
jonno wrote:

Tom N wrote:

I saw a story in the local paper about a house dripping honey after a
bees nest in the ceiling melted in the heat.
Get this
"The damage was not covered by insurance because it was caused by an
insect rather than an animal."
Arent bees an animal? Of course they are.
Open to further comment...
I'm pretty sure insurance wouldn't cover termite damage, so I wouldn't
expect it to cover bees, wasps, borers etc.

Youre probably correct, but it would seem to me the law would look at it
differently as the issue is "sudden" impact,which is weather, which was
weather related... So the bees weren't the immediate cause. A thin line to
draw on but tenable.

Home invasion????

Good one. The attack of the honey drippers?
Old 11-03-2009, 10:34 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:43:52 +0900, tony wrote:

Do you eat their Skins ??

AIUI the economics of rabbit farming also include selling their skins for
the hat trade. Last I heard, akubra wanted 100,000 skins a week for
making hats.

Fightng rabbits are loosing weight, not putting t n. their scars also get
infected and the rabbit dies.

If rabbits ever take up attacking humans, you would be wearing steel leg
guards.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:43 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

I don't have rabbits for long despite plenty in the district, good feed
and unfenced vege garden. The kelpie rabbit remover is too good. He is
quite willing to hand them over to me but many are not in a state to cook
as they have been overly punctured. The non punctured ones are inclined
to squeal but only until he starts to eat at the head. By that stage I
just tell him he's a good boy and leave him to it, we are both happy with
the outcome, he never leaves a mess, never leaves anything at all
actually.

LOL

This post brought to mind my own JRs. They like to play tug of war with
bunnies. I usually head in the other direction and at speed.

Old 13-03-2009, 03:49 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Rabbits [was Tomatoes]

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given writes:
wrote in message
On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 01:16:13 GMT, "0tterbot" wrote:

other than that we are having/have had
big problems with furry creatures & now the ****ing rabbits are back,

Ahhhh Free meat for the pot..... Yummmm !

Dunno about that. I suspect farmed rabbits are the way to go.

A Malcolm Douglas tv documentary last weekend had him visiting
an aboriginal community living a very basic hunter/gatherer
lifestyle in red desert country. This group are known as "the
lizard people" because of the heavy food reliance they have
traditionally made on the larger tree-climbing lizards.

However, of late there has been a new addition to their menu. Very
sweet and tasty, this delicacy has become their favoured meat and
these folk easily track its footprints in the soft red sand. They
have named this meat "pudee".

Finally someone has found a use for feral cats!!
Old 13-03-2009, 04:08 AM posted to aus.gardens

John Savage wrote:

A Malcolm Douglas tv documentary last weekend had him visiting
an aboriginal community living a very basic hunter/gatherer
lifestyle in red desert country. This group are known as "the
lizard people" because of the heavy food reliance they have
traditionally made on the larger tree-climbing lizards.

However, of late there has been a new addition to their menu. Very
sweet and tasty, this delicacy has become their favoured meat and
these folk easily track its footprints in the soft red sand. They
have named this meat "pudee".

Finally someone has found a use for feral cats!!

When we moved to the Territory 23 years ago, Aborigines in Barkly
communities were eating "puddy cats". The kids in my class said they
tasted better than kangaroo.
--
Anne Chambers
South Australia

anne dot chambers at bigpond dot com

Old 13-03-2009, 04:29 AM posted to aus.gardens

Anne Chambers wrote:
John Savage wrote:

A Malcolm Douglas tv documentary last weekend had him visiting
an aboriginal community living a very basic hunter/gatherer
lifestyle in red desert country. This group are known as "the
lizard people" because of the heavy food reliance they have
traditionally made on the larger tree-climbing lizards.

However, of late there has been a new addition to their menu. Very
sweet and tasty, this delicacy has become their favoured meat and
these folk easily track its footprints in the soft red sand. They
have named this meat "pudee".

Finally someone has found a use for feral cats!!

When we moved to the Territory 23 years ago, Aborigines in Barkly
communities were eating "puddy cats". The kids in my class said they
tasted better than kangaroo.

A stimulus package for aborigines?
Old 13-03-2009, 04:39 AM posted to aus.gardens

"John Savage" wrote in message

A Malcolm Douglas tv documentary last weekend had him visiting
an aboriginal community living a very basic hunter/gatherer
lifestyle in red desert country. This group are known as "the
lizard people" because of the heavy food reliance they have
traditionally made on the larger tree-climbing lizards.

However, of late there has been a new addition to their menu. Very
sweet and tasty, this delicacy has become their favoured meat and
these folk easily track its footprints in the soft red sand. They
have named this meat "pudee".

Finally someone has found a use for feral cats!!

When I was young, there was a Chinese restaurant in Canberra which had been
there for decades.

It was extremely popular way back then as it was one of the few places then
where a decent feed could be obtained for a moderate price and late into the
night.

It was done for Health offences when cat's heads were found in large
quantities in the bins used by the restaurant. The restaurant continued to
be just as popular after they were done for the cat's heads as it had been
before. I strongly suspect I too might have eaten cat.

Old 13-03-2009, 05:06 AM posted to aus.gardens

jonno wrote:
Anne Chambers wrote:
John Savage wrote:

A Malcolm Douglas tv documentary last weekend had him visiting
an aboriginal community living a very basic hunter/gatherer
lifestyle in red desert country. This group are known as "the
lizard people" because of the heavy food reliance they have
traditionally made on the larger tree-climbing lizards.

However, of late there has been a new addition to their menu. Very
sweet and tasty, this delicacy has become their favoured meat and
these folk easily track its footprints in the soft red sand. They
have named this meat "pudee".

Finally someone has found a use for feral cats!!

When we moved to the Territory 23 years ago, Aborigines in Barkly
communities were eating "puddy cats". The kids in my class said they
tasted better than kangaroo.

A stimulus package for aborigines?

I was a bit concerned about my domestic cats, but the kids assured me
they didn't taste nearly as nice as feral ones !

Old 13-03-2009, 08:02 AM posted to aus.gardens

[...]

Dim Sims. Have not been the same since?????

Old 14-03-2009, 08:01 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 03:49:30 +0000, John Savage wrote:

Finally someone has found a use for feral cats!!

Old news by about a century. When the old fellow died from the last free
living aboriginal group and the remainders decided to approach
civilisation in the 80's, they had been living on feral cats for decades.

Old 24-03-2009, 10:47 PM posted to aus.gardens

Have you tried makign fake ones out of an old 2 Litre milk container? Cut
them to shape of a CW in flight and put some black spots on them and then
put them on satay skewers near brassicas. I'm quite convinced that they
work to keep off the real CW flutterbys.

you'll never believe it but i haven't got round to that yet. :-/

also, the idea behind the cages was to keep out birds & mammals too. i have,
however, taken your "quite convinced" statement on board!!

other than that we are having/have had
big problems with furry creatures & now the ****ing rabbits are back,

No nearby Jack Russell to lend a hand? We've noticed the numbers of buns
had started building up here too but the 2 JRs are going off and spending
half an hour out of sight doing something. I suspect it might be a bit of
rabbit destruction as we se the odd bits of fur around and less signs of
live buns.

my dog has killed rabbits in the past, but frankly he's getting more & more
dim in his middle age & prefers lolling in the sun, dammit.

I guess I also couldn't be described as a fnatic about the stakign and
tieing up, but I don't mind the other care of them. Himself liked to do
the bondage thing to the toms.

after there are some veggie cages happening & all the other stuff i'm meant
to be doing, it might be worthwhile to make some mobile growing-up frames
for things like this, as i'm just not getting good pea crops along the
ground & i DO love peas! snow peas grow very well at my place, but the dwarf
ones along the ground just aren't cutting it imo.

in this same way, the very idea of growing fruit trees bores me to sobs.
if they go well on their own, that's great. otherwise, i just don't give
a shit, it's too much trouble. i thought i was interested in fruit like
i'm interested in veg, but apparently i was wrong.

Hmm. Interesting. In what way don't you like it? I get the same sort of
thrill from watching my trees as I do the veg. I like to see them respond
after pruning and when given food and water etc.

well, i don't really know, but there it is!! i'm just not that into them.
also, i'm not big on most kinds of fruit - i think that is the underlying
problem for me - i just don't care that much :-)) i really like berries
though, so can imagine taking the trouble. (also, significantly, berry
plants are _smaller_ than trees.) if i lived in the tropics i'd definitely
have bananas, cos i love those (and again, they're smaller).

Didn't notice any swearing. I just noticed technical descriptions
commonly used by gardeners.

ahem, that's right :-)

speaking of snakes, we had to kill a brown snake the other day - it had set
up shop just outside the yard, & i could foresee a snakebite waiting to
happen - it kept coming in for water presumably. it's really a shame as i
have no problem with snakes, but under the circumstances it was clear one of
us would end up in hospital at some stage if we didn't get rid of it. and it
seemed wildly absurd to get one of the wildlife people to try to relocate
it.
kylie

Old 25-03-2009, 10:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message

Have you tried makign fake ones out of an old 2 Litre milk container?
Cut them to shape of a CW in flight and put some black spots on them and
then put them on satay skewers near brassicas. I'm quite convinced that
they work to keep off the real CW flutterbys.

you'll never believe it but i haven't got round to that yet. :-/

Well we'll be into deep frosts at any moment and they'll not be a major
problem till next year, so no hurry.

also, the idea behind the cages was to keep out birds & mammals too. i
have, however, taken your "quite convinced" statement on board!!

:-)) But you do know of course about the placebo effect?

I was impressed, but then I was prepared to be. And I quite enjoyed cutting
out and colouring in the little fake cabbage moths.

other than that we are having/have had
big problems with furry creatures & now the ****ing rabbits are back,

No nearby Jack Russell to lend a hand?

my dog has killed rabbits in the past, but frankly he's getting more &
more dim in his middle age & prefers lolling in the sun, dammit.

:-)) My small *******s don't like going out into the midday sun, but
fortunatley that isn't when the bunnies are around so they still catch some.
But now we're ahving a bun discussion, I havent' seen one now for a few
weeks so keep your fingers crossed.

I guess I also couldn't be described as a fnatic about the stakign and
tieing up, but I don't mind the other care of them. Himself liked to do
the bondage thing to the toms.

after there are some veggie cages happening & all the other stuff i'm
meant to be doing, it might be worthwhile to make some mobile growing-up
frames for things like this, as i'm just not getting good pea crops along
the ground & i DO love peas! snow peas grow very well at my place, but the
dwarf ones along the ground just aren't cutting it imo.

My peas weren't very good this year either. Have decided to try some snow
peas but it's prolly getting a wee bit late for them here. But I won't know
till I give it a go - jhave cleared a spot for them.

[...]

I suppose I'm not really a huge fruit eater either but I still love growing
them. and I know wha tyou mean about berries - love all of them.

Didn't notice any swearing. I just noticed technical descriptions
commonly used by gardeners.

ahem, that's right :-)

speaking of snakes, we had to kill a brown snake the other day

Oh POOP! I thought there were only Red Bellied Blacks out there!

- it had set
up shop just outside the yard, & i could foresee a snakebite waiting to
happen - it kept coming in for water presumably. it's really a shame as i
have no problem with snakes, but under the circumstances it was clear one
of us would end up in hospital at some stage if we didn't get rid of it.
and it seemed wildly absurd to get one of the wildlife people to try to
relocate it.

And they won't come anyway unless you ring them on the mobile phone whilst
watching the snake and trailing after it. They insist on you being able to
show them exactly where it is the instant they arrive. They wont' tolerate
a vague "it went over there..." type comment.

Himself mowed up a huge one not so long ago - didn't even see it but I
assume it might have had a go at the mower given the location of the cut up
body. I can tolerate the Tiger Snakes but I really do not like Browns - too
edgy for my liking. Mind you, given how much the bloody dogs have cost in
treatment, I could have bought myself a .410 at least 4 times over by now.
Must put in my application to add one to my collection - I'm sick of saying
I'm going to get one.

Old 29-03-2009, 07:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

speaking of snakes, we had to kill a brown snake the other day

Oh POOP! I thought there were only Red Bellied Blacks out there!

well, there are definitely both. :-) there may not be any tigers, but then
again i've never seen one of those anyway so i have no idea!!! the majority
that i have physically seen with my own eyes (not many) are brown.

and it seemed wildly absurd to get one of the wildlife people to try to
relocate it.

And they won't come anyway unless you ring them on the mobile phone whilst
watching the snake and trailing after it. They insist on you being able
to show them exactly where it is the instant they arrive. They wont'
tolerate a vague "it went over there..." type comment.

well, i don't blame them there.

i felt fairly stupid indeed calling them to get a trapped injured black
snake, but for a brown snake there was just no chance at all :-)

Himself mowed up a huge one not so long ago - didn't even see it but I
assume it might have had a go at the mower given the location of the cut
up body. I can tolerate the Tiger Snakes but I really do not like
Browns - too edgy for my liking. Mind you, given how much the bloody dogs
have cost in treatment, I could have bought myself a .410 at least 4 times
over by now. Must put in my application to add one to my collection - I'm
sick of saying I'm going to get one.

er, to shoot the dog with the next time it gets bitten...? ;-D
kylie