Old 02-03-2009, 11:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Tomatoes

What's happening with tomatoes around the country?

We've had limited numbers of decent ones ripening and tis seems to be common
according to what others I've spoken to locally have said.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:03 PM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
What's happening with tomatoes around the country?

We've had limited numbers of decent ones ripening and tis seems to be
common according to what others I've spoken to locally have said.

Same here, poor fruit setting, poor ripening. I have no clear idea except
it may have been too hot until recently for good pollination.

David

Old 02-03-2009, 02:51 PM posted to aus.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
FarmI wrote:
What's happening with tomatoes around the country?

We've had limited numbers of decent ones ripening and tis seems to be
common according to what others I've spoken to locally have said.

Same here, poor fruit setting, poor ripening. I have no clear idea
except it may have been too hot until recently for good pollination.

David

For some reason, I've had some good tomatoes in Melbourne, but the
weather has been very hot.
Cucumbers? Forget it they're behind and haven't pollinated properly the
last few weeks.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:05 AM posted to aus.gardens

Here's a fine example of what i'm getting... http://tinyurl.com/cugv54
Old 03-03-2009, 04:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

Hi Farm1,
it's been a disaster season here in the Dandenongs east of Melbourne for
tomatoes. Early on we had a plague of aphids sucking the life out of
everything green. Applications of white oil hardly made a dent in their
attack. Then we had practically no rain and weren't allowed to water them
more than twice a week. The white oil residue nearly suffocated the plants
and it was only the new growth that kept the plants going. The old leaves
died and had to be cut off. Once the aphids died out later in the summer the
new growth managed to get ahead and flower. I have had less than 5% of the
harvest that I had last year. The one redeeming feature is that the tomatoes
that have ripened so far have few seeds and liquid but have more than 90%
flesh. They are the best flavoured tomatoes that I have ever had. If only I
had enough extra to put into the dehydrator....
Regards,
Ed.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:00 AM posted to aus.gardens

In south-east Victoria they were slow to start (we had them in late
too). Then there was a bit of wilt/dieback.

However the Romas have come through that well, and have one of the
best crops for years. The Grosse Lisse are but a shadow of previous
years.

We trialled Amish Paste and Earliest of All - and will try them again
next year, although they have not been brilliant in the conditions.
The Amish Paste look promising.

I checked my records - we made our last sauce last year on 28 March,
so they still have plenty of time to ripen.

Cheers

LindaB
Old 03-03-2009, 09:16 AM posted to aus.gardens

jonno wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
FarmI wrote:
What's happening with tomatoes around the country?

We've had limited numbers of decent ones ripening and tis seems to be
common according to what others I've spoken to locally have said.

Same here, poor fruit setting, poor ripening. I have no clear idea

except it may have been too hot until recently for good pollination.

David

For some reason, I've had some good tomatoes in Melbourne, but the
weather has been very hot.
Cucumbers? Forget it they're behind and haven't pollinated
Here's a fine example of what i'm getting... http://tinyurl.com/cugv54

Mine are just ripening now (I'm in SA, just over the Vic border in the
SE) - they are a good size and there are plenty of them. I've got bore
water so have been watering them well.

I got one cucumber but the usual glut of zucchinis, pumpkin and squash.

--
Anne Chambers
South Australia

anne dot chambers at bigpond dot com
Old 03-03-2009, 09:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

Should also have said - the cucumber bushes don't look much, but the
crop has been about equal to previous years - just a bit slow off the
mark.

Linda
south-east Victoria
Old 03-03-2009, 11:38 AM posted to aus.gardens

LindaB wrote:
Should also have said - the cucumber bushes don't look much, but the
crop has been about equal to previous years - just a bit slow off the
mark.

Linda
south-east Victoria

The weather is probably too hot fot the bees and pollination, but the
flowers have not appeared either so its just too damn hot...
Old 03-03-2009, 11:28 PM posted to aus.gardens

What's happening with tomatoes around the country?

We've had limited numbers of decent ones ripening and tis seems to be
common according to what others I've spoken to locally have said.

i'd agree with that, & my tomatoes are shite too! even the ever-reliable
cherry varieties just aren't ripening (we've had a grand total of SEVEN
cherry toms & that is all). the romas this year are just a dud - i've
stopped watering them & lost all hope for them this year. tomatoes give me
the shits anyway, i don't know why i bother.

my cucurbits have been truly awful (& have friends saying the same about
that as well). we finally have a few cucumbers happening at long last, but
NO pumpkin, potimarron, spaghetti squash etc AT ALL, and, (wait for it!)
only two zucchini so far!!!!!!!!! this is unheard of!!!!!!!! i haven't seen
much bee activity for quite a while & i wonder what is going on there.
we've had bees out the wazoo all year round since we came, but not lately.

at my house, it's just been an awful season - too cool to start with, then
an unbelievable heatwave, now it's been too cool again & at no stage has
there been enough rain. hopeless. my basil this year has been all right
though for the first time ever (probably because i stopped trying to
companion plant with tomatoes). then again, the carrots have been very good
as well - i seem to have conquered my carrot problems!
kylie

Old 04-03-2009, 12:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
[...]

I have a late planted Qld blue in the front (flower) garden where the
jalapenos & Cayennes are doing great. So far the only fruit is 1 metre off
the ground where the plant got airborne over the resident native tree
(mental blank as to what it is). The capsicums in the back yard are being
prolific, and the now dead cucumbers went beserk with fruit.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:26 AM posted to aus.gardens

Yep, the pumpkins are late, and peppers are going great now the weather
is a little cooler here in Melbourne. But its a day to day thing with
hot spurts in between. N. B. wonder vegetables are confused...

Time to put in winter seedlings? I reckon so....

Old 05-03-2009, 02:28 PM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:

i haven't seen much bee activity for quite a while & i
wonder what is going on there. we've had bees out the wazoo all year
round since we came, but not lately.

I haven't been seeing many bees lately either (Melbourne). Half of those I
see are blue-banded bees (native) rather than introduced bees (which is
what we normally see). Blue-banded bees have been rare in the past. Many
of the introduced bees I see are crawling on the ground like they are
dying.

Our tomatoes have been shite (2 types of cherry and 1 roma). Fungal
problems early on, lots of flowers, not many leaves, hardly any fruit.
Tank water so no problem there.

We had plenty of nectarines so the bees must have been active in spring.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:43 PM posted to aus.gardens

Tom N wrote:
0tterbot wrote:

i haven't seen much bee activity for quite a while & i
wonder what is going on there. we've had bees out the wazoo all year
round since we came, but not lately.

I haven't been seeing many bees lately either (Melbourne). Half of those I
see are blue-banded bees (native) rather than introduced bees (which is
what we normally see). Blue-banded bees have been rare in the past. Many
of the introduced bees I see are crawling on the ground like they are
dying.

Our tomatoes have been shite (2 types of cherry and 1 roma). Fungal
problems early on, lots of flowers, not many leaves, hardly any fruit.
Tank water so no problem there.

We had plenty of nectarines so the bees must have been active in spring.

Same here. Blue banded bees, are seen but the lavender, which usually
attracts all bees are only visited by blue banded bees (never noticed
b4) and are unfortunately seasonal types. The introduced species are
missing completely in the northern suburbs of Melbourne for sure, or at
least diminished. I wondered why I couldnt see the little beggars
earlier this year, thinking I may have killed them using dusting powder....

Wonder what might be going on...