Old 13-03-2009, 11:19 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Snakes

a_nonny_mouse wrote:
FarmI wrote:
"phil..c" wrote in message
wrote:
On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 10:15:00 +1100, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

Are there any amateur herpitologists reading here?

Yesterday just after having spent hours working in a particular
spot, I saw a Tiger Snake there. When I told my husband he said,
"But he's such a friendly snake". (And to think I've been
married to this goose of a man for nearly 40 years!)

Anyway, I was telling a neighbour this tale of husband silliness
and they said that snakes are cranky at the moment as it's breeding
season. My response was that I thought they bred earlier in the
season. Neighbour then said that it could be that they are shedding
their skins now and that is why they are cranky. I checked with a
friend whose son has pythons and she said they do get cranky when
they shed their skins and that she once had to help to wrestle a
snake into a bathtub to aid it when it failed to shed as it should
and it got super cranky.

The sum total of this all these exchanges made me realise that
although I frequently see snakes, I don't know lot about them. I
know a fair amount about the birds and other animals aroudn here
but not snakes.

Does anyone know anythign about the life cycle of snakes? Or a
good book on the subject?

It'll probably be one with "SNAKES" in the title.... (:-))
also would have been helpful if you informed us where *here* is

If anyone reading my post is too stupid to figure out that since I'm
asking a question about snakes in the Australian garden group and so
must be interested in Australian snakes then they are clearly too
stupid to give a cogent response.

With due respect, that was an uncalled for response!
At last look, Australia was a land of some 3000km by 2700 km (I won't
argue discrepancies in these figures)
And! there were different species of animals and reptiles in different
areas.
Methinks the responders question was quite reasonable and definitely did
not deserve such a reply from OP. In my opinion the only one who could
be considered stupid would be .... well I'll leave that open to
interpretation ;-0

annonnymouse

She's only rational when the full moon phase goes away
Its a wonder sometimes that she gets a reponse...
Thats only my opinion of course. As a male I shouldnt have one according
to one who married a goose. Geese are good with snakes as a rule.
Old 15-03-2009, 03:06 AM posted to aus.gardens

a_nonny_mouse wrote:

It'll probably be one with "SNAKES" in the title.... (:-))
also would have been helpful if you informed us where *here* is

If anyone reading my post is too stupid to figure out that since I'm
asking a question about snakes in the Australian garden group and so
must be interested in Australian snakes then they are clearly too
stupid to give a cogent response.

With due respect, that was an uncalled for response!

It was rather grumpy

At last look, Australia was a land of some 3000km by 2700 km (I won't
argue discrepancies in these figures)
And! there were different species of animals and reptiles in different
areas.

That's true but I think the question was starting with a generalisation
about info on any snakes of the continent, if their behaviour was greatly
different it could come out in the detail

Methinks the responders question was quite reasonable and definitely
did not deserve such a reply from OP.

There was fault on both sides.

In my opinion the only one who
could be considered stupid would be .... well I'll leave that open
to interpretation ;-0

annonnymouse

Like the many thousands of usenet posters from the USA who never identify
which continent they are on because there is only one that matters. And who
get confused by it being hot in January in some parts of the world and who
want to argue that the sunny side of the garden is the south because
anything else is so counter-intuitive. For quite a while there were
wikipedia articles that gave planting instructions in months of the year, ie
plant out your eggplant in April-May rather than in spring after the last
frost.

I am not saying one lot of parochialism excuses another but that the world
would be better with less than the current plethora.

David

Old 15-03-2009, 06:24 AM posted to aus.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:

snip

I am not saying one lot of parochialism excuses another but that the
world would be better with less than the current plethora.

David

Fair - and balanced - comment.
We all, at times, tend to over-react :-)

annonnymouse
Old 15-03-2009, 11:04 PM posted to aus.gardens

a_nonny_mouse wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:

snip

I am not saying one lot of parochialism excuses another but that the
world would be better with less than the current plethora.

David

Fair - and balanced - comment.
We all, at times, tend to over-react :-)

annonnymouse

Its rathe r funny that she is married t oa goose of a man.
She should know this, geese are rather good with snakes....as a rule...
Old 18-03-2009, 07:35 AM posted to aus.gardens

"a_nonny_mouse" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
wrote:

[...]

You don't mean any "due respect" at all, so cut the hypocricy given what you
go on to say in the last line of your post.

At last look, Australia was a land of some 3000km by 2700 km (I won't
argue discrepancies in these figures)
And! there were different species of animals and reptiles in different
areas.
Methinks the responders question was quite reasonable and definitely did
not deserve such a reply from OP. In my opinion the only one who could be
considered stupid would be .... well I'll leave that open to
interpretation ;-0

Try rereading what I wrote in my original post.

I wrote about seeing a Tiger Snake.

THAT tells my location to anyone who knows anything about snakes.

Or didn't you notice that I was asking for a response from someone who
actually either knew something about snakes or books on snakes?

Old 18-03-2009, 07:39 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

I am not saying one lot of parochialism excuses another but that the world
would be better with less than the current plethora.

Parochial????

Is this not a group that specifically relates to Australian gardens?

Old 18-03-2009, 01:39 PM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
wrote:

Are there any amateur herpitologists reading here?

Yesterday just after having spent hours working in a particular spot,
I saw a Tiger Snake there. When I told my husband he said, "But he's
such a friendly snake".

grin A sense of humour ;-)

[...]

Well ... I did actually
But I am not one to contradict a lady ;-P

At last look, Australia was a land of some 3000km by 2700 km (I won't
argue discrepancies in these figures)

Should have read in "miles", not "kms"
Old age confusion.

And! there were different species of animals and reptiles in different
areas.
Methinks the responders question was quite reasonable and definitely did
not deserve such a reply from OP. In my opinion the only one who could be
considered stupid would be .... well I'll leave that open to
interpretation ;-0

Yep, as you surmise!
Last line means I was open to a question of being stupid for buying into
this one
How did you read it?

Try rereading what I wrote in my original post.

I did; several times before responding!
Was not sure if your were "taking the mickey"

I wrote about seeing a Tiger Snake.

Yep - coastal Australia
Somewhere between Brisbane and north of Perth - some 3000 miles direct
(Perth-Brisbane) or whatever you wish to measure it as around the coast.

THAT tells my location to anyone who knows anything about snakes.

You are correct; your enquiry pinpoints your location ;-)
I live in an area reknown for Tiger snakes.

Yep; I shot one on my back verandah
Was hiding under a child's toy car!

Therefore you are located in Western Australia!
Somewhere from the mid-west down to the south west.

Or didn't you notice that I was asking for a response from someone who
actually either knew something about snakes or books on snakes?

Google is your friend ;-)
eg tiger snake location

"The common tiger snake is found in southern and eastern Australia. They
are usually around a metre long, and have a striped marking (hence the
name Tiger Snake). This is not always the case however, as the markings
can change due to the seasons and the age of the snake. They can grow up
to 1.5 metres in length.

These are venomous snakes, and will attack if they are disturbed or
threatened. Otherwise, they can live quietly. They are also often
territorial, and will live in the same area for years. They are also
found in suburban areas, even in the newer suburbs.

One elderly women was bitten by a tiger snake while she pruned the ivy
on her fence, in Kew (an inner suburb of Melbourne, in 2003). Death
resulted from this bite. However this is quite rare these days, as anti
venene is readily available.

These snakes feed on all types of creatures, they happily feed on frogs,
fish, small birds and other small mammals. They also eat other reptiles
such as lizards.

Tiger Snake related websites: "
==================
OR (from the same enquiry):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_snake

and surprise!!
"Habitat

Tiger snakes are found in coastal environments, wetlands, and creeks
where they often form territories. Areas with an abundance of prey, such
as frogs, can support large populations. The species' distribution
extends from the south of Western Australia through to South Australia,
Tasmania, up through Victoria, and New South Wales. Its common habitat
includes the coastal areas of Australia."
================
AND on BREEDING (from Google):

tiger snake breeding

"Breeding

Sexual actvity is sporadic throughout summer and reaches a peak in late
January and February. Mating may last for up to 7 hours, the female
occasionally dragging the male about. Males don't eat during periods of
sexual activity. Females stop eating 3-4 weeks before giving birth.
Female litter sizes have been recorded as high as 126 young, and litter
size is often related to female body size. Tiger snakes from small
islands produce fewer, larger young. Baby tiger snakes when born are 215
- 270 mm in length. Females produce young at best every second year.
There is no maternal care amongst Tiger snakes. Tiger snakes do not
become more aggressive during the breeding season, but a male snake
tracking a female may well have his mind on other things and may be more
easily surprised or be in an unfamiliar environment. He may consequently
be more nervous if disturbed."
==============

Trust this helps in answering your question and meets your needs?
Apologies! did not mean to upset you.

annonnymouse

PS: apologies also to jonno. Did not pick up on the "goose" aspect and
did not set out to cause a ruckus! (or stir the family pot)

Old 18-03-2009, 11:34 PM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
wrote:

[...]

As with most things "computer" and communication, one must be patient,
lest one upsets those who are not so gifted in patience.
I take the mickey out of anyone and anything, after all, were a long
time dead, and we should have some fun.
Geese (or is it gooses) are usually good with snakes..
Ya should let the "goose of a man" take it out with a shotty...
While I like some of the do gooders attitude,in letting them, live,
theyre bit of a danger around the house, and man is the natural enemy of
the snake. So be it.
As far as tracing a snake and its families personal habits, thats going
a bit far...

Lets all close the subject.
Old 19-03-2009, 12:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 23:34:12 GMT, jonno wrote:

FarmI wrote:
wrote:

[...]

But, but first lets not forget that Tiger snakes "can" be very
aggressive and dangerous.....

Old 19-03-2009, 02:11 AM posted to aus.gardens

NWF (Dont ask)

Lets all close the subject.

Aawww! But yes, seems fair and sensible, provided the questions have
been answered satisfactorily.

keep smiling
annonnymouse

Old 19-03-2009, 02:51 AM posted to aus.gardens

jonno wrote:
a_nonny_mouse wrote:

snip snake related info

PS: apologies also to jonno. Did not pick up on the "goose" aspect
and did not set out to cause a ruckus! (or stir the family pot)

As with most things "computer" and communication, one must be patient,
lest one upsets those who are not so gifted in patience.

Too true. Used to be very patient. Guess in getting old, there is less
time in which to be patient. That's my story and I'm sticking to it ;-P

I take the mickey out of anyone and anything, after all, we're a long
time dead, and we should have some fun.

Yep; a smile a day keeps the doctor away; or perhaps at least, at bay.

Geese (or is it gooses) are usually good with snakes..

So I've heard. No personal experience. I have also heard they are good
with roast vegetables.

Ya should let the "goose of a man" take it out with a shotty...

I dooded that as previously stated. A nice little orchard gun (.410)
took care of the problem. Others were just chased off the property.
Did not have any choice, not being one to get up close and personal
with wire, shovel or hose pipe. Do you know how long it takes to find
the keys, unlock the gun cabinet, take out the firearm, unlock to
ammunition locker, take out a packet of shells, load the weapon and make
haste to the last known location of the intruder?

While I like some of the do gooders attitude,in letting them, live,
they're bit of a danger around the house, and man is the natural enemy of
the snake. So be it.

I try to do gooder; I no longer attempt to run over a snake on the road.
If they keep their distance, I keep mine. However snake(s) are one
thing which send chills up my spine; as one would expect of a good
little mouse.

As far as tracing a snake and its families personal habits, thats going
a bit far...

Intrusion on the family life you think? Not enough respect for privacy?

Old 19-03-2009, 12:15 PM posted to aus.gardens

While I like some of the do gooders attitude,in letting them, live,
they're bit of a danger around the house, and man is the natural enemy
of the snake. So be it.

I try to do gooder; I no longer attempt to run over a snake on the road.

Heck that could be the reason so many car accidents happen in the
country roads snakes playing chicken with cars.... snakes winning....
Youve heard of vindscreen vipers...

Old 20-03-2009, 04:55 AM posted to aus.gardens

jonno wrote:

While I like some of the do gooders attitude,in letting them, live,
they're bit of a danger around the house, and man is the natural
enemy of the snake. So be it.

I try to do gooder; I no longer attempt to run over a snake on the road.

Heck that could be the reason so many car accidents happen in the
country roads snakes playing chicken with cars.... snakes winning....

Youve heard of vindscreen vipers...

chuckle
stumped!
speechless!
gotta pay that one for the day!

snip

annonnymouse
(still chuckling)
Old 20-03-2009, 05:08 AM posted to aus.gardens

jonno wrote:
NWF (Dont ask)

Why not (ask, that is)?

(quizzical look)