Old 19-03-2009, 02:10 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default drowning weeds

Are all weed and garden trimmings suitable for the drowning method to
produce a liquid fertilizer.
I have chopped up all my tomato plants and stuck them in a bucket of water -
it looks good but does pong.
Is there anything that can't be treated this way?

--
faeychild
Old 19-03-2009, 03:14 AM posted to aus.gardens

faeychild wrote:
Are all weed and garden trimmings suitable for the drowning method to
produce a liquid fertilizer.
I have chopped up all my tomato plants and stuck them in a bucket of water -
it looks good but does pong.
Is there anything that can't be treated this way?

Wood probably. But youre asking for flies,and other nasties and breeding
soil borne disease carrying bacteria perhaps.
I would prefer to bury it....It composts naturally then.
Old 19-03-2009, 03:34 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:10:09 +1100, faeychild wrote:

Are all weed and garden trimmings suitable for the drowning method to
produce a liquid fertilizer.

The idea of liquid fertiliser was that the plant(s) that went into the
water were known to concentrate certain elements/compunds.

OTOH, other plants, e.g. tobacco, are known to concentrate certain
compounds that can kill bugs.

I have chopped up all my tomato plants and stuck them in a bucket of
water - it looks good but does pong.

Is there anything that can't be treated this way?

I guess not, but see above for final use/purpose.

Old 19-03-2009, 06:40 PM posted to aus.gardens

yep you can use any green material.

it does need a good stir a couple of times a day to keep the stench
down, or buy one of those fish tank aeraters a small one and have that
running.

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:10:09 +1100, faeychild
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 20-03-2009, 02:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

jonno wrote:

faeychild wrote:
Are all weed and garden trimmings suitable for the drowning method to
produce a liquid fertilizer.
I have chopped up all my tomato plants and stuck them in a bucket of
water - it looks good but does pong.
Is there anything that can't be treated this way?

Wood probably. But youre asking for flies,and other nasties and breeding
soil borne disease carrying bacteria perhaps.
I would prefer to bury it....It composts naturally then.

Actually I never though of wood WOOD. I was considering only softer fleshed
plant material

--
faeychild

Old 22-03-2009, 01:50 PM posted to aus.gardens

faeychild wrote:
jonno wrote:

faeychild wrote:
Are all weed and garden trimmings suitable for the drowning method to
produce a liquid fertilizer.
I have chopped up all my tomato plants and stuck them in a bucket of
water - it looks good but does pong.
Is there anything that can't be treated this way?

Wood probably. But youre asking for flies,and other nasties and breeding
soil borne disease carrying bacteria perhaps.
I would prefer to bury it....It composts naturally then.

Actually I never though of wood WOOD. I was considering only softer fleshed
plant material

You asked...I answered. Wood decomposes better in damp conditions...
Its marvelous how different fungi work...

I need advice on this difficulty. Weeds weeds weeds. Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 12 18-07-2005 10:45 PM
Drowning houseplant bob Gardening 15 03-07-2004 02:02 AM
Wine veevil drowning Annabel United Kingdom 17 21-09-2003 01:42 AM
Drowning owls David Hartley United Kingdom 13 03-06-2003 01:32 AM
Weeds...Weeds...Weeds J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 4 15-03-2003 12:09 AM