Old 10-04-2009, 11:54 AM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

Default Growing vegies Melbourne

Hi,

I'm looking for something else to grow in my garden during autumn... any
ideas? I was thinking stuff like herbs or small fruit plants.

Usually I grow roses. But an amazing thing happened in my garden during
Summer - somehow a wild tomato plant grew up in my backyard flower bed.
Right smack in the middle. I didn't take care of it - but it somehow
survived the hot summer and is producing an abudance of fruit. I count about
23 tomatoes.

Its coming to Winter and as expected its slowly dying off. But it should
survive for another month or so. Wow, thank God for small blessings. Anyway
its given me a bit of joy and I'm looking to grow a few other things.

Any suggestions?

Old 10-04-2009, 01:35 PM posted to aus.gardens

Hi There,

There is a useful planting guide at

http://www.edenseeds.com.au/content/planting.asp

We're only a few kilometres from Melbourne, and have similar
conditions (although I can even think of a bit of vaiation in
Melbourne).

We are basically putting in Broad Beans, Peas, Snow Peas, Carrots and
Onions. It is usually the time for cabbage, cauli and broccoli, but I
don't like them, as they always seem to get aphids.

Of them, probably snow peas are the easist - just make a tripod of
three garden stakes tied together, and they go happily up with the
help of a few bits of string. Or get a bit of light wire trellis and
put it up with a few garden stakes.

There is nothing in this world better than eating fresh snow peas
straight off the vine.

Cheers

LindaB

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 20:54:00 +1000, "YMC"
wrote:

Any suggestions?

Old 11-04-2009, 12:36 AM posted to aus.gardens

YMC wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for something else to grow in my garden during autumn...
any ideas? I was thinking stuff like herbs or small fruit plants.

Usually I grow roses. But an amazing thing happened in my garden
during Summer - somehow a wild tomato plant grew up in my backyard
flower bed. Right smack in the middle. I didn't take care of it - but
it somehow survived the hot summer and is producing an abudance of
fruit. I count about 23 tomatoes.

Its coming to Winter and as expected its slowly dying off. But it
should survive for another month or so. Wow, thank God for small
blessings. Anyway its given me a bit of joy and I'm looking to grow a
few other things.
Any suggestions?

These all prefer full sun and require at least part sun. Silverbeet,
spinach and lettuce are pretty easy and don't take up much space. Also
climbing peas can run up a fence (facing north) or a trellis and not take
much room. If you want to get more adventurous and use more area then
brassicas; cabbage, cauliflower, brocolli, sprouts, etc.

Most of the vegetables that have edible fruit are summer season in
Melbourne. What do you mean by "small fruit plants"?

David

Old 11-04-2009, 12:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

YMC wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for something else to grow in my garden during autumn... any
ideas? I was thinking stuff like herbs or small fruit plants.

Usually I grow roses. But an amazing thing happened in my garden during
Summer - somehow a wild tomato plant grew up in my backyard flower bed.
Right smack in the middle. I didn't take care of it - but it somehow
survived the hot summer and is producing an abudance of fruit. I count about
23 tomatoes.

Its coming to Winter and as expected its slowly dying off. But it should
survive for another month or so. Wow, thank God for small blessings. Anyway
its given me a bit of joy and I'm looking to grow a few other things.

Any suggestions?

I'm just over the border in SA so our growing seasons are similar.
Hardy herbs such as sage, thyme, oregano & marjoram will survive the winter and keep going for years if they
are cut back after flowering - they look good in around roses too.

--
Anne Chambers
South Australia

anne dot chambers at bigpond dot com
Old 11-04-2009, 01:48 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 09:36:43 +1000, David Hare-Scott wrote:

Most of the vegetables that have edible fruit are summer season in
Melbourne. What do you mean by "small fruit plants"?

Chillies?. sigh, tey are the only "fruit" we can successfully grow.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:58 AM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Most of the vegetables that have edible fruit are summer season in
Melbourne. What do you mean by "small fruit plants"?

David

Something similar to tomatoes... Chilli plants do they grow well in our
winter?

Old 11-04-2009, 08:59 AM posted to aus.gardens

YMC wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Most of the vegetables that have edible fruit are summer season in
Melbourne. What do you mean by "small fruit plants"?

David

Something similar to tomatoes... Chilli plants do they grow well in
our winter?

Tomatos like it fairly warm, eggplant and chillis like it hot. None will do
well in Melbourne's winter, they are likely to die.

David

Old 13-04-2009, 02:02 AM posted to aus.gardens

"YMC" wrote in message
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Most of the vegetables that have edible fruit are summer season in
Melbourne. What do you mean by "small fruit plants"?

David

Something similar to tomatoes... Chilli plants do they grow well in our
winter?

they won't, but tomatilloes &/or ground cherries might. (although they'd
prefer it was summer).
kylie

Old 13-04-2009, 03:01 AM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:
"YMC" wrote in message
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Most of the vegetables that have edible fruit are summer season in
Melbourne. What do you mean by "small fruit plants"?

David

Something similar to tomatoes... Chilli plants do they grow well in our
winter?

they won't, but tomatilloes &/or ground cherries might. (although they'd
prefer it was summer).
kylie

If you can find a wall which gets northerly sun, you may let them over
winter ready for the next season, like I found this year.
That plant is still producing after last year. Also covering them is
helpfull if frost is expected.....
Some of my tomatoes struggled on, as well, but only some lanky cherry
ones survived.
Old 13-04-2009, 03:18 AM posted to aus.gardens

LindaB wrote:
Hi There,

There is a useful planting guide at

http://www.edenseeds.com.au/content/planting.asp

We're only a few kilometres from Melbourne, and have similar
conditions (although I can even think of a bit of vaiation in
Melbourne).

We are basically putting in Broad Beans, Peas, Snow Peas, Carrots and
Onions. It is usually the time for cabbage, cauli and broccoli, but I
don't like them, as they always seem to get aphids.

Try the usual, that is the all natural Dipel.
Here are the instructions for successfully growing these.

"There are many types of caterpillars which are usually the larval
(caterpillar of a grub) stage of moths such as cabbage moth (Plutella
xylostella)and small cabbage white butterfly (Pieris rapae). Cabbage
white butterfly is white with distinct black spots on the wings and is
around 40mm across. The cabbage moth is greyish and small and is around
10mm across. The moths and butterflies lay their eggs on the underside
of leaves. The larvae of caterpillars hatch from the eggs and then feed
on the leaves or fruit, so it’s the caterpillar of the cabbage white
butterfly or cabbage moth which does the damage. The blue-green smooth
textured caterpillar is that of the cabbage white butterfly, while the
caterpillar which is green-brown is that of the cabbage moth. They both
start eating the outer leaves before moving to the inner heart of the
cabbage. It is a good idea to try and either pick off the caterpillars
or spray them when they are still on the outside of the leaf, before
they tunnel into the heart. Plants favoured by cabbage moth and cabbage
white butterfly include cabbage, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, Chinese
cabbage, celery, beetroot, rocket and watercress."

The "aphids" I reckon would be the caterpillar eggs hatching...
No problems growing any if a regular "warmer days" spraying of Dipel is
done, or whenever you see any white cabbage moths flying around. Theyre
the menace.
BTW you will usually not see them till its too late, so spraying, while
it may seem to be distatefull is the only way
Buy seedlings at the local market or nursery now, as seeds may not take
in time for winter, unless youre very lucky.

Of them, probably snow peas are the easist - just make a tripod of
three garden stakes tied together, and they go happily up with the
help of a few bits of string. Or get a bit of light wire trellis and
put it up with a few garden stakes.

There is nothing in this world better than eating fresh snow peas
straight off the vine.

Cheers

LindaB

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 20:54:00 +1000, "YMC"
wrote:

Any suggestions?

Old 13-04-2009, 03:41 AM posted to aus.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
YMC wrote:
[...]

Here is a good book on brassicas...You can just download it, edit cut
and paste.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/19006/19006-8.txt
Old 15-04-2009, 11:21 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Aphids and catapillars

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 02:18:08 GMT, Jonno
wrote:

snip

We tend to use manual methods on the catapillars (pull off and jump on
them), failing that one Pyrethrum seems to do it very effectively.

The manual method only works on one or two plants though - hopeless on
multiples.

The "aphids" I reckon would be the caterpillar eggs hatching...
No problems growing any if a regular "warmer days" spraying of Dipel is
done, or whenever you see any white cabbage moths flying around. Theyre
the menace.
BTW you will usually not see them till its too late, so spraying, while
it may seem to be distatefull is the only way

Umm, I assure you, these are aphids, not catapillars. The ones on the
brassicas / corn are blue/green to black, on the corn they are even
farmed by ants.

Happy to post photographs of them on the corn - it is awful. If I had
the time, they would get a ruddy good application of soapy water.

LindaB
Old 15-04-2009, 11:39 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Havent seen them locally funny enough.
Dipel seems to work on all perhaps...
Old 15-04-2009, 12:45 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:39:01 GMT, Jonno
wrote:

Havent seen them locally funny enough.
Dipel seems to work on all perhaps...

Look a bit like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82708250@N00/2752242602/

My mother was turned off brussels sprouts for life by her mother
serving them boiled, with aphids. Yuck!

LindaB
Old 15-04-2009, 07:01 PM posted to aus.gardens

with caterpillars/grubs ti is the hand pick safari bright and early
each morning best results are after they first hatch when they are
huddled together we remove that leaf or leaf section and relegate that
to the bib or the middle of the lawn if the mornng is going to be hot.

the only other protection is to cover plants with mossy net.

the aohids are harvested by the ants, they can be dislodged by
spraying with water from the garden hose and a fine spray not a jet,
then yo need to stop the ants or move them on, we have some ant
remedies on our remedies page.

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev