Old 11-04-2009, 07:04 AM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

Default Killing kikuyu grass - fruit tree ok.

Hi,

Just wanted to let the group know about my attempt to kill kikuyu grass in
my backyard.

I used roundup and zero concentrate - mixed with water of course with the
proper ratio (I forget what it is now... something like 15ml for 5 litres of
water.

I think I gave it a good spray twice about 2 -3 months back followed by
another repeat spray shortly after. It was Summer and it was pretty hot. I
think the Kikuyu drank it up like a glutton.

Well - I've been away since Feb - just got back. And virtually all the
kikuyu are dead - except for a few loose ends on the perimeter of the lawn
near the flower beds. The two small young fruit trees that are in the middle
of the lawn are fine.

I'll see whether some of them resurect next Summer. But I doubt it.

Old 19-04-2009, 04:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

YMC wrote:
Hi,

Just wanted to let the group know about my attempt to kill kikuyu grass in
my backyard.

I used roundup and zero concentrate - mixed with water of course with the
proper ratio (I forget what it is now... something like 15ml for 5 litres of
water.

I think I gave it a good spray twice about 2 -3 months back followed by
another repeat spray shortly after. It was Summer and it was pretty hot. I
think the Kikuyu drank it up like a glutton.

Well - I've been away since Feb - just got back. And virtually all the
kikuyu are dead - except for a few loose ends on the perimeter of the lawn
near the flower beds. The two small young fruit trees that are in the middle
of the lawn are fine.

I'll see whether some of them resurect next Summer. But I doubt it.

Thanks for letting us know the good news

May I suggest hit the loose ends if not many again with the round up or
just boiling water .
Old 19-04-2009, 05:12 PM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

"phil..c" wrote in message
Thanks for letting us know the good news

May I suggest hit the loose ends if not many again with the round up or
just boiling water .

Frankly I was amazed with the results myself.

The extremely hot weather - 47C - was also probably a contributing factor -
that kikuyu grass had been in that lawn for over 10 years now and had grown
very deep into the ground. Maybe over a metre deep.

Now all dead Thank God.

Old 20-04-2009, 02:01 AM posted to aus.gardens

YMC wrote:
"phil..c" wrote in message
Thanks for letting us know the good news

May I suggest hit the loose ends if not many again with the round up or
just boiling water .

Frankly I was amazed with the results myself.

The extremely hot weather - 47C - was also probably a contributing factor -
that Kikuyu grass had been in that lawn for over 10 years now and had grown
very deep into the ground. Maybe over a metre deep.

Now all dead Thank God.

You mean thank "roundup"
BTW Kikuyu, its very sneaky and will play dead at times.
Then return like McArthur...
Being seasonal it "could" recover.
I found this. I find it hard to believe in "spores" but its open to
comment... Best of luck Let us know in a few months time. I hope its
dead, and not playing dead..

"There is a problem with kikuyu
re-germinating. You cannot see the seeds. They are actually in the form of a
spore. A bit like the spore of fungi. Maybe one morning you went outside and
thought you had a heavy dew on the lawn. That's what the spores looks like.
The only way to get rid of Kikuyu is by pulling the roots out by hand. Then
repeatedly hitting it with Roundup or a similar time of herbicide. Roundup
breaks down fairly rapidly and looses its potence with six weeks. It may
take up to 12 month to fully get rid of your kikuyu. The easy way to control
kikuyu is not to water it. Bit of a problem if you want to have a lawn"
Old 20-04-2009, 03:22 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 01:12:20 +1000, YMC wrote:

The extremely hot weather - 47C - was also probably a contributing
factor - that kikuyu grass had been in that lawn for over 10 years now
and had grown very deep into the ground. Maybe over a metre deep.

Now all dead Thank God.

The hot weather was probably THE factor as it may have brought all the
deep roots into play providing water and thus giving strong circulation
to get the poison down deep.

OTOH, I've seen other species come back year after year from deeper roots
each time mutter

Hope your wish is granted.

Old 21-04-2009, 06:12 AM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

"Jonno" wrote in message

"There is a problem with kikuyu
re-germinating. You cannot see the seeds. They are actually in the form of
spore. A bit like the spore of fungi. Maybe one morning you went outside
and
thought you had a heavy dew on the lawn. That's what the spores looks
like.
The only way to get rid of Kikuyu is by pulling the roots out by hand.
Then
repeatedly hitting it with Roundup or a similar time of herbicide. Roundup
breaks down fairly rapidly and looses its potence with six weeks. It may
take up to 12 month to fully get rid of your kikuyu. The easy way to
control
kikuyu is not to water it. Bit of a problem if you want to have a lawn"

Yes, perhaps. But unfortunately I do not have the time or strength to weed
out a 6m x 4m patch.

I'll let the group know the results of it next Summer.

I'm currently getting good sun and rain in Melbourne now. The wild tomato
plant thats been growing next to the patch is doing well. But no sign of
mass kikuyu regrowth.

I weed out the few kikuyu grass I see - usually on the fringes. But by and
large they are all dead.

If they come back like zombies in Summer I'll let the group know. That
reminds me I better take a photo of the patch.

(iirc I use a double dose of concentrate roundup and zero - about 25ml to 5
litres of water.

Old 21-04-2009, 10:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

Regarding Roundup.
This will not sterilise the soil, but its supposed to deactivate when it
hits the soil.
I'm not sure but sertain weed killers have now been found to kill frogs
or at least sterilise them. In the end its the same thing. Will check up
on these facts and get back here..
Mean time, boiling water is being used by some councils, and steam would
be better, but it still cant get to the roots so round up will have to
so in some instances...

Rusty Naylor wrote:
On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 14:12:31 +1000, YMC wrote:

"Jonno" wrote in message

The only way to get rid of Kikuyu is by pulling the roots out by hand.

Yes, perhaps. But unfortunately I do not have the time or strength to weed
out a 6m x 4m patch.

If I wanted to plant vegetables etc. in a particular garden bed I'd water
that garden bed 24 hours before I start turning the area over with a garden
fork and probably start during July in preparation for a late August or
early September planting.

I'd water and turn the garden bed over often as time permitted.

I have plenty of time available but can no longer kneel on the prayer mat
to pull out Kikuyu. :-(

I'm currently getting good sun and rain in Melbourne now. The wild tomato
plant thats been growing next to the patch is doing well. But no sign of
mass kikuyu regrowth.

Sorry to say the Kikuyu will most probably return. If you have/had Kikuyu I
daresay your neighbours will still have Kikuyu.

In garden beds I prefer not to use poisons that sterilise the soil because
while they will kill your Kikuyu (for the time being) they can also stop
your plants & vegetables from flourishing.

I haven't planted much in the garden in the last couple of years and have
only made small plantings in pots, because of water restrictions.

I weed out the few kikuyu grass I see - usually on the fringes. But by and
large they are all dead.

If you keep at it you will be in control, you MUST keep at it though. :-)

Old 21-04-2009, 01:01 PM posted to aus.gardens

I wish you wouldn't fall for people who say bottom posting it the way to
go. I think it shows a certain conformity to being easily led.
As far as not wanting to use weed killer. That's up to you.
I prefer to do things the best way possible, taking all things into
account. Getting onto my hands and knees isn't one of them, unless its a
very small area..
In a modern society we should use the best way which does not screw things.
I'm afraid that certain chemicals do unforeseen damage.
So its up to us to do as little damage as possible.
Its seems even DDT had a place in our evolution and the population
explosion. The side effects were awful.
Watering the soil doesn't seem logical. Steam sterilisation does
however. This method isn't practical for home gardeners and seems to be
the domain of nurseries.
There is something to be said of not using weed killers. But also of not
classifying all weed killers as having a dangerous effect. Each has its
purpose.
Unfortunately, like medicines, each has its side effects. This is where
I reckon corporations like "de santo" only publicise the positives and
not the negatives. We should all be aware of them.
The negatives of weeding are all well known. Labour intensive and not as
affective as we like.
Solerisation is another way of sterilising an area, providing there is
enough sun.
See here http://www.agri.huji.ac.il/~katan/about.html

This usually means covering an area with plastic, and leaving it for a
while, (1 to 2 months) making sure its kept wet enough to transfer heat
to soil underneath. Easy, but the side effect? It kills beneficial soil
bacteria. But with intelligence, can be restored to normal levels, also
needing more intelligence.

I'm not sure but certain weed killers have now been found to kill frogs
or at least sterilise them. In the end its the same thing. Will check up
on these facts and get back here..
Mean time, boiling water is being used by some councils, and steam would
be better, but it still cant get to the roots so round up will have to
so in some instances...

I wish you wouldn't top post Jonno but that is your choice.

OK so Roundup doesn't sterilise the soil but I don't want to use weed
killer.

I can't get down on my hands and knees now to pull out kikuyu which is why
I suggested watering the soil and turning over the garden bed with a garden
fork.
--

John

Old 22-04-2009, 11:31 AM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

Regarding steamers - there are portable steamers that look a bit like vaccum
cleaners. I think the price is about $100 or so.

Kikuyu Grass and Buffalo Grass War YMC Australia 1 25-12-2008 01:09 AM
KIKUYU GRASS Blue Gardening 0 27-01-2004 03:12 AM
Kikuyu Grass Rod Australia 13 24-10-2003 02:12 AM
Burclover in kikuyu grass The Real Bev Gardening 0 12-10-2003 04:22 AM
removing kikuyu grass Jerome Morrow Australia 9 18-04-2003 02:08 AM