Old 24-04-2009, 07:50 AM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

Default Mice in garden now in house

Rats! Sometime back I saw that there were mice in my compost bin. I don't
put food scraps there except vegetables - but it must be nice and warm
inside during Winter time.

One of them got into the house. I was watching the History channel yesterday
when I heard something rattling away at the toaster. I paid no attention to
it. When I went to make some toast - out popped a small little mouse.

It ran into a small hole inside a cupboard wall. (Meaning its not in the
cupboard but somewhere in its interior gaps.)

I got one of the old fashion traps and one of the new modern plastic
eco-friendly ones which doesn't kill the animal.

I thought of borrowing my friend's cat for the weekend. Its quite good at
catching mice apparently. But I don't know how
effective that would be.

Would it help?? I know its an odd question to ask.

At the moment its just one. I hope. Occasionally I leave the doors open when
I do my cooking - must have got in that way.

Old 24-04-2009, 09:24 AM posted to aus.gardens

"YMC" wrote in message
Rats! Sometime back I saw that there were mice in my compost bin. I don't
put food scraps there except vegetables - but it must be nice and warm
inside during Winter time.

One of them got into the house. I was watching the History channel
yesterday
when I heard something rattling away at the toaster. I paid no attention
it. When I went to make some toast - out popped a small little mouse.

It ran into a small hole inside a cupboard wall. (Meaning its not in the
cupboard but somewhere in its interior gaps.)

I got one of the old fashion traps and one of the new modern plastic
eco-friendly ones which doesn't kill the animal.

how is not killing a european house mouse "ecofriendly"? i know they're cute
but they don't belong here so there's no eco-problem in killing them! (quite
the reverse).

the "humane" traps are good for relocating them. e.g. if you caught an
indigenous mouse, or you caught a european mouse & are hopelessly
soft-hearted. :-)

I thought of borrowing my friend's cat for the weekend. Its quite good at
catching mice apparently. But I don't know how
effective that would be.

Would it help?? I know its an odd question to ask.

i suspect that the cat would spend a few days freaking out, wondering why
it's gone to live at your house instead. by which time you could have caught
the mouse yourself. it would depend on the cat's personality though.

i prefer old-fashioned snap traps. (baited with peanut butter). however,
during our recent & in fact current mouse plague we have had more luck
thusly: bait humane trap with peanut butter. catch mouse (2-3 a day for a
while there). take trap out to yard & release mouse, mouse is instantly
caught & killed by dog. i think they like the humane traps because they
develop a smell of live mouse about them which makes the mouse more likely
to go in - whereas snap traps (i suspect) keep the dead-mouse-smell that
only another mouse would be sensitive to. just my suspicion though. and
also, unless you do something along the lines of the above, releasing exotic
mice back into freedom isn't a responsible idea.

snap traps are good but sometimes you get a malfunctional one which isn't
sensitive enough, & that's where they can be a big waste of time. (not that
getting more is expensive nor much trouble).

At the moment its just one. I hope. Occasionally I leave the doors open
when
I do my cooking - must have got in that way.

mice can get in anywhere their heads (which are very little) can fit. you
can't really mouse proof a house entirely in that way. and as soon as you've
got one, you'll get plenty more.

now we have the mice at our house down to nearly zero, the rats are moving
in instead. sigh! ime, rats are MUCH more clever than mice. it is most
exasperating.
kylie

Old 24-04-2009, 02:36 PM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"YMC" wrote in message

Rats! Sometime back I saw that there were mice in my compost bin. I don't
put food scraps there except vegetables - but it must be nice and warm
inside during Winter time.

One of them got into the house. I was watching the History channel
yesterday
when I heard something rattling away at the toaster. I paid no attention
it. When I went to make some toast - out popped a small little mouse.

It ran into a small hole inside a cupboard wall. (Meaning its not in the
cupboard but somewhere in its interior gaps.)

I got one of the old fashion traps and one of the new modern plastic
eco-friendly ones which doesn't kill the animal.

how is not killing a european house mouse "ecofriendly"? i know they're
cute but they don't belong here so there's no eco-problem in killing them!
(quite the reverse).

I've got both mice and antechinus in my sun room at the moment. I seem to
have no more in the house but I'm not trusting the little sods not to come
back.

The mice I let go in a new housing development in the area and the
antechinus I release in the paddock.

Old 24-04-2009, 03:16 PM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"0tterbot" wrote in message
"YMC" wrote in message

[...]

They are probably been displaced by the housing development.
This happened locally when they started building some new units in a
place where there were previously paddocks.
Same happnes with kangaroos etc....
Old 24-04-2009, 03:19 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"0tterbot" wrote in message
"YMC" wrote in message

[...]

I doubt it. The housing development is about 10 kms away and I drop the
mice off there after taking them for a drive. My act of releasing the mice
in that locality is my way of commenting on what I think of this eyesore.

Old 24-04-2009, 06:21 PM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

"0tterbot" wrote in message
how is not killing a european house mouse "ecofriendly"? i know they're
cute but they don't belong here so there's no eco-problem in killing them!
(quite the reverse).

the "humane" traps are good for relocating them. e.g. if you caught an
indigenous mouse, or you caught a european mouse & are hopelessly
soft-hearted. :-)

Haha, no not soft hearted. I was going to write humane trap - but being
"humane" to a non-human rodent seems an odd thing to say. So I used the
word - ecofriendly.

I'm not a mouse expert and don't know whether the mouse is native or not.
Its small. Grey. and has a very long tail. And its also freaking the other
person who lives in this house out.

Old 24-04-2009, 09:10 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day ymc,

yep need to control them if they establish in the home they can find
their way into the wall cavities where rats in particular but mice as
well are very fond of chewing the wiring, the cause of many a house
fire, more dangerous if threat occurs in the roof. if you have a home
with good screens and security type doors they can have a difficult
time getting in but we have had mice in the house, discover them
quickly and deal with them long before they get comfortable. in rural
the home ahd no screens (not needed) we had a rat come in went
straight to where the computer was and chewed all the telephone cables
so we had no phone.

they find a good home in copost and enough to eat, we do our
composting in our gardens so they wil live inb there as well we put
all our rottable kitchen scraps tucked under the mulch so the food is
there as well. but we run bait stations using tomcat rat baits cut a
couple of openings into icecream containers large enough for them to
get in this protects the baits from the weather, use a small piece of
3x2 or such as s weight to hold the station in place against the wind.

in the house we slipped bats in under the sink wher the pipes come
through (only bit you can't observe the bait for interfference. it
could take up to 2 weeks for a rat to die from ingesting the bait over
numerous feed, they usually die outside heading back to their water
supply.

all the rats seem to have dissapeared from around here and the mice
are well in check, after all we didn't create them locally they where
always here on council reserves/drains or other gardens unchecked.

with a rat that i needed to get rid of right away or as rightaway as
we could we borrowed one of those spring traps put some cheese on it
unset for a couple of nights to give the rat a false sense of security
and free feed, we then set the trap on that last night tied the cheese
on with cotton and yup he fell for it, had a very surprised look on
his face. why tie the bait they are very adept at removing the bait
without springing the trap.

run the baits out in the garden etc.,. stop them before they come
inside.

excuse my typo's lease

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:50:16 +1000, "YMC"
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 25-04-2009, 01:42 AM posted to aus.gardens

"YMC" wrote in message
"0tterbot" wrote in message
how is not killing a european house mouse "ecofriendly"? i know they're
cute but they don't belong here so there's no eco-problem in killing
them! (quite the reverse).

the "humane" traps are good for relocating them. e.g. if you caught an
indigenous mouse, or you caught a european mouse & are hopelessly
soft-hearted. :-)

Haha, no not soft hearted. I was going to write humane trap - but being
"humane" to a non-human rodent seems an odd thing to say. So I used the
word - ecofriendly.

sorry to be a word-nerd, but i just am :-)

humane means for a human to behave in a kind and responsible way towards
another creature, whether human or not. those traps are thusly labelled
because one is able to relocate the animal without hurting it. you can
definitely be humane to a creature which isn't human, just as long as you're
human yourself :-)

eco-friendly is rapidly becoming meaningless, but is meant to imply an
activity which is either benign to, or actively helps, our environment in
its natural form.

I'm not a mouse expert and don't know whether the mouse is native or not.
Its small. Grey. and has a very long tail.

it's most likely a european house mouse. they have rounded ears, are grey,
and have cute buttony eyes & are generally extremely appealing in
appearance. they tend to be extremely small.

indigenous mice come in a few species i'm quite sure... however ime tend to
have more oval ears & a more stand-uppish appearance & tend to be brown &
quite likely a tiny bit larger. they have more of the look of a miniature
bilby to them, which an exotic mouse doesn't have. i'd be inclined to just
relocate these, if they're what you've got. european mice should just be
killed, ideally, imo. indigenous mice are much less likely to ever move into
your house in the first place ime so it's probably not one of those anyway.

And its also freaking the other
person who lives in this house out.

i can't fathom anyone getting freaked out by a few mice, but that's not the
issue here :-)
kylie

Old 25-04-2009, 03:16 AM posted to aus.gardens

"YMC" wrote in message

I'm not a mouse expert and don't know whether the mouse is native or not.
Its small. Grey. and has a very long tail.

Do a google on antechinus. The 'very long tail' sounds like an antechinus
to me and they are native.

Old 25-04-2009, 03:20 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message

i can't fathom anyone getting freaked out by a few mice, but that's not
the issue here :-)

I agree. We weren't even freaked out when we were told to evacuate at
midnight because they couldn't find the bloke who tried to murder my
husband. That's personal and could be freaky if someone is that way
inclined. Mice are just being mice and doing micey things.

Old 25-04-2009, 06:07 AM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

"0tterbot" wrote in message

i can't fathom anyone getting freaked out by a few mice, but that's not
the issue here :-)
kylie

The same person who freaks out about even the mentioning of their
description - can readily kill with her bare hands - big hairy huntsmen
spiders.

Old 25-04-2009, 06:10 AM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

Good idea Lens mate.

Will do!!

I already had traps set up near my compost bin. Nothing close to the house
to avoid the obvious.

This one must have slipped through somehow.

YMC

Old 25-04-2009, 07:50 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 14:07:32 +1000, YMC wrote:

The same person who freaks out about even the mentioning of their
description - can readily kill with her bare hands - big hairy huntsmen
spiders.

Arsehole,{:-). Somehow, our house one was squashed and now we are
infested with flies inside the house.

Old 25-04-2009, 04:08 PM posted to aus.gardens

YMC wrote:
[...]

Bromakill sell a feed block , drop one of those through the holes and
wave goodbye to your mouse .(smell is minimal)
Old 25-04-2009, 06:00 PM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

Default Mice in garden now in house - News Update

I borrowed my friend's cat for the weekend.

And I set up a trap using the "humane mouse trap"

http://www.humanemousetrap.com.au/

I bought it at Bunnings for about $2.60.

Smeared the end with peanut butter. But seemed to have no success for a day
or so.

My friend brought his cat over. After dinner it was attracted to the trap.
It wasn't activated.

Then the cat stuck its hand inside as if it was trying to get at something.

I thought it was playing around -

I picked the trap up but the trap seemed a tad heavy. I shook it - but
didn't hear anything rattling inside.

I called the cat over - by this time it seemed to have lost all interest.

Popped open the lid - and out popped a mouse. Very small like a small
computer mouse - and the cat jumped on it straight away.

Played with it for awhile - then ate it. It must have loved the taste of
that mouse because after that - it didn't want to have anymore milk or
commercial cat food. But instead went to hunting mode. I guess there may be
more than one mouse in the house hahaha.