Old 05-05-2009, 06:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Bird's eye chillies in Melbourne

Any tips for growing bird's eye chilli plants in Melbourne?

We were recently given one and told to keep it indoors. We've previously
had one in the garden. Once I built a wire cage over it to keep critters
(rats or possums) from eating the chillies, it didn't really do very well
(no new chillies and it died eventually).

The new one we kept inside for a couple of weeks (sunny spot on kitchen
bench) but it seems to not like the ducted heating. Leaves are drying out
and curling up and chillies are drying out too. Which sounds like lack of
water but it is kept moist, so maybe the air is too dry?

It's had some Seasol and one dose of Aquasol. It's in an 8" approx plastic
pot straight from the nursery.

It looked great when we got it, but now if it was in the shop, it'd be half
price.

It has been kept moist. We've been growing one of those supermarket
hyrdoponic basil plants (in perlite or similar) in the same spot in the
same way for about 3 months and it is still going strong.

The last couple of days it is outside in a recycling crate facing north
covered in clear plastic.

What is ideal? What is the ideal temperature? Cool nights ok? Does it
like humidity? Full sun or shade? Does it need the leaves to be sprayed
with water? Any particular likes or dislikes for fertiliser? Should it be
kept moist or allowed to dry out?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

Tom N wrote:
Any tips for growing bird's eye chilli plants in Melbourne?

We were recently given one and told to keep it indoors. We've
previously had one in the garden. Once I built a wire cage over it
to keep critters (rats or possums) from eating the chillies, it
didn't really do very well (no new chillies and it died eventually).

The new one we kept inside for a couple of weeks (sunny spot on
kitchen bench) but it seems to not like the ducted heating. Leaves
are drying out and curling up and chillies are drying out too. Which
sounds like lack of water but it is kept moist, so maybe the air is
too dry?

It is not an indoor plant. It needs full sun and not ducted heating which
is too dry.

It's had some Seasol and one dose of Aquasol. It's in an 8" approx
plastic pot straight from the nursery.

It looked great when we got it, but now if it was in the shop, it'd
be half price.

I doubt it will last the winter, save some seeds from a ripe fruit now.

It has been kept moist. We've been growing one of those supermarket
hyrdoponic basil plants (in perlite or similar) in the same spot in
the same way for about 3 months and it is still going strong.

The last couple of days it is outside in a recycling crate facing
north covered in clear plastic.

Careful of the plastic it can cause condensation which encourages fungus.
Outdoors in Melbourne winter will be too cold.

What is ideal? What is the ideal temperature? Cool nights ok? Does
it like humidity? Full sun or shade? Does it need the leaves to be
sprayed with water? Any particular likes or dislikes for fertiliser?
Should it be kept moist or allowed to dry out?

Grow in full sun outdoors as an annual during summer, in that case it will
be growing strongly so you should keep it damp (as long as the pot drains)
and feed fairly liberally with a balanced fertiliser. It likes warm to hot
weather neither particularly humid nor dry but moderately damp.

David

Old 05-05-2009, 05:20 PM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Tom N wrote:
Any tips for growing bird's eye chilli plants in Melbourne?

SNIP
Outdoors in Melbourne winter will be too cold.

While Capsicum anuum is an annual in Melbourne, I find Capsicum frutescens
varieties like Birds Eye survive Melbourne winters well (temps down
to -2oC). They can lose most of their leaves during the winter but they
reshoot in spring and last for several years.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:59 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Tom N" wrote in message

Any tips for growing bird's eye chilli plants in Melbourne?

Wait till Spring. Now is not the time to be trying to grow any of that
family of plants.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:53 PM posted to aus.gardens

Thanks for all the replies.

I am keeping the plant outside in a pot sitting in a recycling crate, in
the sunniest sheltered spot, keeping moist, Covered with plastic at night,
uncovered during the day.

Looks like it is going to lose some or all leaves.

I note that on the James Cook Uni website Capsicum frutescens can be a weed
in north QLD so I suppose that indicates its preferred climate is
substantially warmer than Melb.