Old 13-05-2009, 05:03 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Urgh! European wasps in my garden!

What do I do? I spent a fruitless half-hour stalking the little buggers
with a fly swatter (yeah, I know - stupid!). They wouldn't sit still
long enough for me to thwack 'em, nor even allow me to deliver a sharp
forehand volley in fresh air. I'm very reluctant to spray anything
about, since we have a lot of frogs and lizards living among our veg.
What to do???

I can't see any nest or definite place from which the wasps are coming,
although there's an old (empty?) paper wasps' nest up under the eaves of
the house. There are swarms of these blasted European things, though,
and it's starting to get dangerous to go out in the yard. Any and all
help gratefully appreciated! =:-0

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 13-05-2009, 07:31 AM posted to aus.gardens

Trish Brown wrote:
What do I do? I spent a fruitless half-hour stalking the little
buggers with a fly swatter (yeah, I know - stupid!). They wouldn't
sit still long enough for me to thwack 'em, nor even allow me to
deliver a sharp forehand volley in fresh air. I'm very reluctant to
spray anything about, since we have a lot of frogs and lizards living
among our veg. What to do???

Spraying them on the wing in small numbers isn't going to do much so save
the frogs the toxic load.

I can't see any nest or definite place from which the wasps are
coming, although there's an old (empty?) paper wasps' nest up under
the eaves of the house. There are swarms of these blasted European
things, though, and it's starting to get dangerous to go out in the
yard. Any and all help gratefully appreciated! =:-0

http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/content/pw/ins/hp/euwasp.pdf

It seems the trick is to find the nest and destroy it and the queen. In a
rural area or leafy suburb it could be in one of 10000 hollow trees

But if you find it you might remove a whole generation unlike the local
non-colonial wasps which each do their own thing.

David

Old 13-05-2009, 07:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

Trish Brown wrote:
What do I do? I spent a fruitless half-hour stalking the little buggers
with a fly swatter (yeah, I know - stupid!). They wouldn't sit still
long enough for me to thwack 'em, nor even allow me to deliver a sharp
forehand volley in fresh air. I'm very reluctant to spray anything
about, since we have a lot of frogs and lizards living among our veg.
What to do???

I can't see any nest or definite place from which the wasps are coming,
although there's an old (empty?) paper wasps' nest up under the eaves of
the house. There are swarms of these blasted European things, though,
and it's starting to get dangerous to go out in the yard. Any and all
help gratefully appreciated! =:-0

Watch for a while until you discover the hive , might be almost anywhere
in the yard and after dark hit them with flames if possible
Old 14-05-2009, 01:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 13 May 2009 13:03:35 +1000, Trish Brown wrote:

What do I do?

Fly trap, the kind that is easy to crawl in, but not get out.
Vegemite in water?
sugar water?
can not remeber which works best.
Old 14-05-2009, 04:12 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 13 May 2009 15:40:01 +1000, atec 7 7 wrote:

Watch for a while until you discover the hive , might be almost anywhere
in the yard and after dark hit them with flames if possible

Err, OP says these are EUROPEAN wasps, not your paper wasp.

Old 14-05-2009, 05:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

terryc wrote:
On Wed, 13 May 2009 15:40:01 +1000, atec 7 7 wrote:

Watch for a while until you discover the hive , might be almost anywhere
in the yard and after dark hit them with flames if possible

Err, OP says these are EUROPEAN wasps, not your paper wasp.

so they don't quieten in the dark ?

are they easily offended in the dark ?
Old 14-05-2009, 01:33 PM posted to aus.gardens

terryc wrote:
On Wed, 13 May 2009 13:03:35 +1000, Trish Brown wrote:

What do I do?

Fly trap, the kind that is easy to crawl in, but not get out.
Vegemite in water?
sugar water?
can not remember which works best.

Hah! Great idea! I'll try the little tykes with various baits and see
which ones tickle their fancy. They disappear before it gets dark, but
it's impossible to chase them, since they trundle over a series of
neighbours' fences and I'm not as nimble as I used to be. The nest isn't
in my yard (I don't *think*...), but I'm anxious not to attract a queen
here either. The wasps I do have seem to be just sailing around
aimlessly, barely alighting on anything (hence the problem with the fly
swatter method). Thing is, the kids reckon there are more here today
than there were yesterday. That's not a good sign, is it? =:-0

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 14-05-2009, 09:41 PM posted to aus.gardens

Trish Brown wrote:
terryc wrote:
[...]

Well they are attracted to sweet foods and meat so hide the pet food and
hope they go else where if you cant source the hive...
Leaving a poisoned sweet food will kill much more than wasps which is
a real quandary so atm no ideas
Old 15-05-2009, 05:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Fri, 15 May 2009 05:41:55 +1000, atec 7 7 wrote:

Leaving a poisoned sweet food will kill much more than wasps which is
a real quandary so atm no ideas

Unless you have the proper bait, then you are far better to just trp the
foragers. Helps cut down on food supply and health of the hive.hopefully
the winter will kill them off.
Old 15-05-2009, 07:43 AM posted to aus.gardens

terryc wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2009 05:41:55 +1000, atec 7 7 wrote:

Leaving a poisoned sweet food will kill much more than wasps which is
a real quandary so atm no ideas

Unless you have the proper bait, then you are far better to just trp the
foragers. Helps cut down on food supply and health of the hive.hopefully
the winter will kill them off.

I was under the impression in a cold winter they all most all die yet
this is not happening , a bowl of sugar and honey will attract them and
I am told there are poisons to suit BUT this will kill all the insects
that partake ...

Old 15-05-2009, 04:34 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Fri, 15 May 2009 15:43:09 +1000, atec 7 7 wrote:

terryc wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2009 05:41:55 +1000, atec 7 7 wrote:

Leaving a poisoned sweet food will kill much more than wasps which
is
a real quandary so atm no ideas

Unless you have the proper bait, then you are far better to just trp
the foragers. Helps cut down on food supply and health of the
hive.hopefully the winter will kill them off.

I was under the impression in a cold winter they all most all die yet
this is not happening,

There is cold and cold.

a bowl of sugar and honey will attract them and
I am told there are poisons to suit BUT this will kill all the insects
that partake ...

That is why you have a trap.
Take a soft drink bottle, cut top funnel shape off, invert and fasten
inside. bugs can walk down funnel into bottle and fall/fly off inside.
not too man bugs can walk the zigzag to get back out.
Put sugar water in bottom.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
Old 19-05-2009, 07:14 PM posted to aus.gardens

I don't have any advice sorry, but I just wanted to give you some positive
karma for at least trying to tackle them without poisonous sprays etc first.
Unfortunately that hasn't worked but it was definitely worth a try

Old 19-05-2009, 07:16 PM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/content/pw/ins/hp/euwasp.pdf

It seems the trick is to find the nest and destroy it and the queen. In a
rural area or leafy suburb it could be in one of 10000 hollow trees

But if you find it you might remove a whole generation unlike the

local
non-colonial wasps which each do their own thing.

Although this may not sound practical for the regular home owner, I wonder
if staying outside in a beesuit for a day or two and observing the "bee
traffic" might lead to the nest?

Old 21-05-2009, 06:36 AM posted to aus.gardens

Hi Trish,
they are easy to get rid of but you must be careful.
1/ In the afternoon, try to locate their nest. This can be done by
watching for them returning to it. Use your peripheral vision, it is
much better for perceiving movement.
2/ Once the nest entry point is located, place something nearby as a
marker so that you can find the nest again in the dark. Make sure that
any alternative entry points are located too, however these are quite
unusual.
3/ IMPORTANT! Use a torch with a red filter over the lens. European
wasps will not react to red light. Make sure that it is really red. If
not red enough, the wasps may react to the light and attack you. 2-3
layers of red cellophane shoud be enough. It MUST be red. Sorry to
shout, if you get stung, it's because you didn't take note of this
point.
4/ There are several ways that you can kill them.
a) If the nest entry goes vertically down, then the cheapest (but
environmentally worst) option is to pour petrol into the nest and
block the entry with a rag that is also soaked in petrol. Do NOT
ignite it.
b) If the nest entry goes in sideways or upward then you must use a
surface spray or powder. I prefer the surface spray (usually Baygon as
the Mortein product is not as effective) because it kills the wasps
guarding the entry immediately. Spray the liquid or puff the powder
into the hole. I use about half a can per nest.
5/ You'll hear are loud humming coming from within. It's time to leave
now.
6/ Check the site the next day. There may be a couple of stragglers
that camped out overnight because they didn't get back to the nest,
this is normal. The nest itself should be quiet with no traffic going
in or out.

Sometimes the entry hole is very long and goes up and down so the
spray may not make it into the nest. (With powder the wasps can carry
this in). The wasps may then forge another exit point and you'll have
to repeat the process.

I have used this method for dozens of nests in the last 10 years or
so. It is quite reliable and much cheaper than the pest exterminators
in spacesuites.
Regards, Ed.

Old 27-05-2009, 01:48 AM posted to aus.gardens

On May 13, 1:03*pm, Trish Brown wrote:
What do I do? I spent a fruitless half-hour stalking the little buggers
with a fly swatter (yeah, I know - stupid!). They wouldn't sit still
long enough for me to thwack 'em, nor even allow me to deliver a sharp
forehand volley in fresh air. I'm very reluctant to spray anything
about, since we have a lot of frogs and lizards living among our veg.
What to do???

I can't see any nest or definite place from which the wasps are coming,
although there's an old (empty?) paper wasps' nest up under the eaves of
the house. There are swarms of these blasted European things, though,
and it's starting to get dangerous to go out in the yard. Any and all
help gratefully appreciated! =:-0

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Dear Trish

I have had no experience with European Wasps or with tracking
insects. However I do recall many years ago
reading about Australian Aboriginal techniques for tracking native
bees to their hives. I think they used to
catch one and stick some white fluff onto it which made it easier to
follow through the bush. Perhaps a risky
technique with European Wasps!!

However, I googled "tracking native bees" and as expected I found a
native bees enthusiasts' site. These people
seem to know more about native bees than anyone needs to know, and
some of them must know how to track insects through the bush. Despite
the neighbours' fences I think that tracking them in the suburbs will
probably be easier than in the bush. From the sound of the web page
the native bee people would probably be a helpful group, and I think
they would probably share your hostility towards European Wasps.

From other people's comments, it does seem as if finding the hive
would be the ideal place to start.

The link is http://www.aussiebee.com.au/abol-011.html

Yours