Old 11-06-2009, 05:21 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Detergent for New Washing Machine?

We need to replace our washing machine.

One machine that looks promising seems to require "front loading" washing
machine detergent so that the clothes aren't left covered with a white
residue. We have been using some of the environmentally friendly powders
in our old machine, putting the grey water on our Canberra garden. Are
there any detergents out there that are less prone to leaving residue but
still fine for garden use? What should we be looking for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Philip

--
Posted at www.Usenet.com.au
Old 11-06-2009, 08:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

P Habel wrote:
We need to replace our washing machine.

One machine that looks promising seems to require "front loading" washing
machine detergent so that the clothes aren't left covered with a white
residue. We have been using some of the environmentally friendly powders
in our old machine, putting the grey water on our Canberra garden. Are
there any detergents out there that are less prone to leaving residue but
still fine for garden use? What should we be looking for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Philip

Low phosorus I expect , we use the Aldi product with resulting clean
cloths and the law survives .
Old 11-06-2009, 09:02 AM posted to aus.gardens

P Habel wrote:
We need to replace our washing machine.

One machine that looks promising seems to require "front loading" washing
machine detergent so that the clothes aren't left covered with a white
residue. We have been using some of the environmentally friendly powders
in our old machine, putting the grey water on our Canberra garden. Are
there any detergents out there that are less prone to leaving residue but
still fine for garden use? What should we be looking for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Philip

I use Biozet, which says it is Grey Water Suitable, and the plants have survived so far.

--
Anne Chambers
South Australia

anne dot chambers at bigpond dot com
Old 11-06-2009, 02:21 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 04:21:23 +0000 (UTC), P Habel wrote:

One machine that looks promising seems to require "front loading" washing
machine detergent so that the clothes aren't left covered with a white
residue. We have been using some of the environmentally friendly powders
in our old machine, putting the grey water on our Canberra garden. Are
there any detergents out there that are less prone to leaving residue but
still fine for garden use? What should we be looking for?

There are both liquid and powder detergents that are greywater safe. The
powder ones are not recommended for food crops though, so that may push
you towards the liquid ones.

Check out Earth Choice, and Eco Store. (We're currently switching from
the former to the latter, as the newer version of Earth Choice has
something in it that upsets SWMBO).
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Let the laddie play wi the knife - he'll learn"
Old 12-06-2009, 06:36 AM posted to aus.gardens

atec 7 7" "atec 77 wrote:
P Habel wrote:
We need to replace our washing machine.

One machine that looks promising seems to require "front loading"
washing machine detergent so that the clothes aren't left covered
with a white residue. We have been using some of the
environmentally friendly powders in our old machine, putting the
grey water on our Canberra garden. Are there any detergents out
there that are less prone to leaving residue but still fine for
garden use? What should we be looking for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Philip

Low phosorus I expect , we use the Aldi product with resulting clean
cloths and the law survives .

Low sodium would be more important to me.

David

Old 16-06-2009, 12:22 AM posted to aus.gardens

"P Habel" wrote in message
We need to replace our washing machine.

One machine that looks promising seems to require "front loading" washing
machine detergent so that the clothes aren't left covered with a white
residue. We have been using some of the environmentally friendly powders
in our old machine, putting the grey water on our Canberra garden. Are
there any detergents out there that are less prone to leaving residue but
still fine for garden use? What should we be looking for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i'm not sure about your white residue problem (might that have been that the
old machine wasn't working properly any more?) but i use "aware" by planet
ark (from any supermarket, it's very easy to find) & i'm very happy with it.
it's not expensive either like some of the "look at me, i'm so green until
you read the fine print!!!"-type brands; be wary of brands like that. i've
been using "aware" on the garden here for more than 2.5 years & i'm very
happy with it (and have touted it on this group ;-).

this particular powder seems to form hard clumps (rather than residue) when
the water is freezing cold, but overall that's easy to avoid. :-) always be
sure you're not using too much product - that might cause residue,
difficulty in rinsing etc. what i do is check how much they recommend, &
then reduce it a bit.
kylie