Old 11-06-2009, 11:32 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default english spinach alternative

I had to share this. Got some mustard seed from a store that sell herbs and
spices and everything else. I went for the yellow coloured mustard seed
which they call white mustard doesn't go feral like the black mustard. I
planted the seed in WA's grey sand which I spruked up with some aged chicken
poo a couple of weeks before. Result is a stand of mustard greens 3ft high.

So I am picking the leaves off young and old then taking out the central
vein. I am then left with nice green leaves. Cooking this is a breeze. In
medium sized saucepan put in a glug of oil when it is hot add a teaspoon of
mustard seeds and half a teaspoon of tumeric powder. When the mustard seeds
begin to pop add all the mustard leaves and a splash of water. Throw on the
lid and shake if over the burner for less than a minute. Result is a great
tasting spinach.

I am told though that when mustard flowers it becomes bitter. Bonus is no
sand on the leaves which is known to happen with English Spinach. The leaves
produced for a small space far outweighs anythinything else. Downside is
then when the leaves wilt you are not left with much so you need a good
handful per person.

How does spinach grow, pls? Request for some info re spinach. fitwell Edible Gardening 11 03-06-2004 04:11 AM
Spinach spikes will United Kingdom 14 05-06-2003 10:19 AM
Unbelievable Spinach! clc Edible Gardening 4 15-04-2003 08:56 PM
spinach again Larry Blanchard Edible Gardening 12 28-03-2003 04:20 PM
Newbie Q: Baby spinach Irving Kimura Edible Gardening 4 04-02-2003 03:43 AM