Old 14-06-2009, 03:26 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Growing Camellia Sinensis

Hi,

I am looking at trying to grow a Camellia Sinensis plant and eventually
making black tea from it. I have no gardening experience, I just thought
this would be a fun little thing to do. I thought I would ask here to see
if anyone has any experience growing it in Australia, I live in Melbourne,
around the Dandenong's.
I'm not even sure if I live in the right climate to grow it.

any comments are appreciated,
Thanks.
Old 15-06-2009, 11:51 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 23:26:41 +1000, Rob B wrote:

I'm not even sure if I live in the right climate to grow it.

It is a Camellia. Does that answere your question?
The taste is in the pruning, picking and pickling.
Old 15-06-2009, 01:28 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 23:26:41 +1000, "Rob B" wrote:

Hi,

I am looking at trying to grow a Camellia Sinensis plant and eventually
making black tea from it. I have no gardening experience, I just thought
this would be a fun little thing to do. I thought I would ask here to see
if anyone has any experience growing it in Australia, I live in Melbourne,
around the Dandenong's.
I'm not even sure if I live in the right climate to grow it.

The furthest south in Australia that commercial tea plantations exist is on the central coast of NSW. Personally, I reckon they
will go broke because growing camellia sinensis as a commercial crop really requires a tropical climate where the plant will grow
throughout the year. Tea itself is made from the new growth of the plant and in cooler climates you will only get one or two lots
of new growth in a season. The best tea plantations in Australia are up on the Atherton Tableland.

The plant itself will grow just fine where you are so enjoy it for it's flowers and buy some teabags at Coles. ;-)

Old 15-06-2009, 05:42 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Rob B" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I am looking at trying to grow a Camellia Sinensis plant and eventually
making black tea from it. I have no gardening experience, I just thought
this would be a fun little thing to do. I thought I would ask here to see
if anyone has any experience growing it in Australia, I live in Melbourne,
around the Dandenong's.
I'm not even sure if I live in the right climate to grow it.

any comments are appreciated,
Thanks.

If you do decide to grow camellia's you will need an acid soil 6.2 to 6.8
pH. When selecting the plants go for ones with no central leader you want a
bush not a tree. Therefore you want something with shoots coming out at the
bottom or prune it so it grows that way. It is far easier to pick leaves at
waist hieght than up on a ladder. Pruning encourages new growth and the new
growth is what tea is made from.

Old 16-06-2009, 01:55 AM posted to aus.gardens

Loosecanon wrote:
"Rob B" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I am looking at trying to grow a Camellia Sinensis plant and
eventually making black tea from it. I have no gardening experience,
I just thought this would be a fun little thing to do. I thought I
would ask here to see if anyone has any experience growing it in
Australia, I live in Melbourne, around the Dandenong's.
I'm not even sure if I live in the right climate to grow it.

Do you get frost? That might be a limiting factor.

any comments are appreciated,
Thanks.

If you do decide to grow camellia's you will need an acid soil 6.2 to
6.8 pH.

I have little experience with camelias generally and none with C. sinensis
so bear with me. Why do you suggest such a narrow pH range that is only
slightly acid? This is right in the range usually given for growing most
vegetables and many grasses, shrubs and trees. Common wisdom is that
camelias like soil that is more acid than most, is this wrong or does it not
apply to sinensis?. A number of references about C. sinensis suggest ranges
like 4.5 to 6.0.

David

Old 16-06-2009, 07:55 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Loosecanon wrote:
"Rob B" wrote in message
news

If you do decide to grow camellia's you will need an acid soil 6.2 to
6.8 pH.

I have little experience with camelias generally and none with C. sinensis
so bear with me. Why do you suggest such a narrow pH range that is only
slightly acid? This is right in the range usually given for growing most
vegetables and many grasses, shrubs and trees. Common wisdom is that
camelias like soil that is more acid than most, is this wrong or does it
not apply to sinensis?. A number of references about C. sinensis suggest
ranges like 4.5 to 6.0.

David

I have C. japonicas I assumed that was the range. I just knew you didn't
want them on the alkaline side of the equation. I hadn't thought they liked
acidity as much as azalea's do.

Richard