Old 06-07-2009, 02:35 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default July gardens

So, who is doing what in their gardens?

I'm puddling around when I should be working on my fruit cage.

I've tidied up one border and pruned the roses in it which is a bit too
early for my area, but I couldn't stand the look of it any longer.

I've started weeding the huge rose bed as it'd disappeared under weeds and a
groundcover and the roses were in danger of disappearing too.

I've bought some onion seeds as I havent' been able to buy the onion sets
that I used to be able to get after a very long trip to one nursery that
actually bothered to get sets and I've bought a dozen raspbery plants of 3
different varieties - have bunged them into polystyrene boxes till the fruit
cage is ready - prolly still be there come mid summer at the current rate of
progress on that - too bloody cold to do anything much except for a few
hours around midday.

So, who's hibernating and who's active?

Old 06-07-2009, 03:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

[...]

Managed to put some nice red silverbeet in the front flower beds, they have
replaced the chillies & jalapenos. 1/2 dozen caulies in where the toms &
capsicums summered. Other than that not much. Lunch time so I will give them
a dose of tank water.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:55 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
[...]

I haven't been doing much. Her Indoors has been ill and between looking
after her and the boggy conditions over the last few months it has been very
hard. But both are now on the mend so I have been getting the weeds off the
brassicas etc. slowly.

We have joined WWOOF and had a young Swedish couple to stay in April who
were very pleasant and hard working, I will now try to get some more
WWOOFers to help with the stoop work. The pasture looks great for July and
the horses are all fat and sassy. The chestnut arab pulled the hook out of
the gate of the electric fence the other day and let them all into the
orchard. Serves me right I should turn it on more often. This is better
than two years ago when on the frostiest morning of the winter I got a phone
call from a neighbour at about 6AM which began "did you know all your horses
are running up and down the road ...."

I haven't touched our roses yet, I usually leave it until August.

David

Old 07-07-2009, 05:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
So, who is doing what in their gardens?

I haven't been doing much. Her Indoors has been ill

Will send good thoughts for her speedy recovery - no fun having to nurse and
do all chores by oneself.

and between looking
after her and the boggy conditions over the last few months it has been
very hard. But both are now on the mend so I have been getting the weeds
off the brassicas etc. slowly.

"boggy"???? You lucky sod! We've had less than half our post climate
change/drought rainfall.

We have joined WWOOF and had a young Swedish couple to stay in April who
were very pleasant and hard working, I will now try to get some more
WWOOFers to help with the stoop work. The pasture looks great for July
and the horses are all fat and sassy. The chestnut arab pulled the hook
out of the gate of the electric fence the other day and let them all into
the orchard. Serves me right I should turn it on more often. This is
better than two years ago when on the frostiest morning of the winter I
got a phone call from a neighbour at about 6AM which began "did you know
all your horses are running up and down the road ...."

Typical of an Arab - too smart by halves.

I haven't touched our roses yet, I usually leave it until August.

I do too but in this case, I just couldnt' stand the look of the bed for one
moment longer and I couldn't get into it without savaging the roses.

Which reminds me, I have 2 x "Black Boy" climbing roses that I must plant in
the next few days.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:48 AM posted to aus.gardens

"SG1" wrote in message

Managed to put some nice red silverbeet in the front flower beds, they
have replaced the chillies & jalapenos. 1/2 dozen caulies in where the
toms & capsicums summered. Other than that not much. Lunch time so I will
give them a dose of tank water.

Seems like we are all not doing a great deal. About now I start to long for
increasing day length and read more seed catalogues and garden books as I
wait.......

I have my Green Harvest cattle dog on the table waiting for me to finish
here so I'll read that when I drink my coffee.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:39 AM posted to aus.gardens

"SG1" wrote in message

Managed to put some nice red silverbeet in the front flower beds, they
have replaced the chillies & jalapenos. 1/2 dozen caulies in where the
toms & capsicums summered. Other than that not much. Lunch time so I will
give them a dose of tank water.

Seems like we are all not doing a great deal. About now I start to long
for increasing day length and read more seed catalogues and garden books
as I wait.......

I have my Green Harvest cattle dog on the table waiting for me to finish
here so I'll read that when I drink my coffee.

I have the Grey cattle dog & her mate waiting at the back dood.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:26 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
[...]

News of other peoples' roses is exciting! We planted fourteen (!) this
year and look forward to a wholly rosy spring! Might have to wait a year
for that, but it's worth it, IMHO. Speaking of climbing roses, I bought
a Queen Elizabeth about three years ago and especially chose a bush
plant, since I had nowhere I really wanted to put a climber. As luck
would have it, the plant I bought was mis-labelled and turned out to be
an extremely vigorous climber. We've had bushels of flowers from this
bush, which started flowering in its first year and doesn't seem to have
stopped yet! Hooray! People driving by pull up to look at our lovely
pink rose rambling across the front verandah (miners cottage). As if
that weren't enough, my daughter asked for a Mr Lincoln and the same
thing happened. The plant turned out to be a mis-labelled climber. At
the moment we have no flowers, but the long canes are behaving in
exactly the same way as the first rose. We look forward to Great Things
from Mr Lincoln!

Other than that (this pair is at the front of the house), our raised bed
contains fourteen favourites, including Double Delight, Woburn Abbey,
Lady X, Pascali etc etc. I've warned my husband that if the bed is a
roaring success, we'll be needing another one very soon. Varieties I'm
looking out for include St Patrick (yellow), Catherine McCauley (pale
pink), John F. Kennedy (white) and City of Newcastle (red).

Before I shuddup on the subject of roses, it occurred to me to ask
whether others have had much success with miniature varieties? I've been
growing roses since I was about twelve years old ('way back in the dark
ages), but I've never yet been able to keep a miniature alive past a
single season. They just seem to shrivel up and kark it, dying back and
back until there's nothing left.

???

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 07-07-2009, 10:35 AM posted to aus.gardens

[...]

Here in metro west oz have some sugar snap peas at 3ft high. I am taking off
the tendrils and tieing them up with twine. Seem they travel up the bamboo
stakes quicker and gives the better support in the wind. I am expecting the
first flowers in a fortnight. Planted some more peas 9 days ago and they are
up.

Planted some carrot seeds and they are up. Planted out some seedlings of
Tatsoi (Chinese whatever choy), English Spinach, silverbeet, Red Swiss
Chard, turnips and coriander. All look good except the coriander but perhaps
early days.

The Yellow mustard I planted months back has supplied us with lots of nice
feeds but alas it is wanting to flower. Which will make it bitter. I'll end
up with a good lot of greens for the compost.

Waiting for the warmer weather and have started to buy some seeds. Got some
Kale which i could probably plant now. There is also Okra (never tried it
b4), radish and I got some white sage.

Cheers

Richard

Old 07-07-2009, 10:57 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
Before I shuddup on the subject of roses, it occurred to me to ask whether
others have had much success with miniature varieties? I've been growing
roses since I was about twelve years old ('way back in the dark ages), but
I've never yet been able to keep a miniature alive past a single season.
They just seem to shrivel up and kark it, dying back and back until
there's nothing left.

???

i think the miniatures are more prone to fungal disease & are generally a
bit more delicate; what you describe could be fungal. i don't think i've
ever seen one that's not covered in black spot :-) but i've most certainly
seen them alive & kicking well after their first year (albeit covered in
black spot like i said). when i was in charge of someone else's, i kept them
pruned in a really open shape. never did quite cure them of their woes,
though.

concerning roses in general, i'm not a fan of them it must be said, but we
have an old-fashioned-looking thornless climbing (rambling??) one with wee
butter yellow flowers in clumps - i find it really beautiful! and because
it's been forced to look after itself for quite some time now, it's very
healthy. to celebrate this fact, i might give it a prune this winter (i let
it go a bit berserk last year with all those shoots that come off the
sides).
kylie

Old 07-07-2009, 11:05 AM posted to aus.gardens

[...]

i'm hibernating.

actually, i've made a concious decision to ignore the garden as much as i
can for winter, because otherwise it overwhelms me with
things-that-have-to-be-done. :-)

it's just too cold atm for me to even think about planting anything but i
might put in some rocket & stuff in a while if i feel like it. i'm keeping
up with the weeding to facilitate the chooks getting their greens but that's
about all i'm doing.

in autumn, i had a bucket full of coriander seed that i couldn't seem to
organise planting anywhere, so i threw it around in a few garden beds & now
we have more coriander than i think i have ever seen!

there are lots of veg kicking along nicely (things that like winter,
obviously) but for the most part i'm ignoring everything unless eating it -
there's enough rain to water them & i mulched for winter long ago of course.
anyway, i'm finding it a convenient time to be run off my feet with other
things beside the garden.

i find winter extraordinarily difficult tbh. it's just so cold here & when
there's been 3 days without sunlight i start to lose my mind.
kylie

Old 07-07-2009, 02:36 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 10:35:42 +1000, FarmI wrote:

So, who is doing what in their gardens?

1) using a hand saw on a very long pole to cut dead branches off a dead
wattle as they are needed for kindling for the slow combustion.

2) Arranged with the neighbour to start on the WA Red flowering gum of
ours that is growing over his pool. It split and went Y shaped and is far
too big for location. So it will be replaced by a Grey Myrtle.

3) Finally cleaned(shift crap around) al the bricks, pavers and blocks so
I can start shovelling out the pit for the big plastic water pit.

4) Found out I have until september to get the 2nd bath tub out of the
ground and mounted in time for the water chestnuts.

5) Doing excellent in spinach growing with borage, comfrey and mint in
what was a awfully bare, hard garden. Simply piled on mountains of rabbit
droppings and left it for a year to mulch down.

6) Chief gardner has planted a pile of Kale surrounded by peas on a short
trellis(aka nusiance arch of slad mesh that cluttered up the place.

7) Broadbeans are going great although I am wondering just how we are
going to dig in the green mulch that they were planted into.

8) Hacked off the last of the old wood on the last rose out in the front
garden. That completes the five year plant to completely renew its wood.

9) Still to bolt together the new garden steps. these were made from old
"railway sleepers" so that people(CG mainly) does not step on tin garden
edge and bring it all down.

So, who's hibernating and who's active?

Mostly hibernating as it gets cold and windy here at times.

The active part is turning over a five feet mound of soil that was a
2mx2m raised garden bed and was topped by a couple of cubic metres from
compost bins. I work the edge which mixes the compost bit with the old
hard garden soil from the bed. It all gets thrown onto a 1" sloping mesh
that sieves out the chunky bits that went into the compost bins.

Eventualy I'll produce enough soil to cover a 2m x 6m area and will be
able to pull up all the side walls for the old unsuccessful raised garden
bed idea.

--

Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:23 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:

Which reminds me, I have 2 x "Black Boy" climbing roses that I must plant
in the next few days.

News of other peoples' roses is exciting!

:-)) Don't get me started 'cos I could go in the Boring Olympics
representing Aus when it comes to roses.

[...]

I love Mr Lincoln, and Papa Meilland. The perfume of both is just drool
making.

Other than that (this pair is at the front of the house), our raised bed
contains fourteen favourites, including Double Delight, Woburn Abbey, Lady
X, Pascali etc etc. I've warned my husband that if the bed is a roaring
success, we'll be needing another one very soon. Varieties I'm looking
out for include St Patrick (yellow), Catherine McCauley (pale pink), John
F. Kennedy (white) and City of Newcastle (red).

I haven't seen it for years but one I've alwyas loved is "Eiffel Tower" -
plae pink, long stemmed and keeps that pointy rose bud look to it. should
see if I can find it, I guess - not that I need any more - I stoped counting
when I hit 112 roses in the garden.

Before I shuddup on the subject of roses, it occurred to me to ask whether
others have had much success with miniature varieties? I've been growing
roses since I was about twelve years old ('way back in the dark ages), but
I've never yet been able to keep a miniature alive past a single season.
They just seem to shrivel up and kark it, dying back and back until
there's nothing left.

Never had a problem with them unless I plant them in pots. In the ground
they do well; in a pot they sulk and then die. You probably arent' ignoring
them enough. that's what I do with mine and just take to them with the
hedge shears now and then.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Loosecanon" wrote in message

Waiting for the warmer weather and have started to buy some seeds. Got
some Kale which i could probably plant now. There is also Okra (never
tried it b4), radish and I got some white sage.

You have been busy! But tell me, what are you planning to do with the OKra?

I too have been eyeing it off in the seed cattle dogs, but the only thing I
know about it is that its supposed to mulicaginous and that it is an
ingredient in gumbo.

Since I'm not overly mad on snot textured things and I've never tried gumbo,
I'm curious about your plans. 'Spose I can always give it some garden room
and work from there as I'm sure there'll be a Yank somewhere on usenet who'd
trip over themselves to tell me what to do with it (foodwise as opposed to
jamming it wise).

Old 08-07-2009, 07:37 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message

i think the miniatures are more prone to fungal disease & are generally a
bit more delicate; what you describe could be fungal. i don't think i've
ever seen one that's not covered in black spot :-)

I just raced outside to see if mine had any black spot and not a leaf to be
seen, but I'm pretty sure mine haven't been afflicted with BS.

When summer comes, come over to lunch one day and we'll check them out.

concerning roses in general, i'm not a fan of them it must be said, but we
have an old-fashioned-looking thornless climbing (rambling??) one with wee
butter yellow flowers in clumps - i find it really beautiful! and because
it's been forced to look after itself for quite some time now, it's very
healthy. to celebrate this fact, i might give it a prune this winter (i
let it go a bit berserk last year with all those shoots that come off the
sides).

Sounds like a Banksia rose???

I've recently started buying Alister Clark roses - he was an Australian rose
breeder and found they are brilliant for Australian conditions.

The "Black Boy"s I mentioned previously are his and I also have a "Lorraine
Lee" climber over the chook pen fence and it is superb - just keep
sflowering and hides a rather ghastly fence very well. I did no ground prep
at all for it and its in what was formerly paddock land and hard and hungry
soil at that. It's thrived.

I'm not especially fond of many roses but I love the old ones and I love the
smell and form of some of the Hybrid Teas and i think if I could only ever
have one rose, it might have to be Cecile Brunner - such a dear little rose
but as tough as old boots.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message

i'm hibernating.

actually, i've made a concious decision to ignore the garden as much as i
can for winter, because otherwise it overwhelms me with
things-that-have-to-be-done. :-)

it's just too cold atm for me to even think about planting anything but i
might put in some rocket & stuff in a while if i feel like it. i'm keeping
up with the weeding to facilitate the chooks getting their greens but
that's about all i'm doing.

in autumn, i had a bucket full of coriander seed that i couldn't seem to
organise planting anywhere, so i threw it around in a few garden beds &
now we have more coriander than i think i have ever seen!

Ditto! Mine self seeded all over the end of one bed and into the path at
the end of last summer and its growing beatifully ATM.

there are lots of veg kicking along nicely (things that like winter,
obviously) but for the most part i'm ignoring everything unless eating
it - there's enough rain to water them & i mulched for winter long ago of
course. anyway, i'm finding it a convenient time to be run off my feet
with other things beside the garden.

i find winter extraordinarily difficult tbh. it's just so cold here & when
there's been 3 days without sunlight i start to lose my mind.

Yep. All that sodding cloud and not a drop of real rain - **** ghastly
mizzle at the best!

Today I weeded the asparagus bed and half of one of the veg beds. tomorrow
I'll spread horse poop and leaves on the weeded veg bed and give the
asparagus a dose of dolomite.