Old 05-08-2009, 11:01 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default When to pick oranges

Hi

I am in Perth and have a heavily laden navel orange tree, I want to know how
do I know when the fruit is truly ripe.
Last year we picked fruit only to find they looked ripe but were still a bit
sour.
Thanks
Sandra

Old 05-08-2009, 12:05 PM posted to aus.gardens

Sandra Bodycoat wrote:
Hi

I am in Perth and have a heavily laden navel orange tree, I want to know how
do I know when the fruit is truly ripe.
Last year we picked fruit only to find they looked ripe but were still a bit
sour.
Thanks
Sandra

colour and feel , should be an even colour and of course not like a rock
, then try one some oranges will always be a little tart but table
ripening helps

Old 05-08-2009, 02:53 PM posted to aus.gardens

Sandra Bodycoat wrote:
Thanks that all makes sense, I would just hate to waste them, they look
fabulous.

I hope they go well , do you know which type ?

I have a nice peach tree from a very old breed which is going nuts and
every limb is laden with huge hard fruit... I sure hope the bats don't
get to them (Brisbane)

Old 05-08-2009, 04:41 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 18:01:51 +0800, Sandra Bodycoat wrote:

Hi

I am in Perth and have a heavily laden navel orange tree, I want to know
how do I know when the fruit is truly ripe. Last year we picked fruit
only to find they looked ripe but were still a bit sour.

When ALL the greeness is gone from the fruit. Look closely. Pick one and
try it for sweetness.

--

Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec 7 7[_2_] View Post

Sandra Bodycoat wrote:
Hi

I am in Perth and have a heavily laden navel orange tree, I want to know
how do I know when the fruit is truly ripe.
Last year we picked fruit only to find they looked ripe but were still a
bit sour.
Thanks
Sandra

colour and feel , should be an even colour and of course not like a rock ,
then try one some oranges will always be a little tart but table
ripening helps

This title reminds me that ''Pick an Orange Project '' last year, which aims to raise £12,000 to help record, develop and launch this exciting debut album by selling virtual segments of the tracks.
'' Pick an Orange '' is a nice title.
__________________
http://www.sendacow.org.uk
Old 07-08-2009, 04:21 AM posted to aus.gardens

I used to have a mandarin tree, and my (grown up) daughter is so nuts
about mandis I could get weeks of entertainment out of her by
suggesting, week after week, that she pick one to see how it was. She'd
also eat the sour ones, with fantastic facial expressions, each week
announcing they were better than the week before. Could go on for weeks
like this! She finally got wise to me and told me to taste test them
myself...

Old 07-08-2009, 07:12 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 13:21:04 +1000, jules wrote:

I used to have a mandarin tree, and my (grown up) daughter is so nuts
about mandis I could get weeks of entertainment out of her by
suggesting, week after week, that she pick one to see how it was. She'd
also eat the sour ones, with fantastic facial expressions, each week
announcing they were better than the week before. Could go on for weeks
like this! She finally got wise to me and told me to taste test them
myself...

lol, swmbo wrinkles her eyebrows when she eats sour stuff. so citrus is
usually all mine.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Sandra Bodycoat" wrote in message
. au...
Hi

I am in Perth and have a heavily laden navel orange tree, I want to know
how do I know when the fruit is truly ripe.
Last year we picked fruit only to find they looked ripe but were still a
bit sour.
Thanks
Sandra

At this time of the year in Perth the navels have just about all gone, they
ripen in June/July and are sweet around that time.

More likely your oranges are Valencias. Good for juicing, not as good for
eating as Navels but still reasonable. I found that mine are still sour at
this time of year and don't "sweeten up" until late August/ September.