Old 27-08-2009, 06:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Upside down tomatos

I'd appreciate advice on how to make a planter for the above - retail
prices seem a bit 0ver the top!
Thanks
David
Old 27-08-2009, 10:52 AM posted to aus.gardens

"tathraman" wrote in message
I'd appreciate advice on how to make a planter for the above - retail
prices seem a bit 0ver the top!
Thanks
David

Did you post a link or am I missing something? You can't post pics on this
newsgroup! I'll have a google but hey wish I didn't need too!

Old 27-08-2009, 11:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Loosecanon" wrote in message

"tathraman" wrote in message
I'd appreciate advice on how to make a planter for the above - retail
prices seem a bit 0ver the top!
Thanks
David

Did you post a link or am I missing something? You can't post pics on this
newsgroup! I'll have a google but hey wish I didn't need too!

What the heck is an upside down tomato?

Old 27-08-2009, 12:11 PM posted to aus.gardens
anm anm is offline

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 17:52:19 +0800, Loosecanon wrote:

"tathraman" wrote in message
I'd appreciate advice on how to make a planter for the above - retail
prices seem a bit 0ver the top!
Thanks
David

Did you post a link or am I missing something? You can't post pics on
this newsgroup! I'll have a google but hey wish I didn't need too!

Have a look at:
www.instructables.com

or more particularly:
www.instructables.com/id/Home_Gardening/

You will find any number of options for making upside down planters -
with particular emphasis on tomatoes.

Haven't tried them myself as yet
Therefore can't comment on success etc.
A project for this year.
Seems pretty straight forward

Hope this helps
a nonny mouse
Old 27-08-2009, 12:14 PM posted to aus.gardens

What the heck is an upside down tomato?

You plant a tomato in a bucket with a hole in the bottom. The bucket is
suspended the normal wayup and the plant grows down. The only trick is to
not let the plant to fall out when you water etc. Have seen it but not tried
it.
HTH Jim

Old 03-09-2009, 03:29 AM posted to aus.gardens

" Dan" wrote in message
What are the advantages of planting tomatoes in this manner rather than
just in a large pot, if you do not want to put them in a garden bed?
Thanks,
Dan

never mind advantages, i don't think i even get it.

if one wants a hanging tomato plant, wouldn't you just plant it in a
suspended pot or basket?
(???)
kylie

Old 03-09-2009, 04:43 AM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:
" Dan" wrote in message
What are the advantages of planting tomatoes in this manner rather
than just in a large pot, if you do not want to put them in a garden
bed? Thanks,
Dan

never mind advantages, i don't think i even get it.

if one wants a hanging tomato plant, wouldn't you just plant it in a
suspended pot or basket?
(???)
kylie

It helps the chi flow to the fruit.

David
Old 03-09-2009, 04:55 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:
" Dan" wrote in message
What are the advantages of planting tomatoes in this manner rather
than just in a large pot, if you do not want to put them in a garden
bed? Thanks,
Dan

never mind advantages, i don't think i even get it.

if one wants a hanging tomato plant, wouldn't you just plant it in a
suspended pot or basket?
(???)
kylie

It helps the chi flow to the fruit.

lmao :-)
no, really. it was an honest question!

if it's just one of those things people do just because they can, that's
fine. (really!)
kylie

Old 03-09-2009, 05:57 AM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:
" Dan" wrote in message
What are the advantages of planting tomatoes in this manner rather
than just in a large pot, if you do not want to put them in a
garden bed? Thanks,
Dan

never mind advantages, i don't think i even get it.

if one wants a hanging tomato plant, wouldn't you just plant it in a
suspended pot or basket?
(???)
kylie

It helps the chi flow to the fruit.

lmao :-)
no, really. it was an honest question!

if it's just one of those things people do just because they can,
that's fine. (really!)
kylie

I have no idea why they do it.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:37 AM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:
" Dan" wrote in message
What are the advantages of planting tomatoes in this manner rather
than just in a large pot, if you do not want to put them in a garden
bed? Thanks,
Dan

never mind advantages, i don't think i even get it.

if one wants a hanging tomato plant, wouldn't you just plant it in a
suspended pot or basket?
(???)
kylie

It helps the chi flow to the fruit.

lmao :-)
no, really. it was an honest question!

if it's just one of those things people do just because they can, that's
fine. (really!)
kylie

I guess it is the ease of watering. Also in this case tomatoes won't need
staking. Fruit should be easy to pick. Suits those with a balcony. Also if
you have trouble growing in the ground due to nasties this sytem provides
clean soil (supposedly).

But as always is something missing. Do these plants get broken in the wind?
Do they really need to be planted it upside down... can u plant it in the
side? How effective is the wicking system? Can you grow vining type tomatoes
or are you restricted to bush tomatoes? Do you need to be in a place that
isn't windy?