Old 15-09-2009, 11:30 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Going Green

Just had 6 solar panels put on the roof. Readers outside of QLD weep total
cost $380.00
As we have to wait for Ergon to put in a new outgoing meter, atm our main
meter is running backwards for part of the day. The reason it is so cheap is
The Blight arranged a Qld special with a Gold Coast company. The rest is
made up by the feds. Who unfortunately have reduced their subsidy to $7500
from $8000, Copenhagen be damned eh????? Now that I have felt superiour for
a little while I guess it is back to watering (rain water) the vegies.
Jim

Old 20-09-2009, 12:32 PM posted to aus.gardens

the solar component the govcos are patting themselves on the back stupid over
is going to amount to nothing the way everyone is buying a plasma / whatever
big screen TV and whatever other Chinese appliantology (RIP F.Z.) to fill the
living room. Yearly power consumption per capita has soared.
The new residentials that need the power the solar is meant to save now have
less than before and the taxpayers (us good guys) have to pay the bill for
solar initiatives and desal then new power stations as required in the
future.

That's a great price for your solar all the same.
Jock

"SG1" wrote in message
: Just had 6 solar panels put on the roof. Readers outside of QLD weep total
: cost $380.00
: As we have to wait for Ergon to put in a new outgoing meter, atm our main
: meter is running backwards for part of the day. The reason it is so cheap
is
: The Blight arranged a Qld special with a Gold Coast company. The rest is
: made up by the feds. Who unfortunately have reduced their subsidy to $7500
: from $8000, Copenhagen be damned eh????? Now that I have felt superiour for
: a little while I guess it is back to watering (rain water) the vegies.
: Jim
:
:

Old 20-09-2009, 10:17 PM posted to aus.gardens

Jock
Would not Glenfiddick be more suitable? I have a small (if 32" is small)
plasma and the meter was going backwards with it running the other day.

news

Old 22-09-2009, 12:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

Glenfiddich is OK - nothing less than a single malt please!

"SG1" wrote in message
: Jock
: Would not Glenfiddick be more suitable? I have a small (if 32" is small)
: plasma and the meter was going backwards with it running the other day.
:
: "Jock" wrote in message
: news : the solar component the govcos are patting themselves on the back stupid
: over
: is going to amount to nothing the way everyone is buying a plasma /
: whatever
: big screen TV and whatever other Chinese appliantology (RIP F.Z.) to fill
: the
: living room. Yearly power consumption per capita has soared.
: The new residentials that need the power the solar is meant to save now
: have
: less than before and the taxpayers (us good guys) have to pay the bill
for
: solar initiatives and desal then new power stations as required in the
: future.
:
: That's a great price for your solar all the same.
: Jock
:
:
: "SG1" wrote in message
: ...
: : Just had 6 solar panels put on the roof. Readers outside of QLD weep
: total
: : cost $380.00
: : As we have to wait for Ergon to put in a new outgoing meter, atm our
: main
: : meter is running backwards for part of the day. The reason it is so
: cheap
: is
: : The Blight arranged a Qld special with a Gold Coast company. The rest
is
: : made up by the feds. Who unfortunately have reduced their subsidy to
: $7500
: : from $8000, Copenhagen be damned eh????? Now that I have felt superiour
: for
: : a little while I guess it is back to watering (rain water) the vegies.
: : Jim
: :
: :
:
:
:
:

Old 22-09-2009, 01:23 PM posted to aus.gardens

Re going Green.
Do what you can and "can" what you cant.
One thing is for certain, if you dont make ends meet now that prices are
reasonable, you will certainly wont be able to afford any sort of energy
when its expected everyone has green power facilities.
As the rental market is so large, it should be insisted that all rental
properties owners must make provisions for installations.
And I know what people are thinking....
But it will sertainly allow rentals to go up if power is cheaper and saves
tenants money on power....

: "Jock" wrote in message
[...]
: ...

Old 23-09-2009, 01:35 AM posted to aus.gardens

I have a solar hot water thingo - it's good. I am waiting for Kevin07 to
spring the $8k approval then we have a solar 1kW installation. I am OK with
spending my tax dollars on my day to days in this way. Just ****es me when
by the end of it all, there will be those with solar stuff and those with no
solar - purely because they cannot afford to shell out a baby bonus or two in
a good way or that as you mention - they have no say due to being a tenant.

"Jonno" wrote in message
: Re going Green.
: Do what you can and "can" what you cant.
: One thing is for certain, if you dont make ends meet now that prices are
: reasonable, you will certainly wont be able to afford any sort of energy
: when its expected everyone has green power facilities.
: As the rental market is so large, it should be insisted that all rental
: properties owners must make provisions for installations.
: And I know what people are thinking....
: But it will sertainly allow rentals to go up if power is cheaper and saves
: tenants money on power....
:
:
: "Jock" wrote in message
: ...
: Glenfiddich is OK - nothing less than a single malt please!
:
:
: ...
: : "Jock" wrote in message
[...]
: : "SG1" wrote in message
: : ...
[...]
: : :
: : :
: :
: :
: :
: :
:
:
:

Old 23-09-2009, 02:00 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jock" wrote in message
I have a solar hot water thingo - it's good. I am waiting for Kevin07 to
spring the $8k approval then we have a solar 1kW installation. I am OK
with
spending my tax dollars on my day to days in this way. Just ****es me
when
by the end of it all, there will be those with solar stuff and those with
no
solar - purely because they cannot afford to shell out a baby bonus or two
in
a good way or that as you mention - they have no say due to being a
tenant.

Jock me bonnie boy. K07 dropped the subsidy from $8K to $7.5K. Mine had to
be installed by next month to qualify. It is not working today though. Very
small town can't see the end of the street. We are getting some new topsoil
delivered from somewhere out west. The good bit is the dust will dilute the
black clay, I hope!!!!
Jim
Snipped a fair bit here.

Old 23-09-2009, 03:52 AM posted to aus.gardens

SG1 wrote:
though. Very small town can't see the end of the street. We are
getting some new topsoil delivered from somewhere out west. The good
bit is the dust will dilute the black clay, I hope!!!!

It's afternoon and I haven't seen the sun yet. The horses are all jumpy.
Perhaps a sacrifice would be in order, anybody got any spare virgins?

David

Old 23-09-2009, 04:09 AM posted to aus.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
SG1 wrote:
though. Very small town can't see the end of the street. We are
getting some new topsoil delivered from somewhere out west. The good
bit is the dust will dilute the black clay, I hope!!!!

It's afternoon and I haven't seen the sun yet. The horses are all
jumpy. Perhaps a sacrifice would be in order, anybody got any spare
virgins?

David

virgin what ?
dependant on where you are count out sheep , relatives + sisters and
other things
what's left ?
Old 23-09-2009, 04:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

atec 7 7" "atec 77 wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
SG1 wrote:
though. Very small town can't see the end of the street. We are
getting some new topsoil delivered from somewhere out west. The good
bit is the dust will dilute the black clay, I hope!!!!

It's afternoon and I haven't seen the sun yet. The horses are all
jumpy. Perhaps a sacrifice would be in order, anybody got any spare
virgins?

David

virgin what ?
dependant on where you are count out sheep , relatives + sisters and
other things
what's left ?

It's a question of price is it not? For the best effect you use a princess,
failing that a commoner. The peasants might only be able to afford a goat
or sheep. In all cases there is a problem with certification.

David

Old 23-09-2009, 07:00 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article , "atec
said...
:
avid Hare-Scott wrote:
: SG1 wrote:
: though. Very small town can't see the end of the street. We are
: getting some new topsoil delivered from somewhere out west. The good
: bit is the dust will dilute the black clay, I hope!!!!
:
: It's afternoon and I haven't seen the sun yet. The horses are all
: jumpy. Perhaps a sacrifice would be in order, anybody got any spare
: virgins?
:
: David
:virgin what ?
: dependant on where you are count out sheep , relatives + sisters and
ther things
: what's left ?

One thing is certain - your mind surely ain't no virgin.
Old 23-09-2009, 08:07 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jock" wrote in message

I have a solar hot water thingo - it's good.

What sort? We're interested in the evacuated tube sort that doesn't have a
tank on the roof but info on it seems to be a bit thin on the ground
locally.

Old 23-09-2009, 09:16 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jock" wrote in message
news
the solar component the govcos are patting themselves on the back stupid
over
is going to amount to nothing the way everyone is buying a plasma /
whatever
big screen TV and whatever other Chinese appliantology (RIP F.Z.) to fill
the
living room. Yearly power consumption per capita has soared.
The new residentials that need the power the solar is meant to save now
have
less than before and the taxpayers (us good guys) have to pay the bill for
solar initiatives and desal then new power stations as required in the
future.

That's a great price for your solar all the same.
Jock

i accept what you're saying & it TICKS ME RIGHT OFF that power suppliers (of
whatever kind) feel the need to "respond" to "consumer demand".

we have solar power chez-moi, (with a wee wind turbine that sadly doesn't do
as much as i'd like - just wait till we get a whomping great one & then
we'll be sweet!!). the system is a little old & rather small but the fact is
that it's plenty good enough because we are not connected to mains power
(this property never has been). consequently, we rapidly adjusted our
"demands" downwards when we realised what the limitations are, what we can
do & what we can't. if we wanted to use bucketloads of electricity we would
have to pay a lot of money for a lot of petrol for the generator - but far
easier, cheaper & much more desirable to downgrade our expectations & it's
simply not that we have inferior quality of life or anything like that. we
just don't burn through power like other people do, it's not worth it to us.
as our system improves, we may use more power or we may not (minimalism can
be addictive!) but the fact is that when one suffers for excess electricity
use, one rapidly adjusts downwards!

since we are all aware that massive quantities of mains power is wasted en
route to people's houses (about 10%) - and even more is wasted inside
people's houses, i think the cart has been put before the horse (quite
possibly in the name of "economic growth") & it makes me livid but i won't
go into that here :-)

the reality check that much of society is heading for rapidly is going to
come hard for some of them. but it can't come soon enough imo.

as a general comment to o.p. & everyone, a big step forward will be when
inexpensive systems are commonly installed to people's homes that have no
batteries, but rather, are simply wired into the grid & excess is stored via
the grid & power is taken via the grid. going to canberra (which i do
sometimes) always breaks my heart (tee hee), but _especially_ when one
considers that it's sunny there almost every day of the year, yet so few
residents have that type of system i have described (which is a fairly new
idea, but one that i think will go off).

if there was a law against being greedy & dumb, the questions of sufficient
clean power for everyone & questions of pollution & so forth simply wouldn't
be issues at all.
kylie

Old 23-09-2009, 09:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:
"Jock" wrote in message
[...]

As an example of waste air conditioning
we looked at the cost and decided no installing instead an idea I saw
on one of the English programs about house refurbishment
Pumping air through buried pipes results in very cool air for the cost
of burning z very small light bulb and a tiny percentage of a/c
It did involve some trenching and finding some plastic pipe being
still cheaper than just the install labour cost of one split a/c
over all an immensly satisfing outcome at least 4 times a year

( 2 metres down the earth never gets above 5 Deg C) in Brisbane
Old 23-09-2009, 10:53 AM posted to aus.gardens

: "Jock" wrote in message
:
: I have a solar hot water thingo - it's good.
:
: What sort? We're interested in the evacuated tube sort that doesn't have a
: tank on the roof but info on it seems to be a bit thin on the ground
: locally.
:
:
we got one of these: http://www.dux.com.au/products.php?name=D4F136W3AC
We have it running purely off the solar and have boosted it twice for a half
tank when it was cloudy.. Saving 11kWh per day compared to off peak 315l
system we had.. $5300 gross, $2.8k rebates from the govt.

Read up, there are lots of alternatives.