Old 28-09-2009, 07:57 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Here comes the sun!

Well in Perth at least (finally!!) Sunday was sunny and 25degs *happy sigh*

As you may all recall I bought myself a Blood Orange with the idea of
starting my own orchard.
Well as usual, I let the horse out before hitching the cart...meaning I have
yet to dig out the lawn
and then prepare the soil before even considering planting. :-(
So I'm going to have to plant the blood orange in a large pot (temporarily)
until I'm more organised.

Any tips would be most welcome!

Happy gardening
Linda (Perth)

Old 28-09-2009, 11:43 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 14:57:58 +0800, "Linda" wrote:

Well in Perth at least (finally!!) Sunday was sunny and 25degs *happy sigh*

As you may all recall I bought myself a Blood Orange with the idea of
starting my own orchard.
Well as usual, I let the horse out before hitching the cart...meaning I have
yet to dig out the lawn
and then prepare the soil before even considering planting. :-(
So I'm going to have to plant the blood orange in a large pot (temporarily)
until I'm more organised.

Any tips would be most welcome!

Make sure the pot is elevated, either on pot feet of half bricks. This stops the drainage hole blocking.

Oh, to stop the soil running out of the hole, put a bit of old flywire or shadecloth over it.

Oh (2), use a good quality potting mix, not garden mix.

Old 28-09-2009, 01:05 PM posted to aus.gardens

news
wrote:

Well in Perth at least (finally!!) Sunday was sunny and 25degs *happy
sigh*

As you may all recall I bought myself a Blood Orange with the idea of
starting my own orchard.
Well as usual, I let the horse out before hitching the cart...meaning I
have
yet to dig out the lawn
and then prepare the soil before even considering planting. :-(
So I'm going to have to plant the blood orange in a large pot
(temporarily)
until I'm more organised.

Any tips would be most welcome!

Make sure the pot is elevated, either on pot feet of half bricks. This
stops the drainage hole blocking.

Oh, to stop the soil running out of the hole, put a bit of old flywire or
shadecloth over it.

Oh (2), use a good quality potting mix, not garden mix.

Tease out the roots so they don't go around in circles. Will make it better
to transplant later.

Old 28-09-2009, 08:47 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day linda,

yes going to be a long hot dry summer for most especially up qld way,
fearless leader may have shot herself in the foot when declaring "the
drought is broken and while punching the air with fist (well sort of) and we
did it for you the people of sth/east qld" she intimated, and now 9 days of
unrestricted water use to wash dust off of homes and cars etc.,. in teh face
of teh continuing drought a brave move.

anyhow said all that to ask you this do you sue raised garden beds cuts on
the toil and the way we do ours all very easy, use lots of mulch to keep
things nicely moist and root runs nicely cooler.

len

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

snipped

Old 28-09-2009, 11:50 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 19:47:53 +0000, len wrote:

yes going to be a long hot dry summer for most especially up qld way,
fearless leader may have shot herself in the foot when declaring "the
drought is broken and while punching the air with fist (well sort of)
and we did it for you the people of sth/east qld" she intimated, and now
9 days of unrestricted water use to wash dust off of homes and cars
etc.,. in teh face of teh continuing drought a brave move.

Yep, same stupidity in Sydney. Warragamba is the lowest is has been
(recent decade), but car washing and watering anyday is now allowed.

Old 29-10-2009, 11:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Loosecanon" wrote in message

news
wrote:

[...]

Tease the roots?