Old 26-10-2009, 12:38 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default What's black, male and sings in the garden?

A handsome black bird has taken up residence in a shrub right next to the
house about 4m from my bedroom window. It has been sitting there most of
the time for the last three days sometimes making an generic 'cheep cheep'
call that is not very distinctive. Then yesterday it experimentally made a
'wurra wurra wuura' call which I recognised. I headed straight for the bird
book and there is his portrait - a male Koel. We have called him Nat of
course.

This bird is frequently heard much more than seen in east coast gardens. It
is a migratory cuckoo that mates in spring around here and winters in the
far north. The mating call, which carries for hundreds of metres, can be
given all day and night. Is the most irritating insistent crescendo of
'wooooooooop wooooooooop WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP' over and over and over again.
If he starts that in the middle of the night I am going to cut down the
shrub.

Nat is very wet and sorry for himself at the moment (it's raining yea!) and
hasn't said a thing for hours. I wonder if he could be bribed to stay
quiet, perhaps some slices of mango, a big fat grub.....

David

Old 26-10-2009, 01:47 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Or a hose if he is quiet when wet???????

Old 26-10-2009, 07:39 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'dau david,

yep and she very drab looking, and when in company if you have fruit
of any sort growing they will be wanting to eat it, very sneeky birds
that fly low and sit right in the middle of the trees making them
harder to see.

in rural i used to listen for them as they set up for a visit then
come out and shoosh them of just as they flew in, him from one
direction her from another.

comon name storm birds probably because their call was heard just
before a storm occured at sometime or other.

we have a male in our sector at present still calling for a mate.

if you grow your own fruit, tomato's whatever (they don't go for
citrus) just the soft sweet stuff, then i'd be saying distract
him/them from your garden, i also think as like most or all of the
cuckoo family they lay their eggs in other native birds nest by
dumping the native birds eggs out and laying theirs in there instead.

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 10:38:48 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 27-10-2009, 12:29 PM posted to aus.gardens

Kamahl?

Old 28-10-2009, 01:41 AM posted to aus.gardens
ted ted is offline

terryc wrote:
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 23:33:42 +0000, ted wrote:

wrote:

Kamahl?

hello rainman it's a racist joke that is ment to be funny well some find
it funny. Kamahl is an is a singer in australia that happens to have
dark skin, yes we also have racists in this country that see no wrong
in making jokes like this still in 2009

but is would be okay to ask what is white, male and sings in the garden
with a reply of John Denver (or some idol idiot)?

Get over it folks. Trying not to be rascist by stridently not describing
non-white peoples skin is rascism. You are just showing that you still
categorise people by skin colour, rather than accept it as a natural
descriptor.

Anyway, technically his skin colour isn't black, but some where in that
brown to olive range.

To get back to the subject, I'm glad his bird is a Koel. Far better than
frigging black birds(bright yellow beak) who scratch up all your
seedlings.

Are tennis ball guns illegal or not sold? My throwing arm is no good
anymore.

why not just a male that sings in the garden why the colour overtones
and don't be so naive you know exactly what was meant, but lets pretend
its nothing and then all act amazed when there are race riots smh or
the nazis are back with their racist propaganda and all sit round
shaking our heads saying how the hell did this happen.

abigail

abigail
Old 28-10-2009, 02:55 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 00:41:33 +0000, ted wrote:

Are tennis ball guns illegal or not sold? My throwing arm is no good
anymore.

ps a blind eye is not always the answer

I was thinking more of a dead black bird to mulch my garden.

Old 28-10-2009, 02:57 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 00:41:10 +0000, ted wrote:

why not just a male that sings in the garden

Because the list of male birds that sing in my garden would have more
names than you have years. YMMV

Old 28-10-2009, 04:16 AM posted to aus.gardens
ted ted is offline

terryc wrote:
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 00:41:10 +0000, ted wrote:

why not just a male that sings in the garden

Because the list of male birds that sing in my garden would have more
names than you have years. YMMV

the ONLY two names that came up in this thread are kamahl and ernie
dingo, now terry tell me again that is not racist or has racial
overtones then justify it with your oh well attitude. You may find it
so terribly boring but i wonder when they finish with the others and
they go after you if you will be so glib then. One would hope you are
not met with the same inane comments if the shoe was on the other foot.

Abigail
Old 28-10-2009, 04:32 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 03:16:20 +0000, ted wrote:

terryc wrote:
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 00:41:10 +0000, ted wrote:

why not just a male that sings in the garden

Because the list of male birds that sing in my garden would have more
names than you have years. YMMV

the ONLY two names that came up in this thread are kamahl and ernie
dingo,

Where was Ernie?
Is he a singer?
And I did post "John Denver".

now terry tell me again that is not racist

Well, it actually tells you a lot about the posters age, nationality and
background. Just as your posts tell me a lot about mental state.

Okay, I You may find it
so terribly boring but i wonder when they finish with the others and
they go after you if you will be so glib then. One would hope you are
not met with the same inane comments if the shoe was on the other foot.

WTF? Time for a reality check. The P2P sources have a movie called "Star
Wars - The environmentalist version" . Download it, have a laugh and then
feel sad that it is so true.

Old 28-10-2009, 04:57 AM posted to aus.gardens
ted ted is offline

terryc wrote:
[...]

i am sorry for you as you just don't get it you really don't but back
you go to your own small world and as for my state of mind are you sure
you aren't doing some mirroring there

abigail