Old 24-11-2009, 09:49 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Are we being conned (again)

This Vehement CO2 policy will bankrupt Australians. And it wornt do any
good
I concede that we have a world temperature increase perhaps! But I'm very
cautious about its cause.

Many years ago, well in the last 30 any. The amount of co2 in the atmosphere
was 300ppm + or - 10 now it is 350ppm why has not the temperature increased
by a similar amount? the average is about 290Kelvin why is it not
330-3340K????? Why am I a skeptic?????

We have a strong La Nina effect at the moment.

La Niña translates from Spanish as "the girl-child". The term "La Niña" has recently become the conventional meteorological label for the opposite of the better known El Niño.

The term La Niña refers to the extensive cooling of the central and eastern Pacific Ocean.

In Australia (particularly eastern Australia), La Niña events are associated with increased probability of wetter conditions.

Changes to the atmosphere and ocean circulation during La Niña events include:

a.. Cooler than normal ocean temperatures across the central and eastern tropical Pacific Ocean.
b.. Increased convection or cloudiness over tropical Australia, Papua New-Guinea, and Indonesia.
c.. Stronger than normal (easterly) trade winds across the Pacific Ocean (but not necessarily in the Australian region).
d.. High (positive) values of the SOI (Southern Oscillation Index).

A La Niña event is sometimes called an anti-ENSO (anti-El Niño-Southern Oscillation) event.

Old 24-11-2009, 01:19 PM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno wrote:
This Vehement CO2 policy will bankrupt Australians. And it wornt do
any good
I concede that we have a world temperature increase perhaps! But
I'm very cautious about its cause.

Many years ago, well in the last 30 any. The amount of co2 in the
atmosphere was 300ppm + or - 10 now it is 350ppm why has not the
temperature increased by a similar amount? the average is about
290Kelvin why is it not 330-3340K????? Why am I a skeptic?????

This is a strawman argument. As far as I know no climate scientist says
that the average global temperature in degrees Kelvin should be proportional
to the CO2 fraction in the atmosphere starting from 30 years ago. The real
relationship is quite complex, don't expect it to say that a x% increase in
Co2 means a x% increase in temperature. Just because this relationship that
SG1 has presented fails doesn't mean anything about the reliability of
current climate models..

We have a strong La Nina effect at the moment.

Why do you say that? This mob:

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/enso/

say we are still in ENSO.

The debate will be enriched if we all take time to try to check facts before
posting.

David

Old 24-11-2009, 01:45 PM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Jonno wrote:
[...]

Yes youre right. Thanks you for correcting me.
I made a mistake in my enthusiasm for some good news, I didnt read the darn
date....

But there is more rain forecast as a conseqence.

How this fares for the next few months, I would like to know.