Old 23-11-2009, 09:16 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Chainsaw recommendation

I have 43 acres/17 hectares about an hour north of Perth. About 10 years ago
planted about 200 wattles, some gums, casuarina's, weeping peppermints and a
few other things. I must have done something right as the local stuff grew
twice as high as they should. Some have encroached into the firebreaks and
they have a nice crop of veldt grass underneath. I have about 12 dead trees
to remove.

I have a Deutscher H26 it is wonderful on the weeds but this section I can't
get into with the lower tree branches most of which are dead. This is due to
a lack of light and some pruning done at the end of the branches at
firebreak time. My neighbour has a 3 sawblade affair that connects to
hydraulics on his dozer but they don't go back to the tree trunk like I
want. The other thing is the dozer can only do the perimeter

So I need a reliable chainsaw that will cut through the lower branches some
of which are 4 inches/100 mm thick. It will also need to remove the dead
trees which have trunks 8 inches/ 200 mm thick. Just want something gutsy
that I am not spending ages on a tree branch. Would prefer secondhand to
save on costs. I have a 16 inch Homelite chainsaw but it won't look at this!
I have had a McCulloch in the past but it was a crap model that needed parts
all the time. What would suit the job, something bigger like a 20 inch and
what make and model is a good one with spare parts still availabe? Oh
something that has fuel and oil that is easy to get at too. Any help would
be much appreciated :c)

Anyone know how to eliminate African Lovegrass?

Cheers

Rick

Old 23-11-2009, 01:54 PM posted to aus.gardens

Loosecanon wrote:
[...]

Stihl 090
if you are up to it
Old 25-11-2009, 09:24 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
said...
:
[...]

I'd recommend a small to medium sized Stihl.
Other brands such as McCulloch and Jonserad are not worth the trouble,
IMO. Not saying they're all bad - but some models are.

Same with Husqvarnas to a lesser extent.

Just get a Stihl and play it safe

Are you likely to need a chainsaw for bigger stuff in the future?
If so, maybe a Stihl 390 would do nicely, approx. 60cc engine and 20"
bar. These are approx. $1100 new, last time I checked.

Nothing wrong with a second hand Stihl - as long as you use common sense
and check for any damage, especially to the housing. If the housing is
cracked - walk away... it's uneconomic to replace, assuming it can't be
welded. I'd also check for the condition of the chain brake and the
choke/stop lever. Make sure it works smoothly. Parts are bloody
expensive for chain saws.

I picked up an old 038 Stihl as a backup saw on eBay for $100, so that
might be one place to keep an eye out for a cheap chainsaw.

Old 25-11-2009, 10:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jeßus" wrote in message
In article ,
said...
:
[...]

Yep You could kill for a Stihl (even with a stihl.) the best chansaw around.
Parts and service are next to none!
Correct clean fuel mixes are very important, as someone I know found out
when I fixed his.

Are you likely to need a chainsaw for bigger stuff in the future?
If so, maybe a Stihl 390 would do nicely, approx. 60cc engine and 20"
bar. These are approx. $1100 new, last time I checked.

Nothing wrong with a second hand Stihl - as long as you use common sense
and check for any damage, especially to the housing. If the housing is
cracked - walk away... it's uneconomic to replace, assuming it can't be
welded. I'd also check for the condition of the chain brake and the
choke/stop lever. Make sure it works smoothly. Parts are bloody
expensive for chain saws.

I picked up an old 038 Stihl as a backup saw on eBay for $100, so that
might be one place to keep an eye out for a cheap chainsaw.

Request Poulan chainsaw Carb Tune-Up Procedure Ken Shelton Lawns 2 18-11-2009 01:48 AM
Chainsaw Recall Chris Lawns 0 09-05-2003 02:20 PM
Performance Power Chainsaw Rocket United Kingdom 1 23-03-2003 09:32 AM
Buying a petrol chainsaw Mike United Kingdom 13 22-03-2003 11:29 AM
Chainsaw Keith Swaine United Kingdom 0 18-10-2002 09:39 PM