Old 29-11-2009, 12:57 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Good news and bad news

Two weeks ago I took off the crop from our early apricot. They were
beautiful, juicy and luscious. Yesterday I checked the middle apricot (the
next one due to ripen) and found they were ripening already where normally
they wouldn't be ready for another 2 weeks. Sadly in the last week the
dreaded fly has arrived and caught me by surprise. I had to destroy most of
them. Sigh.

David

Old 29-11-2009, 04:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Two weeks ago I took off the crop from our early apricot. They were
beautiful, juicy and luscious. Yesterday I checked the middle apricot
(the next one due to ripen) and found they were ripening already where
normally they wouldn't be ready for another 2 weeks. Sadly in the last
week the dreaded fly has arrived and caught me by surprise. I had to
destroy most of them. Sigh.

:-(( You have my sympathy for the loss of your apricots.

You get frost where you live? I've often wondered if I could get a crop of
apricots here but wonder about our savage and frequently late frosts.

Old 29-11-2009, 05:14 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Two weeks ago I took off the crop from our early apricot. They were
beautiful, juicy and luscious. Yesterday I checked the middle
apricot (the next one due to ripen) and found they were ripening
already where normally they wouldn't be ready for another 2 weeks. Sadly
in the last week the dreaded fly has arrived and caught me by
surprise. I had to destroy most of them. Sigh.

:-(( You have my sympathy for the loss of your apricots.

You get frost where you live? I've often wondered if I could get a
crop of apricots here but wonder about our savage and frequently late
frosts.

Yes we get several hard frosts each winter normally but not this last one,
only a few mild frosts. We are on the borderline for citrus, having lost
quite a few young trees to frost in the first few years. So far we haven't
had a false spring that brings on flowering and budding in the stone fruit
which is followed by a frost that kills the buds. It seems we have struck
it lucky with enough winter chilling for the pome and stone fruit but not so
much that citrus are impossible.

David