Old 05-12-2009, 01:51 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Zucchini blossom end rot

On 4/12/2009 11:46 PM, Jonthe Fly wrote:
Jonthe Fly wrote:
Jonthe Fly wrote:
hope this helps....

http://www.nt.gov.au/d/Content/File/...t_Pest/479.pdf

Thanks. None of the listed ways that insufficient calcium would be
available seem to apply. I may just continue cutting most of them
small (zucchini flowers are very "in" you know) and leave a few to
grow, or not, and await developments.

David

OK a longer check off list needs to be made it seems.
No heavy winds or sudden rain after a period of drought?

No, puzzling isn't it.

I also found this, in the Net, which tends to give me the clue I was

looking for.. I suspect I'm right.

Q: I had a gardener ask me why the blossoms would suddenly fall off

his tomato plants. Can you explain that one? Also, why would cucumbers
suddenly quit blooming? (Mandan, N.D.)

A: One answer to both questions, high temperatures and a lack of

adequate moisture. While both like warm temperatures, the hot weather
we've been having and the lack of consistent rainfall will cause both
blossom abortion and non blooming. Even our zucchini plants are way down
on production this year and that's saying something!
More on Zucchini's

Most fruiting vegetables do best in full sun all day --- they need at
least 6 to 8 hours of sunlight.
Also extremely hot temperatures during flowering above 85 degrees can
reduce fruit set.

The most common is a mid summer heat wave. High day and night time
temperatures will cause plant stress. The tiny pollinated fruit may
abort as a result. A heat wave can also deter bees from their job,
making hand pollination more important.. which is what you've done.
Pollination will be more successful if several male flowers are used to
pollinate one female flower. Pollination needs to be made to all
segments of the female flower. Do this before 10 a.m. because
pollination carried out at the end of the morning during warm weather
has very little chance of success because the pollen will have heated up
and fermented and will no longer be viable. At the bottom of the blossom
of a female is a tiny vegetable or fruit (ovary). If the blossom is male
there is nothing there. Here's a picture & instructions:
http://www.pumpkinnook.com/howto/pollen.…

Zucchini blossom end rot David Hare-Scott[_2_] Edible Gardening 24 15-12-2009 05:23 AM
Zucchini blossom end rot David Hare-Scott[_2_] Australia 26 15-12-2009 05:23 AM
rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 08:56 PM
tomato "blossom end rot" what to do? (thanks) Lynn Coffelt Edible Gardening 3 12-05-2003 03:32 AM
tomato "blossom end rot" what to do? (long) Frogleg Edible Gardening 3 01-05-2003 04:32 AM