Old 18-12-2009, 11:55 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Holiday fun - a quiz on fruits and veges

I made this up for my own amusement and to annoy my family over Christmas
dinner so thought I might share. One or two questions are in nearly every
trivia list to do with fruits and vegetables. One or two are quite arcane.
If you know six or more you are probably an experienced gardener. If you
know them all without peeking at a reference you probably have a garden a
bit like mine and read the same books. Enjoy.

(1) Most fruits and vegetables shed their seeds from fruits or pods before
the seed germinates and the seed then germinates in or on the ground. Name
one that has seeds that regularly germinate inside the fruit.

(2) Which common fruit has its seeds on the outside?

(3) Which two common vegetables that are grown for eating different parts of
the plant are the same species?

(4) Name three common edible plants, whose edible part is not a fruit, that
are usually grown as perennials.

(5) Since potatoes are grown from seed potatoes (tubers) which are the same
as the parent how is it possible to breed new varieties of potato?

(6) Which member of the citrus family has fruit that are often enjoyed
whole, that is skin and all?

(7) There are two vegetables that have a name in common but are completely
different. What are they and which part of the plant is consumed in each
case?

(8) Bananas do not grow on trees. Explain.

(9) The chances are that you will never see the fruit of the medlar tree in
your supermarket because it has not been developed as a commercial crop like
its relatives the apple and pear. Why?

(10) The rosella can be made into an unusual vibrant purple cordial or jam.
What part of the plant is so used?

David

Old 19-12-2009, 04:50 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
I made this up for my own amusement and to annoy my family over Christmas
dinner so thought I might share. One or two questions are in nearly every
trivia list to do with fruits and vegetables. One or two are quite arcane.
If you know six or more you are probably an experienced gardener. If you
know them all without peeking at a reference you probably have a garden a
bit like mine and read the same books. Enjoy.

(10) The rosella can be made into an unusual vibrant purple cordial or
jam. What part of the plant is so used?

I will take #10 for 300, Alex,... that would be the flower aka, Hibiscus
rosa sabdariffa.

Old 19-12-2009, 04:52 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"gunner" wrote in message
access...

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
I made this up for my own amusement and to annoy my family over Christmas
dinner so thought I might share. One or two questions are in nearly every
trivia list to do with fruits and vegetables. One or two are quite
arcane. If you know six or more you are probably an experienced gardener.
If you know them all without peeking at a reference you probably have a
garden a bit like mine and read the same books. Enjoy.

(10) The rosella can be made into an unusual vibrant purple cordial or
jam. What part of the plant is so used?

I will take #10 for 300, Alex,... that would be the flower aka, Hibiscus
rosa sabdariffa.

Correction: what is the flower Hibiscus rosa sabdariffa.

Old 19-12-2009, 09:21 AM posted to aus.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
I made this up for my own amusement and to annoy my family over
Christmas dinner so thought I might share. One or two questions are in
nearly every trivia list to do with fruits and vegetables. One or two
are quite arcane. If you know six or more you are probably an
experienced gardener. If you know them all without peeking at a
reference you probably have a garden a bit like mine and read the same
books. Enjoy.

This was great fun! Thank you! When do we get to see the answers???

(1) Most fruits and vegetables shed their seeds from fruits or pods
before the seed germinates and the seed then germinates in or on the
ground. Name one that has seeds that regularly germinate inside the fruit.

Pumpkin

(2) Which common fruit has its seeds on the outside?

Strawberry

(3) Which two common vegetables that are grown for eating different
parts of the plant are the same species?

Capsicum and pepper? (don't quite get what you mean by the question...
could it be globe and jerusalem artichoke?)

(4) Name three common edible plants, whose edible part is not a fruit,
that are usually grown as perennials.

Silverbeet, rhubarb, celery

(5) Since potatoes are grown from seed potatoes (tubers) which are the
same as the parent how is it possible to breed new varieties of potato?

In the usual way: selective cross-pollination and collection/germination
of seeds.

(6) Which member of the citrus family has fruit that are often enjoyed
whole, that is skin and all?

Cumquat

(7) There are two vegetables that have a name in common but are
completely different. What are they and which part of the plant is
consumed in each case?

Jerusalem artichoke (roots) and Globe artichoke (flowers/bracts).

(8) Bananas do not grow on trees. Explain.

Bananas are monocots (floral parts in multiples of three) and 'trees'
are dicots (floral parts in multiples of four or five).

(9) The chances are that you will never see the fruit of the medlar tree
in your supermarket because it has not been developed as a commercial
crop like its relatives the apple and pear. Why?

Because it must be almost rotting before it's ready to eat.

(10) The rosella can be made into an unusual vibrant purple cordial or
jam. What part of the plant is so used?

Calyx (sepals)

David

;-D Got any more???

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Old 19-12-2009, 10:35 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

I'll give it a go, before reading anyone else's responses.

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

(1) Most fruits and vegetables shed their seeds from fruits or pods before
the seed germinates and the seed then germinates in or on the ground. Name
one that has seeds that regularly germinate inside the fruit.

I can't wait to see the answers on this because I have no idea, and this
sounds intriguing. Watch it end up being something really obvious that
everyone else knows.

(2) Which common fruit has its seeds on the outside?

Strawberry.

(3) Which two common vegetables that are grown for eating different parts
of the plant are the same species?

Carrot and dill? I know they are related, but I don't know if they are the
same species. Or cabbage and broccoli?

(4) Name three common edible plants, whose edible part is not a fruit,
that are usually grown as perennials.

Artichoke, asparagus, horseradish.

(5) Since potatoes are grown from seed potatoes (tubers) which are the
same as the parent how is it possible to breed new varieties of potato?

Don't know.

(6) Which member of the citrus family has fruit that are often enjoyed
whole, that is skin and all?

Kumquats.

(7) There are two vegetables that have a name in common but are completely
different. What are they and which part of the plant is consumed in each
case?

Radish and horseradish? The root is eaten in both cases.

(8) Bananas do not grow on trees. Explain.

Bananas are herbs.

(9) The chances are that you will never see the fruit of the medlar tree
in your supermarket because it has not been developed as a commercial crop
like its relatives the apple and pear. Why?

Because it has to ferment before it is eaten, and this would be hard to
gauge commercially?

(10) The rosella can be made into an unusual vibrant purple cordial or
jam. What part of the plant is so used?

The petals?

Good questions. I look forward to learning how well I did on the quiz!
--S.

Old 20-12-2009, 09:56 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default a quiz on fruits and veges - some answers

These are the answers that I know. In some cases there are probably more
examples than I have given that would be correct.

(1) Most fruits and vegetables shed their seeds from fruits or pods
before the seed germinates and the seed then germinates in or on the
ground. Name one that has seeds that regularly germinate inside the
fruit.

Choko (alligator pear, chayote, Sechium edule), coconut.

(2) Which common fruit has its seeds on the outside?

Everyone knows this one: strawberry

(3) Which two common vegetables that are grown for eating different
parts of the plant are the same species?

The may be more but I had in mind beet (beetroot, sugarbeet) and Swiss chard
(chard, silverbeet) which are both Beta vulgaris, they are generally grown
for the root and the leaf respectively but obviously you can eat both parts
of both. An interesting example of cultivars derived by selective breeding.

(4) Name three common edible plants, whose edible part is not a
fruit, that are usually grown as perennials.

Rhubarb, asparagus, globe artichoke. If you want to include herbs and
spices, horseradish and many others.

(5) Since potatoes are grown from seed potatoes (tubers) which are
the same as the parent how is it possible to breed new varieties of
potato?

A bit of a trick question - sorry. New varieties are bred by cross
pollination and selection from plants grown from seed. Just because the
flowers and seeds are insignificant and they are usually grown from tubers
doesn't mean they have to be.

(6) Which member of the citrus family has fruit that are often enjoyed
whole, that is skin and all?

Kumquat or cumquat. Although I have a horse that eats oranges whole.

(7) There are two vegetables that have a name in common but are
completely different. What are they and which part of the plant is
consumed in each case?

Globe artichoke (Cynara cardunculus) a thistle whose the immature flower
buds are eaten and Jerusalem artichoke (Helianthus tuberosus) a sunflower
where you eat the tuber.

(8) Bananas do not grow on trees. Explain.

The bananas plant is a herbaceous flowering plant whose stem is rolled
leaves. It does not have any woody tissue like a tree and botanically it is
not a tree.

(9) The chances are that you will never see the fruit of the medlar
tree in your supermarket because it has not been developed as a
commercial crop like its relatives the apple and pear. Why?

The fruit must be bletted before it is eaten which means ripened to the
point of softness. When ripened like this the flesh appears brown and pulpy
which is usually associated with rotten or very overripe fruit. It is a
matter of definition whether it is rotten or just looks like it. The
texture is unattractive and they are not a great joy to eat raw. However,
they make excellent brilliant orange-red jelly which smells like a spiced
apple. Given the emphasis on appearance in supermarket fruits I cannot see
medlars ever making it there.

(10) The rosella can be made into an unusual vibrant purple cordial
or jam. What part of the plant is so used?

The calyx of the flowers.

David