Old 20-12-2009, 07:37 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default vinegar for weeds?

i was just surprised to read in the smh you can spray weeds with white
vinegar, (to kill them, not to make them taste better ;-)

surprised, because i haven't ever heard such a thing!!!

has anyone tried this? i am having increasing problems with sheep sorrel &
had intended to spray them with zero once the leaves are growing again, but
would be more than pleased to give vinegar a go instead. i'm not big on zero
but i can't think of a better way to deal with the sheep sorrel, which is
becoming out of control & virtually impossible to clear by hand-weeding &
grows in places that can't be solarised. i also get some kind of weedy
clover thing in my paths, which annoys me beyond endurance.

thanks in advance~
kylie

Old 20-12-2009, 10:13 AM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:
i was just surprised to read in the smh you can spray weeds with white
vinegar, (to kill them, not to make them taste better ;-)

surprised, because i haven't ever heard such a thing!!!

has anyone tried this? i am having increasing problems with sheep sorrel &
had intended to spray them with zero once the leaves are growing again, but
would be more than pleased to give vinegar a go instead. i'm not big on zero
but i can't think of a better way to deal with the sheep sorrel, which is
becoming out of control & virtually impossible to clear by hand-weeding &
grows in places that can't be solarised. i also get some kind of weedy
clover thing in my paths, which annoys me beyond endurance.

thanks in advance~
kylie

I reckon white vinegar won't help anything growing nearby and if you use
enough of it, it might wind up changing the pH of your soil. My granny
used boiling water on stubborn weeds and it was 100% effective. Not very
nice for the worms, though...

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 20-12-2009, 11:06 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
i was just surprised to read in the smh you can spray weeds with white
vinegar, (to kill them, not to make them taste better ;-)

surprised, because i haven't ever heard such a thing!!!

has anyone tried this? i am having increasing problems with sheep sorrel &
had intended to spray them with zero once the leaves are growing again,
but would be more than pleased to give vinegar a go instead. i'm not big
on zero but i can't think of a better way to deal with the sheep sorrel,
which is becoming out of control & virtually impossible to clear by
hand-weeding & grows in places that can't be solarised. i also get some
kind of weedy clover thing in my paths, which annoys me beyond endurance.

Gardening Aus recently had a show where the elderly chap in Qld (Colin by
name if I got his name right) had a whole lot of organic solutions for
probs. One of the organic solutions was the vinegar weedkiller, but it's
not just vinegar. The recipe is 1 Cup cooking salt (not iodised) dissolves
in a Litre vinegar - brush on weeds and dont' get it on anything else
because he says it'll kill it.

The other organic solution he had which we're now trialling is to stop
grasshoppers which was 1 Cup molasses dissolved in 1 litre of water and
sprayed on plant foliage - this solution seems to actually be working.

But back to the f***ing sheep sorrel! I too have a problem with it but more
in my paths than in my beds (generally). One bed does have a problem with
it but I didn't prepare that bed at all well and one thing I've found with
sheep sorrel is that it really doesn't seem to like well prepared beds - it
grows best in shit soil. I've also found that Roundup does not kill it.

Sorrel in paddocks is always an indication to farmers that they need to
apply lime. We did that on a paddock of our other farm and that has
certainly worked well in the paddock - you dont' look across the paddock now
and see that typical red tinge of the sorrel flowering - it's still there of
course but the other species are more dominant now. It works to some extent
to check it so you might try adding lots of dolomite and see if that helps.

Old 20-12-2009, 11:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
[...]

You know I tried that vinegar and salt and you could leave the 2 togeth for
10 years in a jar and you would have salt grains on the bottom and vinegar
on top. The salt doesn't dissolve even if you shook the jar for a week

Old 20-12-2009, 12:54 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Loosecanon" wrote in message
"0tterbot" wrote in message

i was just surprised to read in the smh you can spray weeds with white
vinegar, (to kill them, not to make them taste better ;-)

(snip)

Gardening Aus recently had a show where the elderly chap in Qld (Colin by
name if I got his name right) had a whole lot of organic solutions for
probs. One of the organic solutions was the vinegar weedkiller, but it's
not just vinegar. The recipe is 1 Cup cooking salt (not iodised)
dissolves in a Litre vinegar - brush on weeds and dont' get it on
anything else because he says it'll kill it.

(snip)

You know I tried that vinegar and salt and you could leave the 2 togeth
for 10 years in a jar and you would have salt grains on the bottom and
vinegar on top. The salt doesn't dissolve even if you shook the jar for a
week

After reading what you wrote, I went and made up the mix.

I made up 4 batches using both malt vinegar and white vinegar and using
cooking salt and iodised salt and added a teaspoon of salt to half a cup of
the vinegar. Both types of salt dissolved in both types of vinegar.

The cooking salt in the white vinegar dissolves and leaves a clear solution
that looks like water.
The Iodised salt in the white vinegar leaves an opaque liquid but all of the
salt is dissolved.
The cooking salt in the malt vinegar looks like the normal malt vinegar.
The iodised salt in the malt vinegar has tiny bubbles on top whihc
dissipates in a short time and leaves the vinegar looking slightly murky (so
probably the eqivalent of the opague look of the white vinegar).

I put the mix in glasses so that I could look at the mix from underneath and
there is no sign of undissolved salt in any of the 4 glasses.

I then wondered if it had something to do with saturation levels of salt in
the solution so I then added an additional Tablespoon of cooking and iodised
salt to each of the vinegars and that too dissolved.

I wonder if a Tablespoon plus a teaspoon of salt in a half cup of vinegar
works out to be more or less proportionally to a cup of salt in a litre.
Anyway, the salt certainly does dissolve in the vinegar at least to a much
greater extent than your post implies.

I'll use these mixes tomorrow and see if they work.

Old 20-12-2009, 04:04 PM posted to aus.gardens

. au...
"0tterbot" wrote in message

[...]

I remember now I used kerosene and salt not vinegar. I watched the gardening
australia program so maybe got it wrong as to the ingredients! Colin
Campbell went through a few that day. I might get the jar out strain it add
vinegar and plonk the kero back in. I did paint the kero on a few things and
they did curl up their toes. I may go back to the program as the ABC has the
years shows archived.

Would be interested on the outcome of vinegar and salt though.

Cheers

Richard

Old 20-12-2009, 07:45 PM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message

[...]

***

Here's the link for the fact sheet from that show.
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2748810.htm

Larry

Old 21-12-2009, 01:41 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:
[...]

well, i went without saying that you're supposed to keep it off the soil &
off other plants, trish :-) equally you need to keep zero off everything
else too... (including oneself, which wouldn't be a problem with vinegar).

My granny
used boiling water on stubborn weeds and it was 100% effective. Not very
nice for the worms, though...

boiling water is excellent for broadleaf weeds or grass clumps, that's what
i use. it will kill anything (yes, including the wee creatures nearby) but
it's just not practical for any upstanding plant, you can't get the water
onto it properly. a steamer thingy would be cool, but i'm not getting one of
those!
thanks!
kylie

Old 21-12-2009, 01:48 AM posted to aus.gardens

Gardening Aus recently had a show where the elderly chap in Qld (Colin by
name if I got his name right) had a whole lot of organic solutions for
probs. One of the organic solutions was the vinegar weedkiller, but it's
not just vinegar. The recipe is 1 Cup cooking salt (not iodised)
dissolves in a Litre vinegar - brush on weeds and dont' get it on anything
else because he says it'll kill it.

well, that's the effect i'd be hoping for ;-)

[...]

well, i can do that no worries, thank you.

what i can also try today is applying a bit of vinegar (without salt) to
something, & see what happens. well, in fact i can try a vinegar & salt as
well, (i have cooking salt but not all that much vinegar) if i get to it.
apparently, i'm meant to be painting my house, not fussing about the weeds!

in reality it's so dry i have hardly any weeds anyway. but the sheep sorrel
seems not to care about such things - it's having a grand old time.

i'm curious if anyone knows - does the vinegar or vinegar/salt work like
zero does by entering the cambium system & thus travelling round the plant
(to kill it all plus its runners) or is it like boiling water where only the
contacted parts will die?

thanks!
kylie

Old 21-12-2009, 01:53 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Larry" wrote in message

I remember now I used kerosene and salt not vinegar. I watched the
gardening
australia program so maybe got it wrong as to the ingredients! Colin
Campbell went through a few that day. I might get the jar out strain it
add
vinegar and plonk the kero back in. I did paint the kero on a few things
and
they did curl up their toes.

i'd have assumed that kero would kill plants, even without salt...(?) i
don't want to use kero, though!!!! salt will also kill plants too, but i
think you'd make a much bigger problem than you started with, once the soil
was salty. also, it would take ages to even work, presumably. i'm kind of
wondering what extra benefit the salt confers... does anyone know?
kylie

Old 21-12-2009, 02:24 AM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:
"Larry" wrote in message

I remember now I used kerosene and salt not vinegar. I watched the
gardening
australia program so maybe got it wrong as to the ingredients! Colin
Campbell went through a few that day. I might get the jar out strain it
add
vinegar and plonk the kero back in. I did paint the kero on a few things
and
they did curl up their toes.

i'd have assumed that kero would kill plants, even without salt...(?) i
don't want to use kero, though!!!! salt will also kill plants too, but i
think you'd make a much bigger problem than you started with, once the soil
was salty. also, it would take ages to even work, presumably. i'm kind of
wondering what extra benefit the salt confers... does anyone know?
kylie

Years ago when my son was at art school, we had a sudden wholesale death
of the awful weeds that kept growing up between the sandstone cobbles of
our front path. What could be doing it???? Those weeds were awful
stubborn and included a good old Scotch Thistle, which I defy anyone to
pull up with his hands.

Turns out, sonny-boy had been emptying his turps-and-linseed-oil mix
onto them when he'd finished painting. This worked like *mad* and we
didn't have a recurrence for years and years. They're back now, though.
And sonny-boy doesn't paint any more. Sigh... Pass the Zero...

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 21-12-2009, 04:03 AM posted to aus.gardens

Trish Brown wrote:
0tterbot wrote:
"Larry" wrote in message

[...]

raw kero or an motor spirit effect a high kill rate on webs , and the
surrounding few inches of dirt
Old 21-12-2009, 11:22 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 07:37:46 GMT, "0tterbot" wrote:

i was just surprised to read in the smh you can spray weeds with white
vinegar, (to kill them, not to make them taste better ;-)

surprised, because i haven't ever heard such a thing!!!

has anyone tried this? i am having increasing problems with sheep sorrel &
had intended to spray them with zero once the leaves are growing again, but
would be more than pleased to give vinegar a go instead. i'm not big on zero
but i can't think of a better way to deal with the sheep sorrel, which is
becoming out of control & virtually impossible to clear by hand-weeding &
grows in places that can't be solarised. i also get some kind of weedy
clover thing in my paths, which annoys me beyond endurance.

thanks in advance~
kylie

Thye have been advertising, and it IS available at Bunnings and of
course other places, Weed killer where the active ingredient is
Ascetic Acid = Vinegar

My wife heard of the white vinegar trick some months back, and yes I
can vouch that it does workl if sprayed on the weeds.
Old 23-12-2009, 02:02 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote in message
[...]

i assume that instead of $1.50 or whatever vinegar is for a big bottle, it
costs much more(?) (which would be entirely typical).

My wife heard of the white vinegar trick some months back, and yes I
can vouch that it does workl if sprayed on the weeds.

well i am keen to do it! just waiting for the sorrel leaves to start growing
again, so i can see them all & get it done properly. and lime it. i'm not
concerning myself with the path weeds atm as it's hot & the sun on the
stones makes the weeds retreat (sometimes it makes them die outright), so
again it's best to wait i reckon.
ta!
kylie