Old 21-12-2009, 10:48 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Tomato Problem

I have tomatoe plants that start off great, then when they are about 18
inches tall and quite bushy, the top leaves start turning black and curl up
and die. This then gradually spreads down the whole plant and it then dies
completely.

What is the problem and how can I stop this spreading to my other tomato
plants.

My brother who lives 200 kilometres away from me is also having the same
problem.with his tomato plants

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Norman

Old 22-12-2009, 10:24 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Norman" wrote in message
.au...
I have tomatoe plants that start off great, then when they are about 18
inches tall and quite bushy, the top leaves start turning black and curl up
and die. This then gradually spreads down the whole plant and it then dies
completely.

What is the problem and how can I stop this spreading to my other tomato
plants.

My brother who lives 200 kilometres away from me is also having the same
problem.with his tomato plants

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Norman

Pics to compare yours with known issues:

From the Texas A&M aggie site:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...problemsolver/

From Colorado:
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/Garden/02949.html

Its most likely a wilt . Possibly a blight.

Not much can be done at this stage, except a good clean up.

Don't plant Tomes there next year. Certainly try crop rotation and give good
thought to a bit of soil remediation along your philosophy lines.
I am a strong advocate of soil testing so as to have a known starting point,
rather than the traditional; a bit of this, a bit of that. There are tips in
the two references, but above all, do try more resistant plants with that
soil test.

FWIW, these are dot edu sites, not dot com, so not as many granola group
tales to sort thru.

Good luck

Old 23-12-2009, 12:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

Norman wrote:
I have tomatoe plants that start off great, then when they are about
18 inches tall and quite bushy, the top leaves start turning black
and curl up and die. This then gradually spreads down the whole plant
and it then dies completely.

What is the problem and how can I stop this spreading to my other
tomato plants.

My brother who lives 200 kilometres away from me is also having the
same problem.with his tomato plants

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Norman

This sounds like a fungal attack to me though I cannot say which one. Has
the weather been very wet and/or humid lately? There isn't much you can do
immediately except destroy the affected plants (burying away from the vege
garden is good) and replant away from the infected area. Plant with wider
spacing and tie them up religiously to allow air to circulate. Try other
cultivars because some are much more resistent to fungus than others. Also
be careful with watering. Try to keep the leaves dry and just water the
roots and avoid kicking up mud with the hose. Drippers or soakers are good
here instead of sprayers or hosing.

David

Old 23-12-2009, 11:32 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Norman wrote:
[...]

Hi,
I live in North Queensland where it is hot and humid much of the year. I had
a lot of trouble trying to grow tomatoes because of fungal attacks. The
worse was one that turned the skin transparent before the whole tomato
turned into a bag of foul smelling mush. I have been growing Roma tomatoes
with much better success. I can keep the fungus at bay with occasional
sprays of wettable sulphur. It usually gets my plants in the end, but not
before I have a good harvest. I can keep the neighbours in tomatoes for a
month or two and cook lots to put in the freezer. I tried to keep a
continuous supply by planting every three weeks, but I just gave the fungus
a continuous home.
Cheers,
Dan

Old 24-12-2009, 02:11 AM posted to aus.gardens

Thank you very much for taking the time to give me advice in such detail. I
really appreciate your help and advice.

Many thanks.

Norman

"gunner" wrote in message
access...

"Norman" wrote in message
.au...
I have tomatoe plants that start off great, then when they are about 18
inches tall and quite bushy, the top leaves start turning black and curl
up
and die. This then gradually spreads down the whole plant and it then dies
completely.

What is the problem and how can I stop this spreading to my other tomato
plants.

My brother who lives 200 kilometres away from me is also having the same
problem.with his tomato plants

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Norman

Pics to compare yours with known issues:

From the Texas A&M aggie site:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...problemsolver/

From Colorado:

Old 27-12-2009, 10:38 AM posted to aus.gardens

My ability to grow tomatoes in Adelaide, typically Grosse Lisse, got
worse and worse till I got virtually no crop at all. Apparently, this is
caused by wilts, funguses, nematodes, etc., and happens in a lot of home
gardens (even with rotation) and there's not much you can do about it
apart from changing the soil or waiting a few years.

I now grow only disease resistant tomatoes and get good crops again.
Most of the seedlings show whether they're resistant or not. Maybe they
don't taste quite so good, but they're still well ahead of store bought
(wouldn't be difficult).

Andrew

--
Andrew Gabb
email: Adelaide, South Australia
Old 07-01-2010, 12:50 PM posted to aus.gardens

On 23/12/2009 10:40 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Norman wrote:
[...]

Yep David is probiscly right, but if you had planted a fungal resistant
type, you may have avoided the problem. also antifungal sprays would
also help. This needs to be applied when fungal problems are most
prevalent. IE high humidity.
This is caused by climate change, and we need to have the Copenhagen
treaty signed before it will work. Ask David Hare Scott about this...
Higher TAXATION WILL DEFINITELY HELP WITH THIS.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:50 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 08:48:29 +1100, "Norman"
wrote:

I have tomatoe plants that start off great, then when they are about 18
inches tall and quite bushy, the top leaves start turning black and curl up
and die. This then gradually spreads down the whole plant and it then dies
completely.

What is the problem and how can I stop this spreading to my other tomato
plants.

My brother who lives 200 kilometres away from me is also having the same
problem.with his tomato plants

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Norman

Sounds like calcium deficiency.

See this page I found, has good descriptions and photos.

You may be able to recognise your problem from here.

As an aside, I hbave started a small hydroponic system, and when
checking the water Ph, it mentions that calcium uptake can be affected
if your Ph is over the 6.0 ~ 6.5 range.

Maybe you should check the Ph of your soil, and possibly also that
water you are using.

I have found that here in Perth. it is not uncommon for the scheme
water to have a Ph of around 8.00, and I have tokeep adding adjusters
to bring it down so the plants can make use of the nutients.

Perhaps this may help your situation

Tony
Old 10-01-2010, 07:53 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

I have tomatoe plants that start off great, then when they are about 18
inches tall and quite bushy, the top leaves start turning black and curl up
and die. This then gradually spreads down the whole plant and it then dies
completely.

What is the problem and how can I stop this spreading to my other tomato
plants.

My brother who lives 200 kilometres away from me is also having the same
problem.with his tomato plants

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Norman

Sounds like calcium deficiency.

See this page I found, has good descriptions and photos.

Whoopsie, forgot to put in the link.....

Here it is:-

http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/min-def/tomatoes.htm

Old 11-01-2010, 05:49 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno wrote:
This sounds like a fungal attack to me though I cannot say which one.
Has the weather been very wet and/or humid lately? There isn't much
you can do immediately except destroy the affected plants (burying
away from the vege garden is good) and replant away from the
infected area. Plant with wider spacing and tie them up religiously
to allow air to circulate. Try other cultivars because some are much
more resistent to fungus than others. Also be careful with watering.
Try to keep the leaves dry and just water the roots and avoid
kicking up mud with the hose. Drippers or soakers are good here
instead of sprayers or hosing. David

Yep David is probiscly right, but if you had planted a fungal
resistant type, you may have avoided the problem. also antifungal
sprays would also help. This needs to be applied when fungal problems
are most prevalent. IE high humidity.

It goes to show I can't be wrong all the time. Clearly I am not a
scientist.

This is caused by climate change, and we need to have the Copenhagen
treaty signed before it will work. Ask David Hare Scott about this...
Higher TAXATION WILL DEFINITELY HELP WITH THIS.

Local humidity is caused by weather. Whether the chance of the weather
trending towards more or less humidity in a particular location over the
next 30 years or whether it's because there is a wether standing over your
tomatos is another matter.

David

Old 11-01-2010, 10:53 AM posted to aus.gardens
PC PC is offline

I would have thought a better reply would have been the types of tomato
that are resistant to fungal attack.
I will help he
All you do is Google for the answer in future. Its easy enough to ask
the right qeustion once you know the possible problem...

*What is disease resistance?*

A. Disease resistance is the ability of a plant to withstand attack from
disease causing organisms such as bacteria, fungi, or viruses. The
extent of resistance can vary from being strongly resistant to infection
to being only somewhat more tolerant of the disease than standard
varieties. Resistance is not immunity. Improper culture of a resistant
variety may negate that resistance.

A. Plant breeders have a tough job to breed disease resistance into
crops because there are so many diseases and often several strains of a
given disease. What is often done is to select the disease that causes
the most problems and work on breeding resistance to that disease. Seed
catalogs and packets indicate what, if any, disease resistance a variety
has in descriptive text or with initials following the variety name.

Disease resistance in tomatoes indicated by initials include:

V - Verticillium wilt
F - Fusarium wilt (F1, race 1; F2, race 2)
N - nematode
T - tobacco mosaic virus
A - Alternaria alternata (crown wilt disease)
L - Septoria leafspot

This is something I didn't know either. Thanks for asking the question.